Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Yeah, I really hope this story touches on Panya in some way.
    It was in the Hellmail of The Burning Hand #5.
    Ahh thats why I'll have missed it! I think this might indirectly fehaature some Panya stuff too. I can't see her appearing in person though seen as far as we know she was still stuck with the Oanes society in the 30's and had never heard of Lobster Johnson before the events of The Warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Uk View Post
    Cool! I'm trade waiting for the Burning hand because I assumed the DHP story 'Tony Masso's finest hour' would be collected alongside it
    According to the solicitations, the trade will only collect The Burning Hand #1-5, so Tony Masso's Finest Hour will probably be in the third trade when that comes along.

For the hell of it, here's a picture from Wilfredo Torres's blog:

Surprisingly, this is not an image from the upcoming Prayer of Neferu (I know you are so very surprised to hear this).
    Last edited by Middenway; 06-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    According to the solicitations, the trade will only collect The Burning Hand #1-5, so Tony Masso's Finest Hour will probably be in the third trade when that comes along.

For the hell of it, here's a picture from Wilfredo Torres's blog:

Surprisingly, this is not an image from the upcoming Prayer of Neferu (I know you are so very surprised to hear this).
    It looks like Bran from the Game of Thrones, great image though.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It looks like Bran from the Game of Thrones, great image though.
    Yes, it is Bran. (No, there won't be a Game of Thrones/Lobster Johnson crossover)

All I know of Game of Thrones - since it doesn't air where I'm at - is that season 2 features the Dutch actress Carice van Houten as a carrothaired fair-eyed oracle of which the the name starts with an M. She's very cool, really a buff lady. Her role in the Game is pretty prominent I'm told, so that's cool.
    Is Sean Bean still alive in the series? That guy always seems to end up dead if a production features him! Like he'd be Roger a bit.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

A quote from Scott Allie:
    "There’s a Lobster Johnson comic coming up [The Prayer of Neferu] where there is a little bit of Egyptian occultism going on, and who knows, a year from now we could decide that ties into Panya’s origin or something. That’s the kind of connection we might make. I doubt we’ll make that particular one."
    So there may be a Panya connection, but it won't be in this story.

I hope there is... she is TOO much of a mystery still!

Quote Originally Posted by Storey74 View Post
    I hope there is... she is TOO much of a mystery still!
    That's true. With so much happening, she's rather an under-explored character.

I think I would more rather be regarding Panya as 'too much of a mystery', than 'under-explored' like needlessly, from how I would have been reading Hellboy & the B.P.R.D.

Which might seem as wordplay, but I'd feel the storytelling for these titles being more rather carefully executed with keeping tension and enigmaticness at full throttle - intentionally, pretty much.

I totally agree how Panya seems enigmatic a hell of a lot, like ruthlessly mysterious almost. But I'd be guessing such to being intentional, or purposeful, pretty much. Even with stuff happening. Like will she be this quaint mummy thing, or an elderly lady with some kinda past?

Still I think I can personally feel rather comfortable with BPRD narration seeming more like an intricate booktale instead of just a loudly uneconomic television-type-of-thing like 'Dexter' or 'Star Trek Generation 2000'.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I know what you mean, but I think Panya is under-explored. Is she a ward of the BPRD like Professor O'Donnell? And if so, why is she kept at headquarters rather than a hospital? What services does she offer the BPRD that warrants them keeping her in HQ on a day to day basis? O'Donnell makes sense, his vast knowledge is very useful, but Panya doesn't do anything that any other BPRD agent couldn't. Which brings up the question, is she employed by the BPRD? This is why I'm eager to see a miniseries with her as a more central character. I'd like to see the basics of her character fleshed out a bit more. Her grander mysteries she can keep 'til the story requires them, but I would like to know better where she stands with the BPRD whether she has any particular duties or not, or if she's just treating BPRD HQ like a nursing home. It's not like I need to know all this stuff, but it would help to get a sense of it, to enforce the boundaries that exist for the character, and what the expectations other characters have for them.

Plus I want to see her start walking. She's due for it real soon...
    Last edited by Middenway; 07-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Last edited by Middenway; 08-02-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Removing images

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Heinek View Post
    Ya know, if I wanted to *see* the preview pages I would have clicked on the link or even on the article on the main CBR page. I don't recall previous threads with links to previews having the actual pages attached too. Why change now?
    Sorry. Was trying something new. I figured thumbnails were too small to reveal anything, but oh well. Fixed now. Sorry again.
    Last edited by Middenway; 08-02-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Removing images

Into the Wasteland Erwin Heinek's Avatar

Ya know, if I wanted to *see* the preview pages I would have clicked on the link or even on the article on the main CBR page. I don't recall previous threads with links to previews having the actual pages attached too. Why change now?

Hi, Its been a while. I'm looking forward to this, I really enjoyed the burning hand and the cover to the first issue looks really good.
    I'm very sorry to be so late, Katherine.
    The weather is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBranMan788 View Post
    Hi, Its been a while. I'm looking forward to this, I really enjoyed the burning hand and the cover to the first issue looks really good.
    It's only a one-shot this time around. But there are many more on their way. The following month is Caput Mortuum with art by Tonci Zonjic, and not too long after that there will be a one-shot with art by Kevin Nowlan and another story (a one-shot or two-issue mini... I'm not sure) with art by Sebastian Fiumara (brother of Max Fiumara who did BPRD Hell on Earth: The Transformation of J.H. O'Donnell and BPRD: 1948). I don't know if this is still the plan, but after there's been enough short stories to fill a trade, there will be another big mini with art by Tonci Zonjic like The Burning Hand.
    Last edited by Middenway; 08-05-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo