Default How come Doctor Doom..

One thing that I keep wondering about is how come Dr. Doom can get away for trying to kill the FF and destroy things various time. For instance in the 2000's he is sent to hell for trying to kill the FF but when he returns everything just seems normal like he hasn't done anything, apparently he is still king of Latveria. Can anyone explain to me why, or is it just because I have misunderstood some things? Any answer works

Diplomatic immunity.

I think that Waid story where Doom was way out of character should be stricken from the MU continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by sparticus View Post
    Diplomatic immunity.
    Others might have a better handle on this, but I agree with the above. The Latverian people love Doom, as he takes care of them. He's a beloved dictator, I suppose. Even though he's the head of another country, if he "attacks" other countries' soil as he often does, I don't see a reason why the Avengers or someone couldn't capture him and put him on trial. I think this doesn't happen just because Doom is too smart, has too many contingency plans, and the Doom you see is typically a Doombot, so even if you do capture him, it's not really him, and he's off scott-free again.
    "No job is worth your integrity" - Herm Edwards

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Area_hulk View Post
    One thing that I keep wondering about is how come Dr. Doom can get away for trying to kill the FF and destroy things various time. For instance in the 2000's he is sent to hell for trying to kill the FF but when he returns everything just seems normal like he hasn't done anything, apparently he is still king of Latveria. Can anyone explain to me why, or is it just because I have misunderstood some things? Any answer works
    Think about it...does any super-villain pay for their crimes? The Joker and another DC criminals check in and out of Arkham Asylum like it's a hotel. Norman Osborn was a duly appointed top cop by the US Government. Thanos killed half of the universe to please Death and he's still around.

Oh, and you might want to check out the Doctor Doom Appreciation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I think that Waid story where Doom was way out of character should be stricken from the MU continuity.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Others might have a better handle on this, but I agree with the above. The Latverian people love Doom, as he takes care of them. He's a beloved dictator, I suppose. Even though he's the head of another country, if he "attacks" other countries' soil as he often does, I don't see a reason why the Avengers or someone couldn't capture him and put him on trial. I think this doesn't happen just because Doom is too smart, has too many contingency plans, and the Doom you see is typically a Doombot, so even if you do capture him, it's not really him, and he's off scott-free again.

Stark did arrest him after the Venom bomb went off in Mighty Avengers and he was in prison for a while at the Raft. Later, he killed a 500 year old Sue from the future after the New Defenders/Fantastic Force or whatever they were called broke him out and then he ended up in the international prison at the Hague. Neither time did he stand trial though and Osborn probably pulled strings to get him out so he could be in the Cabal.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

plot induced stupidity
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    why? it's the realest doom i've ever seen. everyone else was a doombot.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time