Hybrid View

Default Comic Convention Questions

So, I havent been to many conventions and I when I have I usually am not a signature guy.

I am considering getting some of my books autographed for this one.

Signing questions-

What types of books do artists prefer to sign? Books where they did the cover and all of the art, just a cover or variant cover, or the inside art? I guess the better question is, do artists prefer not to sign some books? Also, for an artist like Jim Lee, would he frown on signing book from Image or Marvel when he is the man over at DC?

CCG Questions-

Is getting a book CCG SIGNATURE SERIES a good idea? I guess the CCG guys will be at this con and offer their services. How much does this service cost? Is it cost viable over not getting it? How does it work (at a con)?

Commission Questions-

What is the cost associated with getting a commission? Does a sketch on a <insert comic title here> "blank sketch variant" cost more than just a basic sketch? Is it a party foul to ask an artist that has nothing to do with the comic/company/title to sketch a blank variant? I would like the notion of having some up-and-coming good artists sketch up some blank variants for me. In the event that one turns out completely amazing,.. would a CCG signature be a wise suggestion? Any ideas on the cost?

I'm sorry for my completely noob questions. I'm just a dude that used to collect comics in the late 80's-early 90's that has gotten back into it, and cant wait to go to a convention and come home with some really cool souvenirs.

Thanks,

Myztery

Is there a better place to post this?

This board is fine, it's just that it's been less than an hour.

I think artisst probably prefer to sign books that they worked on. I don't think it matters to them if they did the cover, but it would look nicer in your collection.

CGC Signature series is the only way to get a book signed without it losing a lot of its CGC value, so if that's important to you look into it.

Convention commission and sketch prices vary widely depending on the artist. Some artists will do a quick sketch for free, others will do a very detailed full figure commission for mucho dinero. The best thing I can tell you is get to the con early and get your order in if you want a detailed commission, they can only do so many in a day and if you wait you'll miss out.

I don't think it matters if you ask an artist who is currently working for one company to sketch another company's character. Artists move around a lot now anyway and they aren't that fanatically loyal.

Thanks Shawn for the reply.

I think the loyalty question would weigh a lot heavier on if said artist was screwed or has bad memories/experiences of past company or title.

Any idea on the prices for on the spot CCG services? I heard that if they are at the con, they can witness and grade the book at the con.

Depending on the artist, they'll even sign books they haven't worked on, if they're a bit more intimate with the character, but that's usually more for creator types.

Here's the deal with CCG -- are you planning on ever selling this stuff? Because that (and the fact that they stick it in a hard plastic binder suitable for framing) are the only real reasons to get anything CCG'd. If you are just doing this for your own personal gratification, no real need.

As for the blank variants, anyone will generally do anything on those, although as Shawn said, they'll probably charge. Every once in a while, you can get a free con sketch, usually if you're at the publisher booth, but it's a rarity these days. I blame ebay. And I'm serious, artists started to get pissed at people making money off their free con sketches. But the whole point of the variant blanks is to just give artists some room to con sketch. Let me put it this way -- if someone takes offense, they're a serious douchebag.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Thanks,

I ask about CCG because while meeting an artist and getting some items that are near and dear to the heart are part of standing in a signature line, there is also the possibility of a book increasing in value. My example would be meeting mcfarlane, I'd have him sign a favorite spawn book persoanlly to me, but probably ccg an Amazing Spiderman 299. I would think this would be a common plan for a collector. My dilemna is how much does this cost, lol. If its $100 a book to have the signature/grade,.. might not be worth the hassle. If its more like $25ish then I'd be interested in doing it.

I would pay for a sketch, and yeah, as an artist it would be assumed that anything signed or sketched on would go straight onto ebay. As a collector, I dont plan on puttin my crap on ebay, but later on down the road if I had to pick between keeping comics and being homeless, my stuff would be on ebay. Hate to think that I would ever be in that predicament, but I'm sure we would all sell our stuff if we needed the money.