View Poll Results: If you had to pick, which one character would you say the Ultimate Universe is about?

Voters
44. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Nick Fury

20 45.45%
  • Peter Parker

13 29.55%
  • Reed Richards

0 0%
  • Cap/Steve Rogers

10 22.73%
  • Jean Grey

0 0%
  • Thor

0 0%
  • Kitty Pryde

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Main Character of the Entire Ultimate Universe

This is something I was wondering a couple days back when looking through some older Ultimate graphic novels. Some wide-scoping stories have huge casts/ensembles, but when you really look at it, boiled down, there's one person who it's "more about" than anyone else. Despite the fact that there're all these other stories going on, it could be viewed as essentially this one person's tale. Kinda like Aragorn in the Peter Jackson "Lord of the Rings" movies, or Darth Vader.

With that said, is there one character that you could argue the entire Ultimate Universe is telling the story of?

I'd say Nick Fury fits the category. This makes more sense in later years, not so much the early beginnings of Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Nick Fury, but now it seems like he's in every issue, or at least has effects on the issues he's not in/is affected by them. Nick Fury's story is that he's an epic secret agent, dealing with a world of superheroes, hardly aging. He grew close to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, whom he viewed as a son...had/has once more his own team of heroes called the Ultimates...distantly oversees some sciencish heroes called the Fantastic Four...and, by kinda helping Ultimate X get off the ground, showed his support for the mutants of the world. It all ties back to him and his decisions.

What say you? Is Zappy Time just feeling way too pensive? Am I making any sense at all? Is the Ultimate Universe actually overall-about a different person?
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

I'd say Nick Fury, hands down. He's tied to pretty much everything, in one way or another. I'm not sure any other character has appeared outside their main book as many times as Fury.

Peter Parker would be second.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Elder Member

Captain America. Everything that is and will be is all due to him.

On Vacation

If Wolverine was still alive maybe him. But I am going with Nick Fury.

Gotta be Nick Fury. Like Plawsky said, he ties everyone together.

Don't think there's much of an argument for Cap. Whilst a lot of what's happened in the UU is down to the super solider serum and attempts to re-make it, Cap didn't actually have anything to do with these decisions. He was just the lab rat, so to speak. Suppose you could argue that if Steve Rogers hadn't been around, maybe no-body else would have reacted to it and we'd have never had a super solider, but I think a character is more defined by what they do, not just their biological make up or whatever.
    Currently Reading: Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man vol 2, Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, Ultimate Comics: X-Men

if fury viewed peter parker "as a son" he wouldnt have let him die like that

BANNED

Nick Fury. He's they guy in charge, he leads the team of Earth's Hardest Heroes and is featured in more Ultimate books than any other character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Definite21 View Post
    if fury viewed peter parker "as a son" he wouldnt have let him die like that
    Hah! You cruel sonofabitch. Say that to the amount of loving fathers who have had to bury their child.

BANNED

Double post.

Hopefully this is a changing point where the females can start being more important. The one character that represents the ultimate world is Nick Fury and to an extent Captain America. Those are the two characters that first come to mind when I think of the Ultimate Universe.

Fury is definitely the most pervasive no doubt, but it's not really ABOUT him. I would definitely say it's about Cap. Everything comes from him, Oz (ergo Spidey), mutants etc.

The next war will be a genetic one is the arc phrase for the whole series so I really think when it boils down to it, it's about him. Fury may be behind most things, but his story is not central to the story of the Ultimate Universe. Take Fury away and you'd still be left with most of the universe, take Cap away and you've got basically the Fantastic Four and that's it.

While much of the UU and its circumstances exist because of Cap, I still wouldn't say he's the main character. It's all been about chasing the idea of Captain America, a super soldier, not about Cap himself. Nick Fury has been the guiding hand of many of these developments - putting together the Ultimates; trying to recreate the Serum, resulting in just about every character in USM; working with the X-Men - Fury runs the whole thing.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Captain America. Everything that is and will be is all due to him.
    I don't agree with this at all. That and the writers usually go out of their way to make sure 1610 Cap is as much of a dick as possible...
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. That and the writers usually go out of their way to make sure 1610 Cap is as much of a dick as possible...
    !!? Did you even read Ultimate Origins?

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    !!? Did you even read Ultimate Origins?
    Wasn't that retconned? After the whole feasco with Peter's parents being alive until he was five? And, I was referring to more as of late, where he let Peter take a bullet for him and then didn't even think twice about him after that.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."