Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

So basically this is the AvX What if? Comic.
    What if in AvX people actually went to each other for help instead of making stupid decisions and getting into fights?
    Yuti=Cable.
    Fong=Hope.
    Lei Kung= Cyclops.
    Chan= Wolverine.
    Leo= Iron Man.

Poor new Avengers, they cannot even hold their own book :/.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonyleopard View Post
    I really wish I hadn't bought this issue....
    I really wish all New Avengers issues were like this one.

The best New Avengers story in forever and it's centered around a Phoenix host. Lol, the indignity. God bless, such an upgrade over infernal BABY MAMA drama and interlocking speech bubbles x infinity around the mansion dinner table.

BANNED

it was really good. excellent storytelling. i'll be dropping it once jessica jones shows up again.

BANNED

It is pretty telling that the few issues this book is readable is when no Avengers appear in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    Source file for Land's Psylocke?

Anyway...

Spot-on review, Meehl!

I understand "blood and urine" is some kind of Bendism. Avengers readers dig that kind of random dumb shit.

Story doesn't move forward at all. Jean Grey #18 becomes Iron Fist after Deodato homages the Cyke-Hope fight from AvX 1, showing that Fungi and Hope are similar, which is obvious.

Story sucks, art is fantastic. Gillen needs to demand Deodato for Uncanny.
    I just finished rereading the Ultimate Enemy Trilogy...I'm pretty sure Sue Storm asks for peeps' "blood and urine" no less than twelve times.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    theres alot Id rather have happen in this arc, which hasnt so far but I dont thnik Marvel cares much about what we want. Things will get contrived to sell the current plot
    I'm used to it lol

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    huh? it's pretty clear in the story. the phoenix was already starting to manifest in fongji before she became the iron fist. she would have become a phoenix anyway, but it seems becoming the iron fist is secondary to it.
    True, my mistake. I forgot that part where Fongji blasted the Thunderer.
    Last edited by Prince Of Orphans; 05-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    I just finished rereading the Ultimate Enemy Trilogy...I'm pretty sure Sue Storm asks for peeps' "blood and urine" no less than twelve times.
    That's when she was on Oxycontin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonyleopard View Post
    I really wish I hadn't bought this issue....
    Me too! I write a review column that asks "where should you spend your 10 bucks." Did not include it.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    So basically this is the AvX What if? Comic.
    What if in AvX people actually went to each other for help instead of making stupid decisions and getting into fights?
    Yuti=Cable.
    Fong=Hope.
    Lei Kung= Cyclops.
    Chan= Wolverine.
    Leo= Iron Man.
    Pretty much...there were panels of Fongi that looked exactly like panels from Avengers vs. X-Men #1 featuring Hope, didn't anyone else notice that? *ponders*

Other than that, this was another great issue. I've been really impressed by what Bendis has done with this story, solid stuff.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Chase_Stein View Post
    I usually like Meehl as a DN@N foil, but I agree that his comedic tics leave a lot to be desired.
    I guess in the future I can skip the review when I don't have anything to say. Then again, you could just skip my threads.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

What's your idea on the fungai hope connection and da vinci meehi

Seems like they are trying to introduce a new character whose sole specialty is controlling the Phoenix. Why do this? I think this character is going to be used by the writers of AvX in some way to resolve the Phoenix/fiery death in the final AvX issues. Maybe this creates a disposable character and saves the writers from having to kill off Hope as the dramatic ending? It's going to seem very dues ex machina however Foing is ultimately used, but maybe its a less cheap tactic to introduce her a few weeks before the end? In any case, the last two issues of this book have served no real purpose from a literary standpoint. They describe early history of a brand new character. There's no character development. There's no plot development. Bendis is clearly using these books to stall for time until Fonji comes to 616 to control the Phoenix. If Fondu is revealed to have been killed by the Phoenix during the 1400s visit, then Cobra Commander is going to learn something critical about controlling the Phoenix force during her death. Then, he's going to train Hope to be an improved Funguy.

I think that if they're going to use a character to control the Phoenix and resolve AvX, then they should have just used Rachel. Rachel had controlled the Phoenix Force on 616 Earth for a fairly long time. Obviously, Rachel's convoluted backstory is unattractive and difficult to work with. However, the writers just introduced a completely new character that no one cares about (Rachel has at least a few fans) and had to invent a convoluted back story anyway. They gained nothing by inventing a character and it came with the same costs. These two issues could easily have gone to focusing on Rachel and reintroducing her to the new Marvel readers. It could have been done in one issue, and saved Marvel some money. Maybe, they don't want it to be Rachel who is sacrificed in the end, either.

Why Da Vinci? The message I got from this book is that Bendis is trying to cop some of Da Vinci's brand to add more credibility to the plan to train Fongi. It's kind of a bizarre plan, but perhaps the plan would seem more plausible if its delivered by Da Vinci. The Da Vinci device stood out to me as a pointless gimmick. Also, Bendis probably thinks he's a fascinating historical figure. He probably includes him under two false assumptions: 1. the reader also finds him to be a fascinated historical figure and 2. the reader enjoys reading about Marvel Da Vinci. He certainly doesn't add anything to the books. I'd much rather have had someone more Marvel-y, like the 1400s version of Dr. Strange. It's also confusing because this IronFistLand is suppose to be some kind of pinnacle of spiritual/mysticism knowledge. Why did they need an outsider? Did they not learn geometry yet? The Avengers should have had to have gone to IronFistLand to find a spiritual leader to help them plan for the Phoenix, not the other way around.

I'm not sure about the Fonguy-Hope-Jean connection. Is it the case that every so often a child is born who is a special Phoenix avatar? Probably. Why did the story have to embedded within Iron Fist stuff? I have no idea. It seems like every year Marvel picks another tired and obsolete character to try to reinvigorate. Hulk had a run. Daredevil had a run. Maybe this signals an Iron Fist run.
    Last edited by Meehl; 05-10-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meehl View Post

I think that if they're going to use a character to control the Phoenix and resolve AvX, then they should have just used Rachel. Rachel had controlled the Phoenix Force on 616 Earth for a fairly long time. Obviously, Rachel's convoluted backstory is unattractive and difficult to work with. However, the writers just introduced a completely new character that no one cares about (Rachel has at least a few fans) and had to invent a convoluted back story anyway. They gained nothing by inventing a character and it came with the same costs. These two issues could easily have gone to focusing on Rachel and reintroducing her to the new Marvel readers. It could have been done in one issue, and saved Marvel some money. Maybe, they don't want it to be Rachel who is sacrificed in the end, either.

I'm not sure about the Fonguy-Hope-Jean connection. Is it the case that every so often a child is born who is a special Phoenix avatar? Probably. Why did the story have to embedded within Iron Fist stuff? I have no idea. It seems like every year Marvel picks another tired and obsolete character to try to reinvigorate. Hulk had a run. Daredevil had a run. Maybe this signals an Iron Fist run.
    I totally agree. People complain about Phoenix mythos being too complicated and things like adding a completely new Fungi chick to the mythos out of nowhere don't really help. I mean this chick either will provide the "key" information for control when Hope needs it like you said, or she is somehow related to Hope/Jean somehow.

I am just hoping they dont try to bring her to the present unless she immediately dies for the story or something we sure as hell do not need ANOTHER redheaded phoenix clone running around.