Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Ed Brubaker Takes "Fatale" Beyond Cult Status

With their latest creator-owned series "Fatale," Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips have a breakout hit for Image, and the writer tells CBR how influences from "V For Vendetta" to "Game of Thrones" helped build his noir-ish Lovecraftian tale.

Full article here.

This was my first foray into independent comics and I wasn't disappointed; Brubaker and Phillips deserve all the success they're receiving with this one.

You should read more independents. I like this series, I think personally it will look better as a whole(In trade) than on a month to month basis but anyway good stuff all the same.
    Sane Bat-Time, Sane Bat-Channel...

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips can do produce a phonebook and it was tell a story.

One of the best solid teams.
    Who's there?

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dork_Nut View Post
    You should read more independents.
    5 words a true comic reader should live and die by
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Fatale #5 is simply one of the best comic book issues I've read this year. Solid pacing, multi-layered, and brimming with stunning revelations. It also gave birth to new mysteries that leave one deliciously intrigued. If you haven't read a single issue of this series yet, do yourself a favor and buy the TPB (which I believe is to be released this month or the next).

I stopped reading Fatale after #1 even though I liked it. However, I still bought the issues as the came out and much like Severed, I read all 5 issues yesterday and each issue was made better by reading it as a whole. The last 2 issues 4 and 5 were near perfect.
    "...The measure of a man is not in what he says, but what he does."

Does anyone know if the digital copy contains the essays that are in the physical copy of the book? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ecantrell View Post
    Does anyone know if the digital copy contains the essays that are in the physical copy of the book? Thanks.
    I buy digital and the essays are NOT included.

A shame, but I think they charge $0.50 less for them. I'd rather they have the essays, but I understand why they do it.
    Chew, Daredevil, Fatale, Mind The Gap, The Sixth Gun and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by rolacka View Post
    I buy digital and the essays are NOT included.

A shame, but I think they charge $0.50 less for them. I'd rather they have the essays, but I understand why they do it.
    Yeah, Brubaker did this intentionally as an incentive/bonus for people that buy the print copies.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

What do the essays consist of?
    My LCS was sold out when i went to buy #1 so ive been going digital.

I dropped this book with issue #3. I'm not sure what the problem was but it just did not click with me (its generally not a good situation when you can't remember the character's names from issue to issue). Its okay though, I filled the gap in my life with books like Prophet, Manhattan Projects, and Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    What do the essays consist of?
    My LCS was sold out when i went to buy #1 so ive been going digital.
    I have the floppies from the first four Criminal stories and first Incognito series. Back then there was an essay by somebody (eventually Jess Nevins pretty much all of the time) on a particular thing. For Incognito each one had an essay on a classic Pulp hero - I think The Spider and The Shadow featured. Well worth reading.

I don't like having floppies at all, but if you get both them and digital and are deciding which to get, you should 100% go with floppies for the essays. There is (well was) also usually a two page spread by Phillips to illustrate the essay, and usually a shortish 'blog entry' type thing by Brubaker. The sort of things they tend to say in letters pages (though no letters that I remember).

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Yeah, Brubaker did this intentionally as an incentive/bonus for people that buy the print copies.
    Yeah I understand it - they always did the same thing with the trades. I still wish that they included it in the digital versions though, even if you had to buy them at full price (ie in the first month they are out) to get them. I realise that would be too awkward to implement, but I can dream...

I read the first TPB, and it was horrible. The characters were shallow, the caption boxes had awful lines that no serious writer would ever write seriously. The noir elements all felt familiar, borrowed from old movies, and the horror bits the same. There was nothing innovative, inventive, original, captivating about the story. I know I won't return for more, but I'm really curious about what makes it such a popular series. What are people seeing in it?