Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Sal Buscema Discusses "G.I Joe," "Incredible Hulk" & More

One of the great artists of Marvel's Bronze Age, Sal Buscema spoke with CBR News about his long career, being legendary and his current work inking "G.I. Joe" and "Dungeons and Dragons: Forgotten Realms" for IDW.

Full article here.

Sal Buscema: class act as a person, class act as an artist.
    "Being in a minority, even a minority of one, does not make you mad... Sanity is not statistical."
    George Orwell, "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by Boabie View Post
    Sal Buscema: class act as a person, class act as an artist.
    Agreed 100%! What a gentleman. I didn't realize he was in his 80s -- but his work is still great!

Super interview! Thank you so much for doing this one!

That was a great interview, and I have to say, seeing Sal Buscema and Ron Frenz's work on GI Joe has been an absolute joy. The annual, written by Hama and drawn by Sal, Frenz, Trimpe and Wagner, has to be one of my comic book-reading highlights of the past several years. I loved it.

On a side note, I really enjoy Gallant and Erskine's work on the series as well. And Hama has been knocking it out of the park every issue. This book is really going from strength to strength.

Sal is just so all around awesome, one of my favorite artists at Marvel.

Elder Member

I've never read a GI Joe comic, but I might have to check this out. I love the Frenz/Buscema combo, and that B&W cover art is gorgeous. (Those D&D pages with Ferguson don't look too shabby either.)

Thanos Copter Marak the Merciless's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    That was a great interview, and I have to say, seeing Sal Buscema and Ron Frenz's work on GI Joe has been an absolute joy. The annual, written by Hama and drawn by Sal, Frenz, Trimpe and Wagner, has to be one of my comic book-reading highlights of the past several years. I loved it.

On a side note, I really enjoy Gallant and Erskine's work on the series as well. And Hama has been knocking it out of the park every issue. This book is really going from strength to strength.
    Totally agree! I pick up a *lot* of books every month, and Hama's G.I. Joe:ARAH is so good month after month that it makes a lot of the other action/superhero books out there seem lifeless by comparison. Nobody plots action and interweaving subplots like Larry H!

I hope we see more G.I. Joe with Trimpe/Buscema, but yes a major tip of the hat goes to Gallant/Erskine for making that book shine every month. Maybe we can have a twice-monthly RAH with the artists interchanging??? Ahhh wishful thinking!

Love Sal's work at Marvel! New Mutants, Rom, Thor and so many more. I wish more modern artists had his artistic sensibilities.

Sal is one of the best and to some extent one of the most underrated comic artists in the industry. He has such a vivid, dynamic expressive style!
    His run on Incredible Hulk is still one of my favorite runs of any comic ever.
    Defenders too. Anything he did really, it was always a pleasure to read something he penciled.
    The original Nova series was another really cool series I enjoyed and I remember being really pissed off when he was replaced by Carmine Infantino.
    I'm not as familiar with his recent work, but I'm gonna have to check for that G.I.Joe annual.

The devil is a gentleman. devildinosaur's Avatar

A classier guy there never was--Sal is a comics god.

Great article, Alex! Thanks!