View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimates #10?

Voters
58. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! I can't wait for the next issue.

38 65.52%
  • Good. I enjoy where this is going.

15 25.86%
  • Meh. Could have been better, but I didn't hate it.

3 5.17%
  • Bad. I don't really care for this story.

1 1.72%
  • Awful. I wish I didn't read it.

1 1.72%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ultimates #10 Discussion - SPOILERS

With new co-writer Sam Humphries joining fan favorite Jonathan Hickman, Ultimates keeps on rocking. The Ultimates are left to deal with the fallout from Reed's attack on Washington, and no one knows what to do. What comes next for Earth's Most Ultimate Heroes?

spoilers:

-Rhodes goes to Colorado to retrieve the Secretary of Energy, who is next in line for US President after Reed's attack.
    -Agent Flumm has taken over SHIELD and wants to meet with Fury.
    -Fury, Hawkeye, Falcon, and Black Widow escape from the Helicarrier.
    -Fury goes invisible and the other three head for California.
    -As Tony and Thor prepare to make a plan, Tony passes out.
    -Thor takes him to Sue Storm, who tells Tony his Tumor is back.
    -Tony informs her that Reed is responsible for the attacks.
    -Meanwhile, Reed plans to defend another attack from the US or Tian.
    -Back in Asgard, Modi's hand, clutching Thor's hammer, bursts from the World Tree.
    end of spoilers

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point that every issue of Hickman's Ultimates is going to be awesome. It's like watching Breaking Bad; you don't know what's going to happen - and you don't even care - but you know it's going to be good. Adding Sam Humphries to the team doesn't change that. This is still one heck of a comic book.

The writing continues to be solid. All the characters were well handled, as they have been for the entire series. Of particular note was, once again, Tony Stark's characterization. I loved the little hallucination of who I assume is a young version of himself. He's obviously very serious about the subject, but he embraces it with a playfulness and charm that only he can pull off. It was also really nice to see Sue Storm again. She and Ben have been sorely missing from the relaunched UU, and I think things are going to get really interesting now that she's involved. The same can be said for War Machine, who hopefully continues to play a part in the book.

Along with a new co-writer, the book also has a new artist, but the addition isn't quite as seamless. Luke Ross is talented, there's no doubting that, but he's a definite step down from the awe-inspiring wonder that was Esad Ribic. Ribic brought something really unique to the book, but I don't get the sense of anything like that from this issue. The art is also inconsistent. It ranges from fantastically Hitch-esque, like in the page of the space station, to bland. Only the scene with Tony on the roof really stood out to me as something special, but it also gave me hope that Ross can develop his style to become a solid artist for the book for the few issues he's on board. I think some of the issue is with the coloring, but there's also the awkward face of Agent Flumm in the Triskelion.

To his defense, though, Ross has some stiff competition when it comes to drawing the Ultimates. Bryan Hitch, Leinil Yu, Chris Bachalo, and Esad Ribic, among others, have all brought really unique takes to the team through the years. I'm just not sure I can see me adding Luke Ross to that list ten years from now. But don't get me wrong, he's still a good artist.

There isn't much advancement from the story, which is unfortunate. However, there's some nice setup for the conclusion of the story. The aforementioned Sue moments have a ton of potential. But, most of all, is the moment of Modi bursting out that we've all been waiting for since issue #2. Modi is the one good plot that Loeb left behind, and it's awesome that it's finally being continued. Tony's tumor coming back is unexpected, and the hallucinations add something really cool to the character. Thor is no longer the crazy guy on the team. I also liked the slower pages of DC citizens seeing their final moments. It was reminiscent of, though not quite as impactful as, Ultimate Nightmare #1, which still haunts me to this day. However, as nice as many of these scenes were, I really would have liked to see somber more action from the Children and People.

So while this was a good issue, it was probably my least favorite of the series thus far. But that's like having a least favorite Zeppelin song; it's still going to be better than most others. The issue also sets up for what I know will be an amazing conclusion to one of the best stories going on right now. We have no way of knowing right now what came from Humphries and what from Hickman, but this is still definitely Hickman's story. I look forward to seeing what Humphries will do on his own.

Ratings:

Writing: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Art: 8/10
    Overall: 8/10

Final Verdict:

Ultimates continues to be a heck of a book, but this issue is not for those who aren't already in this story. If you want to jump into the story, grab a few back issues and this one will work a lot better for you.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Modi!! Oh goodness, that last panel was almost worth the price of admission alone !

Honestly, I feel like today's issue took a small step backwards. I feel like the random DC citizens we had to sit through getting blown up displaced the political fallout I actually cared about and wanted to see, I'm not feeling the Flumm subplot thus far, Tony's tumor coming back is a little random/soap operatic, I wasn't particularly fond of the art...

I recognize that the civilian impact will likely warrant its place in trade once the whole story is available, but for now, I was dissatisfied with having to sit through some random tourists and joggers getting blown up rather than getting to see how the flip America is going to recover from having its entire government wiped out. Hickman's also gonna have to sell me on Flumm's one track mind; I get what he's going for, but his focus on Fury rather than the City feels exceedingly ridiculous in the wake of everything going on.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

With each issue being mere 20 pages, the pages dedicated to random citizens getting murdered was bland and just a waste of space, it's just something you see so often you don't really feel any impact, the big impact was last issue and this issue's final panel! Luke Ross' Thor was magnificently drawn and the issue was good despite some weird character movements and reaction faces from Ross, but yeah 2 more issues to go, oh my!
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

why was sue still wearing her 4 costume?

is modi a grown up now? his arm looked big holding the hammer..... not like a child.....

can modi restore thors powers??? maybe mjolnir???

i dont like the flumm plot.... feels forced.... like anyone working for shield would take this guy seriously if the only thing hes talking about is finding fury and destroying the ultimates 5 minutes after reed richards just blew up washington dc....

I'm glad Modi seems to be all grown up. Now we can kill him and not feel bad. Let the stink of Loeb's abomination be gone entirely.

Cover to issue 11

ultimate tony making a buncha 616 armor.... i miss the old ultimate armor

On Vacation

More then likely Thor is going to die. But I am glad to see Modi will be back. Story wise the plot was a good introduction not like the first issue of Ultimates where it went super fast. The art was really good. too bad he is only going to be on it for like 3 issues. I think Flumm has an ulterior motive maybe revenge for something. All in all this was a great issue. Now let's just get rid of Sue and the issue would be perfect. Also 12th level intellect? Where did that come from lol I think Sam Humphires has been watching a lot of justice league.

Yes, the connection between 'I need a Doctor' and taking him to Sue was tenuous at best especially as Thor's GF is an actual nurse who presumably knows Doctors.

They better not kill Thor. He just got back on track! Get rid of the rape spawn.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    Yes, the connection between 'I need a Doctor' and taking him to Sue was tenuous at best especially as Thor's GF is an actual nurse who presumably knows Doctors.
    He needs a doctor who he can "trust". Keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Who isn't an actual medical doctor and who can't really do anything? Useful.

spoilers:
    level twelve intellect
    end of spoilers

I LOL'd.

Also, I'd not considered the fact that Reed's involvement in Europe wasn't public knowledge. That was a nice twist for me.

On Vacation

Oh here it is this is where I remember it from.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    I think Thor's girlfriend is trustworthy.

I did a double take at the 12th level intellect line too but then I remembered, my Brainy only lists as a 12 because he broke the scale!

Luthor is not a 12th level intellect. He's a survivor.