Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hellboy: The Fury Part 1 - Motion comics

MTV interviews Mike Mignola and io9 interviews Mike Mignola

I'm not a fan of motion comics (I really don't see the point), but he also talks about Hellboy in Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I'm not a fan of motion comics (I really don't see the point).
    But then maybe that has to do with you feeling a fan of the actual comics, or even just the actual reading of comics, which not all people might
    be to have or feel.
    I mean there'll be people catching some toons or flicks, maybe with even owning comics, or a t-shirt or either some batman lunchbox in a drawer,
    who wouldn't be thinking of ever actually reading such a thing as a comic book.

I'd say it's very well done. And I like the swiftness or easyness to these Hellboy-related motion comics - like they'd seem summaries more rather,
    because that way they may still function as being to refer to the comics as being the actual thing to be checking out.

Animated comic features such as this or any of the Hellboy-related ones, as being actually based on comic storytelling, will be not only quality-made,
    with even presenting highly functional sound both as voice-acting to them, I'm quite sure they'd be capable of attracting new readers onto the
    actual reading of comics, better than quite a number of high budget superhero movies would, because those movies generally don't seem that intent on following the actual comic storytelling as closely.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I'm sure the format has its fans, but, yeah, it doesn't work for me. It's a compromised artform. The composition of the frames are clearly not made for motion, and given the many frame sizes of the comic, it often forces camera moves with no motivation from the scene itself and the reveals become stilted. It can never really come into its own because of the restrictions forced on it by the comic it's translating.

I agree it's very well done, though it seems like a lot of effort has gone into producing something that's little more than a fancy animatic. The appeal of such things is utterly lost on me, I'm afraid. I just don't see the attraction. But to each their own.

BANNED

that's kind of terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    that's kind of terrible...
    I like that you didn't even try to soften that. Yes, it is terrible.
    Last edited by Middenway; 05-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.

BANNED

It is, as always, ruined by the voice acting. whatever quality it has is totally nullified by awful voice acting. Same as Spider-Woman.

Granted, I am not at all the target audience for this.

Once you get past the terribly written exposition it was fairly decent, much better than the ones from the chained coffin they used to have on the Darkhorse site. Like those old shorts though I think this motion comic could very well be a decent gateway into Hellboy for new readers so I'm all for it.

But if you're behind on Hellboy, don't watch it! Spoilers! :(

It's a compromised artform.
    It isn't. It's an advertisement for a comic. A guide or hinting towards how the reading of this comic could be to work. Well made and fun,
    but no more than that.

Like underlining how Mignola or Fegredo pages might not only be limited to pointing out who says what or whatever motion performance
    would be of note.

Like how for instance complete moods or manners would be conveyed as by a single panel or either how panels in sequence would not be
    merely for proving in actual sequence perfectly.

Like how Fegredo actually manages to convey how Hellboy's mouth or 'lips' would be capable of flexing and smirking, whereas totally
    unfamiliar readers might consider Hellboy as having to resemble some sort of robot-face or ironclad Sesame-muppet going only
    "wah-wah-wah" or somethin'.

Like how both Mignola's and Fegredo's pages often portray Hellboy as strolling unhastily as by putting him in front or almost past
    a space to be wandering through, as by one single or large panel. In such a way will graphical storytelling be quite a signature
    thing to Mike Mignola, in how he may choose to capture a full manner or fashion of moving about, more rather than to dedicate
    a separate panel anytime an occurence or shift would be to happen.

No Hollywood movie can capture or explain how come Hellboy could never have been written by a writer or cineast but only by
    a comic artist. This does that however, by actually remaining to be consisting of the actual comic art and hardly more. That would
    be all it tries to do - it's not animation, but a motion feature to an actually existing comic.
    I'd think.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-10-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    It isn't. It's an advertisement for a comic.
    if it's only an ad then you're right, it isn't a compromised art form, because it isn't art at all.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    if it's only an ad then you're right, it isn't a compromised art form, because it isn't art at all.
    Well, yeah, sort of. The same way Andy Warhol's Banana wouldn't be *art*, but firstly a Velvet Underground album cover. Who cares if the image would fit any posh gallery or not.

Anybody about to be watching the Fury motion comic thing (part 1), as by clicking "play", what they'd gonna be seeing, would be a focusing on what Hellboy: The Fury is, as being a comic made by Fegredo/Mignola, as an artform or format, or whatever.
    Eventhough there might be some animatedness or sound involved, it still purely focuses on the comic book format, the graphical storytelling as by Fegredo and Mignola.

It might seem nice to think "what if Hellboy was a Hitchcock movie", or "what if Hellboy were a Shakespeare play", or "how cool would a Hellboy VS the Punisher cartoon be" but then such would be what Hellboy isn't. What Hellboy is, is a comic book, created by Mike Mignola.

For either highbrow artcritics or fans of the Avengers-movie in 3D: if they'd wanna find out what Hellboy would be, they'd only need to go be reading the comic.
    . ~

It's a compromised artform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    It isn't. It's an advertisement for a comic. A guide or hinting towards how the reading of this comic could be to work. Well made and fun,
    but no more than that.
    I have no problem with it existing. Like you said, it brings in new readers. But it is compromised in its execution and always will be until a comic is designed from the ground up to be a motion comic. There are certain decisions made for a comic, especially knowing it will be viewed on two open pages at a time, that just don't work when translated to a motion comic. No matter how good it is, it's always compensating for the fact that it wasn't designed to be viewed this way.

That and the voice acting is terrible (I'm sorry, but it is. Literally (and I really do mean literally, not figuratively) I turned off the sound within ten seconds).

It's like anything translated from another medium. Things get lost in translation. In many cases motion comics just don't have the same visual vocabulary as standard comics. And the things that motion comics do do well (like camera moves) are not taken advantage of because they aren't used in relation to the story, but try instead to squeeze as much of the original comic frame in as possible.

That's what I mean when it's compromised. The composition of shots alone is a nightmare. Motion comics work with a fixed frame size which is always wide. Standard comics don't. In fact, most comic panels are taller than they are wide, which means in order to show as much of the original comic as possible, the camera is always moving. It feels like an animation student's film when they first discover they can move a CG camera in ways they couldn't in traditional animation and start using it all the time without any restraint at all.

A motion comic will always be compromised in its execution until the shots are designed with the standard 16:9 viewing in mind from the very beginning. The same goes with dialogue, sound effects, direction of action, use of colour, they way backgrounds are treated... it's a long list.

I originally got into Hellboy thanks to the motion comics on the Playboy site back in the nineties, so I think they're ultimately a useful tool. If they drum up support for Hellboy in Hell, then that's wonderful.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall View Post
    If they drum up support for Hellboy in Hell, then that's wonderful.
    Agreed. It's always nice to have new fans.