Question Need help with comics time line please

I enjoy reading comic books but cannot keep up with all the stories or even catch up with past storylines, etc., partially because I can't afford it and partially because there is a lot of comic history and I am a relatively new comic reader. But I do like to read some as I am able. My problem is that for some stories it is nice to know what is happening in other titles or in the universe in general or to know past events.

My questions is: Is there any outline of main events/important happenings of either past or current events or both? I'd love to be able to have some reference material so I can read the stories in context.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BreakingTheFourthWall; 05-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.

DC just rebooted in september. While some old stories may still have happened, we don't know for certain, and it's not important to know right now anyways.
    Currently Reading: The Authority, Bone

Comics Of Days Past - Reading the greats of yesteryear

That's mostly true except for the Green Lantern stuff, which was carried over intact. You may be able to pick all that up just by starting with the new #1s (I have), but if you want the full depth of that story you should check out Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and the Sinestro Corps War stuff...I think that would get you up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    That's mostly true except for the Green Lantern stuff, which was carried over intact. You may be able to pick all that up just by starting with the new #1s (I have), but if you want the full depth of that story you should check out Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and the Sinestro Corps War stuff...I think that would get you up to speed.
    Just keep in mind that some of that Blackest Night, Brightest Day, etc. stuff couldn't happen as they were originally presented because of changes to some of the other, non-GL characters (like Green Arrow).

Since DC wanted to keep some of their past somewhat intact and not do a clean reboot of EVERYTHING, it would be nice / make sense if they at least provided a basic timeline saying what events still happened when, without providing a lot of details so they's still be free to develop them later. But evidence so far seems to be . . . DC doesn't have any clue, either, as to what's still canon or not.

Just start from all the new #1's that began in September last year . . . a bunch of harcover and trade paperback collections of the New 52 series are starting to come out this month as well, and if you're into it, there's always the digital versions avail through comixology (available at less than cover price if it's not the current issue).
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-10-2012 at 09:16 AM.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Just begin reading. Natural curiosity will lead you where to go next...

I started with Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes. Then World's Finest (this was back in late 1970's/early 80s.) That led me to Batman, which led me to Justice League, etc...I learned backstory from just reading stuff. Eventually it all made sense. The important thing is to find what you like. People at your LCS can help with the rest.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just keep in mind that some of that Blackest Night, Brightest Day, etc. stuff couldn't happen as they were originally presented because of changes to some of the other, non-GL characters (like Green Arrow).

Since DC wanted to keep some of their past somewhat intact and not do a clean reboot of EVERYTHING, it would be nice / make sense if they at least provided a basic timeline saying what events still happened when, without providing a lot of details so they's still be free to develop them later. But evidence so far seems to be . . . DC doesn't have any clue, either, as to what's still canon or not.
    All true. I think the best bet for new readers is to get in at the #1s and look for the answer to individual questions as they arise (ex, "What's the big deal with this Black Hand dude in Green Lantern?") rather than try to get a comprehensive background that may or may not still apply.

Thanks for the advice, everybody.

I should have mentioned that I also like to read stories from before the reboot. So far I've just picked up trade paperbacks that look interesting and fill in the blanks as they come up. It also helps that I have a general knowledge of certain characters. This seems to work just fine for many stories but there is the odd one that comes up where some background would probably be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingTheFourthWall View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everybody.

I should have mentioned that I also like to read stories from before the reboot. So far I've just picked up trade paperbacks that look interesting and fill in the blanks as they come up. It also helps that I have a general knowledge of certain characters. This seems to work just fine for many stories but there is the odd one that comes up where some background would probably be helpful.
    Well, if you're reading pre-Flashpoint stuff, it then depends on which previous periods you want to consider.

If you can find it, there was a book (originally released as two "prestige format" issues) called History of the DC Universe that originally came out after Crisis on Infinite Earths. It gave a general idea of what eras in the past produced different heroes, and also touched a little on how some of the more recent major events seemed to play out in this merged universe.

About ten years later, in the back of the final issue of Zero Hour (issue 0 I believe . . . the numbering of the series started with issue 5 and then went backwards) there was a foldout timeline chart that incorporated the changes / "fixes" that resulted from that event.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you can find it, there was a book (originally released as two "prestige format" issues) called History of the DC Universe that originally came out after Crisis on Infinite Earths. It gave a general idea of what eras in the past produced different heroes, and also touched a little on how some of the more recent major events seemed to play out in this merged universe.
    Oh, that sounds great. I'll check that out. Thanks.

I feel the best way to read comics is to pick up what looks interesting and read it (obviously complete story arcs are preferable here and not just issues from the middle or whatever). If certain events are referenced and you're interested then give them a little wiki research and pick them up as well. Reading comics is nowhere near as complicated as people make it out to be.

I started off in the DCU reading Green Arrow (the Smith/Meltzer/Winick stuff) which reads great on it's own whilst alluding to the wider DCU. From there I was led to Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis which led to be reading 52 and Green Lantern and so forth.