Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zorb5 View Post
    I am probably only one, but Darkseid and New Gods never worked for me. I always found him very lame. I blame it on me reading White Wolf stuff before getting into comics. When I hear god of Evil I expect being capable of altering reality on whim, whose mere presence vaporizes weak minded and whose voice shatters buildings in range. Whose plan involve galaxies. Not space conquenor with rather meh appearance. Darkseid tends to be much more tell , than show to me.
    If you've read Final Crisis, then you'd probably realize that Darkseid is what you are asking for, just not in the very mortal way you actually put it...sry.
    At the end of Death of the New Gods Darkseid, as planned, had his body fall to Earth creating a hole in reality, one the Monitors feared world result in the collapse of the entire Orrey of Worlds, containing all 52 of DC's active universes. And this was Darkseids plan all along, as the scan above mentioned; he would take the worlds to an Hell without end or exit, where everything was Darkseid (if you want to get into psychology think of Darkseid as the ultimate form of the I).

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Strongest in terms of showed how powerful he was?

It's absolutely Seven Soldiers + Final Crisis, where combined he created a series of false, synthetic universes in which to trap Shiloh Norman/Mister Miracle/The Spirit of Freedom/Scott Free, then destroyed the DC Multiverse by simply falling into the physical realm after being MORTALLY wounded by Orion on higher, brighter realms. In that book he was treated as the end-of-everything, the instigator of every negative thought and deed that has ever been done, anywhere; a living, noumenal 'bad idea' of platonic proportions.

After that it's probably Great Darkness Saga.

In terms of what I think was the best take on the character? First and foremost it's his various appearances through Kirby's work, though I especially liked him in Hunger Dogs, the final issue of the New Gods, and a particular issue of Forever People that I'm sure many could guess at. There he had dimension.

Beyond the Kirby stuff, my personal favorite - and what I believe is the most dead on portrayal of the character - was the Simonson stuff. Issue 15 was the real highlight there where, after brilliantly manipulating his son to corruption, he has to destroy him through yet another scheme. When his work is done, he sheds a single, don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it tear, his only tribute to a noble warrior, a fierce opponent, and a son he was ever proud of.
    More or less what I would have said...

I'll roll with Final Crisis as well.

Another thing I want to say is that, given how well the Forever People were depicted in "Young Justice", I've got some hopes that Darkseid gets properly represented there. It's not that I thought he was underplayed in the JLU animated series, in fact that's where I met and learned to love Darkseid. I just felt like while they had "evil space warlord of the most powerful alien world" down, they didn't have that metatextual level of freaky Kirby God-powers.

I think all the glowy neon in the recent Forever People, all the gadgets that do things Superboy can't comprehend, and their combination into an even glowier neon Infinity Man ... all this from a team of New Genesis kids who aren't even the top level guys in an all-out war the way Orion would be? Good precursor.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I'm hoping 'Desaad' will address this because, as far as I'm aware, that is what Darkseid is...

The 'death presence', for example, was shown in Final Crisis...
    It is.

But that isn't how Darkseid is normally portrayed; that is a retcon that explains away all previous showings as avatars, flesh suits, shadows, etc.

To use the cave allegory , there is the true, platonic "Darkseid", but all we've ever seen are shadows of varying degrees of sharpness and depth cast against the 'cave wall' of the DC universe.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Final Crisis for me. I felt the overall story went a bit too out there for my tastes as it went on, but Darkseid's portrayal in the entire event was a constant pleasure.

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

I figure since Desaad said it I'd roll with seven soldiers and final crisis

it was the Omega Sanction in Mr Miracle right?

that was such a craaaaaazy story

then final crisis him falling into our reality, so trippy
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Despite the fact that I hate Final Crisis...I do have to acknowledge that the speech in Final Crisis #5 was Darkseid's greatest moment.

There. Never let it be said that I never said anything good about that series...

Egotistical Meglomaniac TJKernan's Avatar

The Great Darkness Saga was a much, much better story than that jumbled mess of Final Crisis. That is is bad-a$$ ultimate Darkseid for me.
    Bring back my DC! In the meantime, make mine Marvel and Image!

Great darkness saga and final crisis

I'll have to read GDS one of these days. I know it only summarized and by reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    Final Crisis. He got the Anti-Life Equation and was almost unstoppable and represented a big threat not only to the DCU but to the entire multiverse.
    And then superman sing him to death ?

I know you're mostly just joking, but...

That was only after all of the following happened:

- Orion mortally wounded Darkseid on a higher plane of existence, causing him to tumble through dimensions until he landed on the physical multiverse with such force he created a black hole big enough to suck it all up.

- Batman shot him with a primal, platonic 'bullet', the very idea of the bullet, loaded up with radion, New God kryptonite.

- He was hit by his own Omega Beams

- He was hit by two Flashes moving at near light speed.

- He was hit by the Black Racer

Only after all of that did Superman kill what little remained with a song. :)
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Definitely Seven Soldiers of Victory+Final Crisis Darkseid for me, really redefined what Darkseid could be to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post

Only after all of that did Superman kill what little remained with a song. :)
    At a frequency which tore apart his throat - the 'little' that remained was still a 'stubborn idea'.

Quote Originally Posted by TJKernan View Post
    The Great Darkness Saga was a much, much better story than that jumbled mess of Final Crisis. That is is bad-a$$ ultimate Darkseid for me.

I guess the only problem I have with that is that the story explicitly states that it was not Darkseid at his full powers, so despite loving Great Darkness like a family member, I'd have to go with Final Crisis.

But my favorite is still Simonson's Orion 12-15.