Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 90s X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    So AoA and x-force? Who wrote X-Force back then?
    X-Force went through a number of writers back then. It can roughly be divided into runs by Fabian Nicieza, followed by Jeph Loeb, and then John Francis Moore, as each of these runs carry a rather different shift in tone.

I also forgot to mention Generation X (the teen book in the nineties and generally considered the best of the lot) and X-Factor (though only the Peter David issues collected in X-Factor Visionaries).

Elder Member

X-Factor was the best. The characters were highly interesting.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

BANNED

Man the early '90s were the x-titles best. The X-Men had gone through the Siege Perilous (sp) and were scattered all across the globe. You had Wolverine, Jubilee and Psylocke on one team looking for them and Banshee, Forge and (briefly) Jean Grey on another team looking for them for the 'islander' X-Men. Over on the New Mutants, Liefeld was working his magic and making this title into it's greatest ever; transforming them into X-Force. In Excalibur, Alan Davis was giving us more insight on the Phoenix Force while introducing great characters like Feron, Cerise, Kylun and Micromax and giving us more info on the Warpies. Not much was going on in X-Factor until after the X-Tinction Agenda crossover when the O5 were absorbed into the X-Men and Valerie Cooper morphed Freedom Force into an all new all different X-Factor (writing was so-so, art was horrid but the premise was awesome!). All by creators that made the x-titles popular: Chris Claremont, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Whilce Portacio and Marc Silvestri. It was a great time to be an x-fan and sadly those times have never been captured again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    lol, do any of those characters look any sort of interesting?
    It was ok. It's similar to PAD's current X-Factor team. I prefered Larsen's pitch a hell lot more than PAD's. Shame we didn't see it.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Lg3WniPAnsXX55

Words from the future. Scarlet Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    Man the early '90s were the x-titles best. The X-Men had gone through the Siege Perilous (sp) and were scattered all across the globe. You had Wolverine, Jubilee and Psylocke on one team looking for them and Banshee, Forge and (briefly) Jean Grey on another team looking for them for the 'islander' X-Men. Over on the New Mutants, Liefeld was working his magic and making this title into it's greatest ever; transforming them into X-Force. In Excalibur, Alan Davis was giving us more insight on the Phoenix Force while introducing great characters like Feron, Cerise, Kylun and Micromax and giving us more info on the Warpies. Not much was going on in X-Factor until after the X-Tinction Agenda crossover when the O5 were absorbed into the X-Men and Valerie Cooper morphed Freedom Force into an all new all different X-Factor (writing was so-so, art was horrid but the premise was awesome!). All by creators that made the x-titles popular: Chris Claremont, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Whilce Portacio and Marc Silvestri. It was a great time to be an x-fan and sadly those times have never been captured again.
    Most of that happened in a single year, 1990, while some of it took place in 1989 and some in 1991. Claremont was released from the X-Men books before 1992 began, and the rest would follow very shortly after.

Hazard, Belladonna, Exodus, Kwannon, Soul Skinner, Matsu'o Tsurayaba, Fitzroy, Fabian Cortez, Shatterstar, Mojo II, and the Legacy Virus are much more representative of the early '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    I recommend you continue with your current reading habits
    I know, right? lool 90's were shit.
    You're superior to pryde in my eyes -tlp

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

BANNED

Eric Larsen's team looked like shit.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    X-Factor was the best. The characters were highly interesting.
    Seconded. Havok's X-factor team, though. The one with Forge and Mystique was tripe.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

Tread carefully. There's plenty of 90's X-books that are pretty bad.
    Personally I think the Wolverine title was the best and most consistent X-book back then.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

Here goes nothing, I'm a 90s guy, born in 90 so most of the xmen stuff I enjoy is when they are in the bright suits and all that jazz, loved the 90s tv show, ive just never read much of the 90 books, I've read tons of 80s, 2000s and the present stuff but never any of the 90s stuff, what are some good recommendations?
    Don't waste your money. I grew up on those stories, and even nostalgia isn't enough to convince me they're any good.

