Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Post-Game: Bunn on Fearless *Interview*

Robot 6 interviews Cullen Bunn on Fearless.

We get to learn about about the planning, plotting and execution of Fearless.

I haven't read the book yet, but I am looking forward to the collection.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

jk: You ended the book with a well-developed valkyrie and the tease of a potential, for lack of a better term, lady liberators series. You’ve kind of teased the idea that it would be up to the fans to create enough noise for this series to get marvel to greenlight it. Did you include that possibility at the end of fearless on your own, or is it something that you talked over with marvel and they are genuinely considering it?

Cullen: The idea to replace the valkyrior with heroes from midgard hit me while i was scripting the fifth or sixth issue. I ran it by the team, and they were all for it. I thought it wrapped up the story of the serpent’s hammers neatly, and i liked the potential of valkyrie choosing a new group of shield maidens. I was surprised how many readers really liked the idea. Will it happen? I’m not sure, but i’d love to see that come about.

Jk: Both marvel and dc are frequently taken to task for their treatment of female heroes or their lack of books with female protagonists. I’d love to hear your own thoughts on the need for women superheroes and what your approach to a book like that would be if you got the chance to write it. Not in terms of specific plots, but in its overall theme and how overtly feminist you think it should be.

Cullen: While i definitely feel there’s a need for books featuring strong, capable female characters, my only goal is to tell exciting, interesting stories with compelling characters, whether they’re male or female. If the characters are there and if the stories are exciting, it shouldn’t matter if it’s an all-female team. Does it introduce different dynamics to the story? Absolutely. And i think it might be interesting if the marvel universe as a whole becomes obsessed with the “novelty” of a group of women superheroes. How would the team handle the attention? Some (like valkyrie herself) would likely reject it. Others, though, might welcome it.
    god i want this!!!

BANNED

I'm surprised nobody is making more noise....

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I'm surprised nobody is making more noise....
    because what fans want is characters acting out of characters, two of the franchise teams facing each other for a reason that could be simple if reasonably thought out, talk about what characters we want in a next Marvel movie and how Marvel is doomed

a talented creator that actually cares about what he is doing and is planning on what is ahead for him...pshah
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

I'll freely admit I never read any of this series though I am intrigued. Partly because I happen to like Valkyrie in what little I've seen of her and because I love Cullen Bunn's The Sixth Gun. I am thinking of picking up the hardcover when it comes out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    because what fans want is characters acting out of characters, two of the franchise teams facing each other for a reason that could be simple if reasonably thought out, talk about what characters we want in a next Marvel movie and how Marvel is doomed

a talented creator that actually cares about what he is doing and is planning on what is ahead for him...pshah
    Heh.

Still, I really hope the attention gets picked up again for that Lady Liberators team. I mean, Fearless did well enough. A lot better than Battle Scars which had some media coverage.
    I really hope they follow through with the 8 women squad team!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Waiting for the trade, personally. But if it counts for anything, this and Battle Scars are probably the two current Marvel trades I'm most looking forward to.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Waiting for the trade, personally. But if it counts for anything, this and Battle Scars are probably the two current Marvel trades I'm most looking forward to.
    I hear some negative things about Battle Scars.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

I'm not worried about that. The negative stuff I have heard mostly comes off as fan-grumbling.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

This series was a blast.

I will admit that the turn of Hellstrom to a badguy bugs me a bit. The thing I've always loved about him is the sheer preposterous notion of Satan's son as a goodguy. With him working for the side you'd expect, I find him a lot less interesting.

That nitpick aside, this series was a pretty rousing success as far as I am concerned. I loved the evil Dire Wraith action, including his summoning of one of the old Deathwings (or whatever those things were called) from the Rom comics I loved during the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    This series was a blast.

I will admit that the turn of Hellstrom to a badguy bugs me a bit. The thing I've always loved about him is the sheer preposterous notion of Satan's son as a goodguy. With him working for the side you'd expect, I find him a lot less interesting.

That nitpick aside, this series was a pretty rousing success as far as I am concerned. I loved the evil Dire Wraith action, including his summoning of one of the old Deathwings (or whatever those things were called) from the Rom comics I loved during the 80s.
    Turning Hellstrom into a flat out villain is sort of a turn off to me too.

I can buy him not being an anti-hero or whatever... but I don't think him being a flat out villain really fits. Ah well. Last time they did this to him, it was pretty much ignored (Engleharts thing where he was supposedly Dormamu's son), so maybe this will be ignored too.

Always nice to read Cullen Bunn's interviews. I think it's a real shame that Marvel isn't pushing anything for Valkyrie or the new Shield Maidens / Lady Liberators. Just like with Black Widow from the Avengers movie, Marvel is failing to capitalize on a great showing for a female character.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I'm not worried about that. The negative stuff I have heard mostly comes off as fan-grumbling.
    I'm interested in seeing your opinion after you read it. FEARLESS was a fun romp through the Marvel Universe, with two great POV female characters, and a nice dollop of characterization for both ladies. BATTLESCARS was mediocre contrivance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    This series was a blast.

With characters like Hellstrom, it's hard to tell if it is a heel turn or just another convoluted plan.

I'd love to see Bunn's take on Jenn. A She-Hulk Book under him would be phenomenal, I bet.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

With characters like Hellstrom, it's hard to tell if it is a heel turn or just another convoluted plan.
    Well, the writer is flat out saying that Hellstrom is a bad guy. So it may well be a part of some cnvoluted plan, but at least as of now it's a heel turn either way.

Though it's probably easy enough for another writer to go another director if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Well, the writer is flat out saying that Hellstrom is a bad guy. So it may well be a part of some cnvoluted plan, but at least as of now it's a heel turn either way.

Though it's probably easy enough for another writer to go another director if they choose.
    He's the Son of Satan, although I do wonder how this fits in with Journey into Mystery.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.