Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Malevolent1 View Post
    In terms of his character, Odin can be a real douchebag when it comes to Thor's feelings regarding Midgard. Very short on empathy for Thor's love of the big blue marble.

Personally, I can't wait to see the old man kick off, so Thor can re-acquire the Odin Force.

Just my blue collar opinion.
    Odin comes off as a douchebag because to him Earth is not the center of the universe. Odin's focus is on Asgard and Thor is its chief defender. There have been times where Thor is needed in Asgard and he has been unavailable due to business on Earth. Thor is the crown prince of Asgard and that means a certain degree of responsibility. That responsibility comes with putting Asgard before Earth. Its why Odin was so against Jane Foster. He knew it was a bad idea because Jane was not fit for a life in Asgard and she risked drawing Thor away from Asgard. To Odin, the two come from two radically different worlds that would not work well together in the long term. I think he is right.

Thor reacquring the Odinforce would be a mistake especially under Fraction. The Odinforce makes Thor too powerful to use in regular stories. Under Fraction, Thor is such a short-sighted, hardheaded idiot that giving him practically unlimited power would be a disaster. Examples? Reviving Loki without thinking it through. Breaking a seal Odin placed up just cause Odin isn't around without alerting the All-Mothers. Now something evil and powerful is free, its Thor's fault, and he did not bother to tell anyone.

With Odin around Thor can go off, have adventures, and do just about whatever he wants because he knows daddy will be around to take care of things and clean up any mess he makes. Fraction's Thor hates Odin for telling him what to do, but needs him because Thor does not spend five seconds thinking his actions through and needs someone to bail him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Custo View Post
    In the comics, Thor could just teleport himself. The movie version seems to be missing this ability. So far.
    For the movie, it was necessary to create suspense. Thor relying on Bifrost would not work if he could teleport using his hammer. Of course, even in the comics Thor has been shown somewhat reliant on Bifrost to travel to Asgard. Without it travel between the two worlds is a lot more difficult.

So I'd say Thor is potentially the most powerful God, but he just hasn't gotten there yet, and most likely never will in 616 continuity because that would change too many things. We saw what he turned into in The Reigning, and he undid all of that. Marvel is too scared of any big permanent changes.
    I largely agree. I think one thing that is also limiting Thor is he has never bothered to develop those powers. His storm powers came naturally and he relies heavily on Mjolnir. To develop those other powers requires training and study to use them which Thor has never bothered to do.

I think it comes down to this: Odin is not a main Marvel Universe character so his power can go up and down as the story see's fit.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Can you give an example please? Because I honestly can't think of any where he acts "villainous". He did look down on humans often, but who in his position wouldn't?
    Erm, Thor? Balder? Both been in Odin's position at times.

As for specfic examples, he tried to exterminate the human race last year, that's a biggie. On a more personal level he demeans his family, physically attacks his children and cheats on his wife. Now getting into Stan's Odin. Odin is a man who has had his way too much, his vanity is off the scale, he doesn't like being challenged, his word is law and the law in infallible. He's a dictator. Stan sets up Thor as the hero of mankind, the reformed man who sees the value of life and the people. Thor learns his lesson too well for Odin. Odin sends Thor out thinking he will come back with his tail between his legs begging to be a god again because being a lowly mortal is such an ordeal. Thor does not. Thor embraces it. He becomes the champion of Earth and makes the man who banished him for arrogance be seen for the arrogant man he is himself. Stan sets up Odin as wrong. The irony drips from the page, Thor's deference to Odin's wisdom is frustrating and laughable. We are not meant to be on Odin's side, we are on Thor's side because Thor is right and Odin is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by seekquaze View Post
    Odin comes off as a douchebag because to him Earth is not the center of the universe. Odin's focus is on Asgard and Thor is its chief defender. There have been times where Thor is needed in Asgard and he has been unavailable due to business on Earth. Thor is the crown prince of Asgard and that means a certain degree of responsibility. That responsibility comes with putting Asgard before Earth. Its why Odin was so against Jane Foster. He knew it was a bad idea because Jane was not fit for a life in Asgard and she risked drawing Thor away from Asgard. To Odin, the two come from two radically different worlds that would not work well together in the long term. I think he is right.
    Come on squeekaze you know better than to fall into that trap. We are never shown that. We are shown Jane defeated by a monster Odin knew she couldn't defeat and who he put her up against for that reason. I direct you to an earlier issue where Thor petitions Odin to make Jane immortal and Odin says that if she can prove herself brave and selfless he will do it. So Jane is kidnapped by Hyde and Donald is left hooked up to a bomb. Jane is told that if she tries to escape Donald will be killed. Jane doesn't know Donald is Thor because Odin decreed it was against the law to tell a mortal. So when Thor shows up and starts beating on Hyde Jane thinks 'Oh no, if Thor beats Hyde Donald will die' so she hides Thor's hammer to stop him. To save Donald she risked herself, she was brave and selfless. Odin is watching this, but for the all-father he seems to only see what he wants to see. He joins the action in the middle and doesn't see the context of Jane trying to save Donald's life. He sees her hindering Thor and denies Thor's request. Jane passed the test. We the reader know that and are left feeling all the more intensely for Thor to win out over his overbearing father.

Odin doesn't like Jane for the same reason he kept Thor from Gaia. He is terrified of losing Thor, Gaia and Jane represent a side of Thor that is distant to him. If Thor is with Sif, with as Asgardian, Thor will stay at home and he'll never grow up. And in the end, Odin is a bastion of conservatism. He doesnt want things to change, he doesn't accept difference. Odin is WRONG.
    Last edited by superchick; 05-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.