View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimate Comics: X-Men #11

Voters
41. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue!

11 26.83%
  • Good. I enjoy where this story is going.

17 41.46%
  • Meh. Could've been better, but I didn't hate it.

10 24.39%
  • Bad. I don't really care for this story.

2 4.88%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

1 2.44%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Ultimate Comics: X-Men #11 review by Wolverine12

It's been a while since I've done one of these so you'll have to forgive me if I'm off my game.

Ok lets start with Spider-Man in this issue, Peter Parker is absolutely......just kidding Spoilers

spoilers:

-We start at Camp Angel with the Nimrod Sentinels arriving and wreaking havoc
    -Agent Walker tells Storm that he knows a way out, the gather as many kids as they can, which is apparently only 4/5
    -Storm thinks the US gov't sent the Sentinels. Walker tells her its something else
    -This must take place before Ultimates 9 because Val Cooper is in DC and DC is still intact. There is lots of admitting its over and the Sentinels have won and people telling us how this is so much worse than the flood
    -They mention Arizona, this isn't important except for the fact it's where I live :)
    -Cut to Kitty's crew learning about the sentinels
    -The President declares the Southwestern US lost and have conceded it to the sentinels and basically tells everybody living there "good luck you're on your own"
    -Nimrods are building a "Mastermold" Sentinel in the Arizona desert, it looks like Styker
    end of spoilers

Warnig, the following review may contain some minor spoilers!

Ok so that was different. I feel that some of this issue was re-written to accommodate Spencer leaving and Wood signing on, maybe that's just me though. It was an issue of set up which I understand happens a lot with Spencer now, but we didn't really need this to move forward. Last issue we saw the Sentinels arrive at Camp Angel, and we already knew that they were not under gov't control. This issue mostly hammered home the idea that the Sentinels had gone rogue which as I said we already knew. Another aspect of this issue that bothered me was how nobody ever seemed to even try to fight back, the Prez gets on TV and says "well best of luck to everyone, let us know how it turns out for you." Not really riveting storytelling. I also felt like they were trying to force the "seriousness" of the situation down my throat. At some point somebody mentions how this is wore than what happened during Ultimatum, to say this is worse than what happened in Ultimatum is a pretty bold statement especially to a fan who's been there since the beginning. Truth be told that one line kind of took me out of the story, because now I'm comparing everything that happens in this one issue with everything that went down in the 5 issues of Ultimatum, this doesn't even feel as dangerous as what's going on over in Ultimates much less the worst thing ever to happen in the UU. The whole issue just felt like it was trying really hard to tell us how bad everything was and it came across as very forced to me and it really kept me from being able to enjoy the issue.

The biggest plus of the issue has to be the art, Medina has been amazing on this series and I hope he sticks around.

Overall I felt this issue was kinda "meh." It certainly doesn't help that in the back of my head I'm wondering if Spencer will get to address his 2 biggest plot threads in his final 2 issues.

If you are a completeist I would say get this, but if you are only reading UCXM casually you could completely skip this issue and be fine

Story: 6/10
    Writing: 6/10
    Art: 9/10
    Overall: 6.9/10
    Last edited by Wolverine12; 05-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Elder Member

OHMYFREAKINGGODWHATTHEHELLISHAPPENING!!? WHYAREMYOPINIONSMATCHINGUPWITHEVERYONEELSES!!? I'm scared. Will someone hold me?

I really liked it, but the decompression was a bit much. I just want this all to happen already!

The biggest problem I have with this is that Spencer is clearly abandoning his long-form story here. At this pace, the odds of us getting any sort of conclusion to the "god" storyline and sudden reappearance of Magneto, Xavier, and Scarlet Witch is pretty small, and that's a shame. And you're right about the setup for Wood's run. This is definitely heading towards Divided We Fall. Hopefully that's worth missing out on Spencer's original plan.

I agree with you about Medina. The two page spread with Nimro in front of four cities was great.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Setup for Divided we fall?
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

Master Mold?
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

There was way too much decompression in this issue. That being said, the little story progress we did get to see was AWESOME. It finally seems like the events in UCXM are affecting the UU. And when I saw those Nimrod's building what I will assume was a Master Mold, my jaw hit the floor. Everyone's shit is hitting the fan at a breakneck speed. The only thing I didn't understand is when Val said something like "they're retaliating for letting them live" wtf was she talking about?

EDIT: NVM, I get it. It was just bad grammar. She was saying the Nimrods were attacking humans because we didn't kill the mutants.
    Last edited by Codah; 05-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Comics are more better.

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

I gotta say, that ending with the Mastermold sentinel was just chilling possibly just alone by how much it resembles Stryker and you know that it's him. If I ever saw something looking like that in reality, I'd go the other way. One thing I do wonder though is, why were the Nimrods also attacking humans?

One thing I wonder though is, where did Colossus go? Everyone else important was at the start yet not him.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 05-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Elder Member

Okay good, my opinions aren't matching. I found the final page unbelievably silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I gotta say, that ending with the Mastermold sentinel was just chilling possibly just alone by how much it resembles Stryker and you know that it's him. If I ever saw something looking like that in reality, I'd go the other way. One thing I do wonder though is, why were the Nimrods also attacking humans?

One thing I wonder though is, where did Colossus go? Everyone else important was at the start yet not him.
    Since Stryker is the Nimrods, I would assume he's on his holy crusade and since humans won't exterminate mutants, he's attacking us too.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Okay good, my opinions aren't matching. I found the final page unbelievably silly.
    But bro, Master Mold. Master. Mold.
    Comics are more better.

out of focus but anbody else think Walker could be the next Captain America

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    out of focus but anbody else think Walker could be the next Captain America
    Somebody said in an interview a while ago that there will be no Ultimate USAgent anytime soon. That's not a complete omission but take from it what you will.
    Comics are more better.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    But bro, Master Mold. Master. Mold.
    Is that supposed to mean something to me?

Is that supposed to mean something to me?
    Master Mold is awesome. It should at least mean that
    Comics are more better.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    Master Mold is awesome. It should at least mean that
    Looked REALLY silly to me. A giant Stryker robot? We couldn't just have all the Nimrod's connect to each other and make it?

Looked REALLY silly to me. A giant Stryker robot? We couldn't just have all the Nimrod's connect to each other and make it?
    That's fair, I'm just a bitch for Master Mold. If inked correctly though, the battle with MASTERNIMRODSTRYKERMOLD could be en epic fight. Makes me reminisce about the first arc of Ultimate X-Men. Then again, he could just be a factory with a consciousness but I assume he'll get up and smash some shit.
    Comics are more better.