Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - May 8, 2012

To sum it all up: Augie thinks "The Avengers" is the best superhero
    film ever, was disappointed by "Captain America'" and enjoyed "Thor"
    more than he expected.

Full article here.

Guy writes for a comic book website but doesn't see comic book movies? That makes a whole lot of sense.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

I liked the movie well enough (seen it twice already), but best superhero movie ever? Avengers has better character bits, Avengers has better action, but Captain America has a much better narrative spine. And Dark Knight puts ALL of the Marvel movies to shame.

I agree best comic book movie of all time, it dethroned Dark Knight. Which was tough to do, but the performances, the action and the humor made it much more enjoyable than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight as a film is great but once the Joker is off screen it's not as brilliant. Avengers doesn't have that problem at all.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

I actually thought the story was the main weakness of the movie: a paint-by-numbers plot saved by great dialogue and characterization. Not really a single surprising moment (save perhaps one) in the whole narrative. Even within this movie universe (i.e. ignoring Spider-Man, X-Men, etc. films), I'd rank this one behind Iron Man and maybe even Thor and Cap. Which is not to say it's a bad movie. Enjoyed it immensely. But here's hoping next time out Whedon comes up with a story that's a little more interesting.

"We have a tendency to over-exaggerate our enjoyment of the latest thing. It's natural. Without the separation of time, we can't properly isolate a thing from its environment and test its true worth. We also, as comic fans, have a tendency to judge things in absolutes. Check out any message board and see how often the words "best" and "worst" get tossed around.

But I'm not hesitating to call it now: "Marvel's The Avengers" is my favorite superhero movie of all time."

I'm glad you stated this part, Augie. We do have a tendency to over exaggerate the latest things and talk in absolutes. But the key this is you said The Avengers was "your favorite". That's not a judgement, you're stating a fact. I enjoyed the movie immensely. I have no complaints. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Is the 3d in this film good? So far I've avoided post-processed 3d, but I'm feeling drawn to this one.

As for the best ever - I haven't seen Avengers yet, but out of all the others I'd go for Spider-Man 1 or 2. (probably The Dark Knight third and Kick-Ass fourth)

I enjoyed Avengers but I wouldn't say it's the best ever. I think with Captain America you're over thinking it. (However I'll say with Cap I was one of those people that didn't like how the Nazis were downplayed. Hitler would not have let Skull do his own thing. Dictatorships don't work like that, you either fall in line or you die.) I think as far as quality films go Thor and Cap were better. With the Avengers there were a few parts where I didn't get how the Avengers knew what was up. Especially one scene where Thor tells the group that Loki is doing xyz, I didn't get how he knew that.

Again I thought Avengers was great but I would not say best ever.

Consider me old school: Best superhero movie ever: Superman: The Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by smhoulihan View Post
    Consider me old school: Best superhero movie ever: Superman: The Movie.
    I loved it at the time, but I saw most of it again a few months ago and I could't get over how long and tedious the Krypton part of the film was. It gets a lot better once he gets to Earth - but then the comedy real estate version of Lex Luthor held it back.