Love and Beauty Shock! Blu Berri's Avatar

The best the 90s X-Men had to offer is X-Men (2nd series) 1-3; Claremont's farewell to the X-Books. Claremont subtly addresses what's wrong with the 90s; character development and evolving storylines skewed for senseless violence, conservatism and poorly-developed, over-arcing, crossover-storylines to boost sales.

Also.. the main Villain is Fabian Cortez who is totally NOT a substitute for the man that took over where Claremont left-off and main scripter for X-Force, Fabian Nicienza.

<.<
    In the name of Venus, I will punish you for being this year's fashion disaster!

Here goes nothing, I'm a 90s guy, born in 90 so most of the xmen stuff I enjoy is when they are in the bright suits and all that jazz, loved the 90s tv show, ive just never read much of the 90 books, I've read tons of 80s, 2000s and the present stuff but never any of the 90s stuff, what are some good recommendations?
    I don't know exactly how far Chester IL is from Chicago, but if you do venture out to the big city, there are a few shops here that have an amazing backstock collection, mostly priced to sell. Chicago Comics on Clark is my favorite. But Grahm Cracker Comics on Broadway has about as good of an x-men 1990's backstock collection as you're likely to see anywhere outside of MileHigh.

The 90s books with Wolverine post-Adamantium were all pretty bad. Larry Hama's book stand out to me as particularly bad, and there's nothing about these books that make it seem like Marvel cared about the product they released. I think they are great examples of the time period: Comics sold so well that Marvel had no incentive to make anything good. He was drawn weirdly. Some of the arcs comic-booky and there was a standard comic-booky villain (Cyber). They altered his healing factor to invent drama. He was sleeping outside in the dirt. He essentially became wildchild: no language, feral attack style, kept on a leash. LLL was introduced and he went on bizarre, nonsensical multidimensional adventures that were so unreasonable and out of character and out of canon that they were really never part of a plot again. Albert and Elsie-Dee was bizarre and made no sense and again never really referenced again. The whole thing should be forgotten
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Silence View Post
    Most of that happened in a single year, 1990, while some of it took place in 1989 and some in 1991. Claremont was released from the X-Men books before 1992 began, and the rest would follow very shortly after.

Hazard, Belladonna, Exodus, Kwannon, Soul Skinner, Matsu'o Tsurayaba, Fitzroy, Fabian Cortez, Shatterstar, Mojo II, and the Legacy Virus are much more representative of the early '90s.
    "Released"??? I thought Mr.Claremont quit because Jim Lee wanted too much control over the content of the 2 primary X-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Meehl View Post
    The 90s books with Wolverine post-Adamantium were all pretty bad. Larry Hama's book stand out to me as particularly bad, and there's nothing about these books that make it seem like Marvel cared about the product they released. I think they are great examples of the time period: Comics sold so well that Marvel had no incentive to make anything good. He was drawn weirdly. Some of the arcs comic-booky and there was a standard comic-booky villain (Cyber). They altered his healing factor to invent drama. He was sleeping outside in the dirt. He essentially became wildchild: no language, feral attack style, kept on a leash. LLL was introduced and he went on bizarre, nonsensical multidimensional adventures that were so unreasonable and out of character and out of canon that they were really never part of a plot again. Albert and Elsie-Dee was bizarre and made no sense and again never really referenced again. The whole thing should be forgotten
    Albert and Elsie Dee were great fun. I loved that period of Wolverine's solo title as it wasn't all blood and gore and took Logan into some interesting places. Obviously, that kind of thing wouldn't really work these days, but I enjoyed the hell out of it and it's one of the few runs from the 90s that I regularly go back and re-read, sometimes just for the art!
    current top5 - The Unwritten, X-factor, The Walking Dead, WATXM, Amazing Spiderman

"You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a F***ing challenge" Introdiction - Scroobius Pip

Whoever said Onslaught was good shouldn't call himself an X-Fan. I am not very critique in terms of quality, but that story was pure shit.