View Poll Results: What should Damian's fate be after Morrison?

Voters
97. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Kill him off; nobody else can write him properly

11 11.34%
  • Let him live; he’s a great addition to the Batman family

50 51.55%
  • Let him switch to being Nightwing’s sidekick

14 14.43%
  • Change his code name to something more appropriate

0 0%
  • Have him replace (or kill off) Jason Todd and take over the Outlaws

1 1.03%
  • Give him a sex change and have him be the new Batgirl

4 4.12%
  • Have his brain / thought patterns transplanted into Titus (his dog)

3 3.09%
  • Have him and Bruce change bodies, so he takes control of Wayne Industries

0 0%
  • Have him dispatched into the past, possibly eventually returning to the present

0 0%
  • * Let him just disappear until Morrison eventually comes back to the Bat-books

5 5.15%
  • I don’t care

5 5.15%
  • Other (please explain)

4 4.12%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Damian Continue to Be Robin?

Here's something I've been wondering about . . . and, no, this is not a "dump Damain" rant.

Robin was conceived as more of "a laughing, fighting, young daredevil who scoffs at danger" (wording from Detective Comics 38, 1940). Tim became the third Robin to Batman because he felt Batman needed a lighter, brighter counterpoint to keep Batman from being too dark and all.

But Damian ain't it. He's not a bright, smiling, happy-go-lucky kid. He's killied before (even before Nobody), and he could easily do so again in the future.

Should he maybe take on a different identity to reflect his slightly darker, more serious side?

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Here's something I've been wondering about . . . and, no, this is not a "dump Damain" rant.

Robin was conceived as more of "a laughing, fighting, young daredevil who scoffs at danger" (wording from Detective Comics 38, 1940). Tim became the third Robin to Batman because he felt Batman needed a lighter, brighter counterpoint to keep Batman from being too dark and all.

But Damian ain't it. He's not a bright, smiling, happy-go-lucky kid. He's killied before (even before Nobody), and he could easily do so again in the future.

Should he maybe take on a different identity to reflect his slightly darker, more serious side?
    Now it is the other way around. Batman must lighten Damians' mental load. It is his duty as his father. And where better to do it than by his side? He needs to keep him close.

But, don't worry. Nothing is permanent in comics, ever.
    Namor is King! Killraven too. Mantis is the greatest!

Shatterstar is gay. Deadpool is Bi.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Robin was conceived as more of "a laughing, fighting, young daredevil who scoffs at danger" (wording from Detective Comics 38, 1940).
    ...I dunno, sounds like Damian to me. Well, he doesn't often laugh, I suppose, but he still makes jokes and so on.

Well Robin isnt supposed to be happy. He isnt supposed to have a specific personality. Dick was happy go lucky, Jason was serious and troubled, and Tim was somewhere in between.

Damian should continue to be Robin, but because he's dark, he needs a brighter partner to bounce off like... oh i dunno... Dickbats? Even Morrison thought that DC would keep them together because of how successful they were as a duo.

But there's still hope for Bruce and Damian if Tomasi (B&R) and Morrison (in Inc) use the happier and more easy going Batman that we've had ever since he came back, and they dont focus so much on Damian's issues. From having a good relationship with Dick and having some issues to solve, now he's paired with Bruce and they fight all the time and Damian is a psychopath that Bruce needs to reign in.

You could say well Damian always was too violent, and that would be true, but B&R never focused that much on his issues, his issues would be solved subtly along the way, and it never showed him killing animals and acting like Jim Gordon Jr because that's cool and edgy and dark and deep.

tl;dr just get Morrison or Bryan Q Miller on B&R and Damian will be fun again.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-05-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Jason wasn't a douche. He was a great Robin.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Aaaand just as i was typing that post FHIZ posted a preview from Inc #1. Morrison is already answering my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Here are the pages

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zPpf-QdgOV...HU/s1600/1.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nzLtQKBu8e...0c/s1600/2.jpg

I love how Burnham drew Damian taking out all the thugs.

That said, I've counted, and we've officially seen 10 pages of this issue, in one form or the other... I certainly hope it doesn't diminish the impact upon release, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Jason wasn't a douche. He was a great Robin.
    Douche was the wrong word. I meant more like... troubled, serious, brooding. Certainly not the happy go lucky Robin.

I edited my post.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Nasty little Damian needs must continue in the role that he has helped make fun again. Dick was a merrymaker, Jason a droog, and Tim was a burgeoning clone. Damien out of all of them, feels the most unique.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

They should be different. They are different people. Robin does not look like a clown. Just a bit gawdy. :-) Still hard to believe he's 10.
    Namor is King! Killraven too. Mantis is the greatest!

Shatterstar is gay. Deadpool is Bi.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Yes.

/Thread

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Yes. /thread.

Dead baby humour is the best. Can you see Dick Grayson joking about a baby falling out of a tree? Damian on the other hand...

EDIT: I get ninja'd by a minute with the exact same start of response? FML this happens too often.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

I think his different personality compared to the rest of the Robins is what's going to keep him in the role for years to come. DC has never made this character so dark and gritty before. It's always been about Batman being that dark one and Robin being the colorful one. This time however we have Dark and Darker.

I think DC really wants to set a good direction for this character and evolve him into something different from the others. He's simply too unique to pass on.

Damian will be Robin for at least 10 more years. Mark my words.
    Remember me? No? I'm the guy who gets all his facts about comics from Wikipedia!

Currently Reading: Robin (ongoing)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    But there's still hope for Bruce and Damian if Tomasi (B&R) and Morrison (in Inc) use the happier and more easy going Batman that we've had ever since he came back, and they dont focus so much on Damian's issues. From having a good relationship with Dick and having some issues to solve, now he's paired with Bruce and they fight all the time and Damian is a psychopath that Bruce needs to reign in.
    But between Snyder's Talon-troubled Batman and Tomasi's clueless parent Bruce, I think they would need to hire Stephanie Brown as a nanny to help Damian loosen us. (Alfred is cool, but he can't go as crazy as Stephanie would.)

Well Dicks to old, and Damina is better than Tim and Jason so yeah he should continue

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Douche was the wrong word. I meant more like... troubled, serious, brooding. Certainly not the happy go lucky Robin.

I edited my post.

Last edited by coveredinbees; 05-05-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.