Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "The Avengers" Crosses $700 Million Mark In Under 2 Weeks

Marvel's "The Avengers" continues to break records, crossing the worldwide $700 million mark in under 2 weeks while extending its reach to other industries, causing a spike in Los Angeles shawarma sales.

Full article here.

However, "The Avengers" isn't only selling movie tickets -- it's selling shawarma! According to TMZ, a scene in the film (no spoilers!) has led to a spike in demand for the meat wraps.
    I think it's safe to say that this film has officially exceeded all rational expectations.

This film is on track to break the lifetime gross of Thor, Captain America and the Incredible Hulk combined by the end of the week.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

At this point, I think a billion is a foregone conclusion. I hope it takes the all time spot...

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    At this point, I think a billion is a foregone conclusion. I hope it takes the all time spot...
    I kind of hope it does, too. But those top two spots are . . . formidable.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

BANNED

Anyone here ever actually had shawarma? Is it good?

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    I'm going to get one today and will report back. YMMV, though, I'd imagine ...

OT: Awesome, awesome news! I'm really curious to see how it performs during the 2nd and 3rd weekends. Word of mouth is beyond good and it's really a crowd pleasing treat of a movie.
    Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me are people that think Final Crisis is good.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    I kind of hope it does, too. But those top two spots are . . . formidable.
    Yes...yes they are.

18 Million on a Monday while school is still in session. Wow, that's insane. Watching to gross on this film will be interesting to say the least. Will more than likely end up as a top 5 grossing movie all time worldwide. Well deserved as it was a fantastic movie.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    Yeah, we have a great place just 2 blocks away (I swear!) from where I live. Although they call the ones with beef and lamb a gyro, and the ones with the chicken a shawarma, but that may only be for sake of making the menu clearer, I don't know.

All I know is, they're tasty.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

700 millions dollars. That's crazy! Add that the profits of the marketing and you'll get the real fee. I can't even imagine,

BANNED

"The Avengers" is as of now the best quality blockbuster movie ever made.

That said, with as many people on Facebook and elsewhere talking about how much they loved The Avengers, its mindblowing to think of how many more people saw Avatar: The Blue Cat movie. Seriously. About 3 times more people saw that movie than The Avengers projected finish. Of course, if Avengers can hold amazingly strong for about 7 more weeks, it could reach Avatar numbers. But really, how did THAT many people see that movie? I mean Avatar, I liked it for what it was, but the numbers are staggering.

BANNED

Avatar was more like a theme park ride though, in terms of it being an attraction. It was the first time a film fully utilised 3D tech in the modern era. Something like that will probably never happen again until movies are interactive holograms where it actually puts the audience in the film or something. 3D isn't a brand new thing anymore.

Avengers is a lock for the 3rd all time spot i think. 1.5 billion. Stupid money. I actually predicted a while back that it'd make 800-900 million. And it's almost there after 2 weeks. It really is utterly insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kick-Ass View Post
    "The Avengers" is as of now the best quality blockbuster movie ever made.

That said, with as many people on Facebook and elsewhere talking about how much they loved The Avengers, its mindblowing to think of how many more people saw Avatar: The Blue Cat movie. Seriously. About 3 times more people saw that movie than The Avengers projected finish. Of course, if Avengers can hold amazingly strong for about 7 more weeks, it could reach Avatar numbers. But really, how did THAT many people see that movie? I mean Avatar, I liked it for what it was, but the numbers are staggering.
    It had the James Cameron name, as well as the whole 3D novelty going for it. Also, Cameron learned a valuable lesson from Titanic... release a summer blockbuster during the holiday season, when the competition is pretty feeble and there aren't many other options for entertainment.

I don't expect Avengers to reach Avatar or Titanic numbers, because a summer film just has too much competition. Of course, that won't stop me from hoping. Realistically, it has a chance of slipping into the Number 3 spot.

Another cool stat: a lot of people are expecting it to make over $100 million this coming weekend, which would be the first time a movie has ever done that in its second week of release. Just amazing.

I've been reading a lot of articles about Avengers since Friday, but have yet to see one (spoiler)...

spoilers:
    ... really talk about the suprising death in the movie. CBR, get me some interviews and reactions from the stars about that! It was definitely a "holy shit, did that really just happen?" moment in the movie.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-08-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: [spoil][/spoil] tags

spoilers:
    Well, in fairness, there's a lot of questions about whether dead is dead in that situation. For one, the individual in question is already in talks for another Marvel film and additionally, we never see an actual dead body. Couple that with the fact it's actually outright stated on screen that the individual reporting this death fudged some of the facts surrounding it (In an effort to create an impetus) and we get a very easy backdoor to get around it in subsequent films.

I didn't pick up on it when watching the film, but in retrospect it's blatantly obvious that Whedon wanted that one to remain ambiguous. Considering the nature of what happened, I am convinced that they'll be back.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-08-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: [spoil][/spoil] tags