View Poll Results: Whose designs best meet the challenge? NOTE: You can vote fore multiple entries!

Voters
36. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • End of Time's ANT-MAN & WASP

18 50.00%
  • atoningunifex's GIANT-MAN & WASP

10 27.78%
  • AnkaleRa's YELLOWJACKET & WASP

16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Project CBRunway 7: Challenge 6 Voting Thread

CHALLENGE 6: AVENGERS, ADAPT!

Welcome to Project CBRunway!

PLEASE VOTE for any and all entries you feel best complete the challenge. Please vote based on how well the challenge is met, not on art ability. Participants may vote for themselves. Designers will receive a point for each vote they receive. The three contestants who have accumulated the most votes over the eight weekly challenges will move on to CBR Fashion Week.

NOTE: Only registered CBR members with a posting history may vote. Any votes from posters sharing any IP addresses will not be counted, no exceptions. Any fraudulent voting will result in disqualification and a possible permanent forum ban.

CHALLENGE 6: AVENGERS, ADAPT!
    For your sixth challenge you must adapt two Avengers from the comics to the movie-verse: Janet Van Dyne and Hank Pym. The Wasp is self-explanatory, but each of Hank Pym's costumed identities (Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket) may only be claimed by a single designer. Designers will post a number, between 1 and 4, on a first-come, first served basis, and be randomly assigned one of these identities.That means lose the non-descript spandex and create two character designs that would work on screen while remaining identifiable and true to the character. You'll really need to pay attention to construction, texture, detail, color, etc.. Feel free to "cast" each character, using an established actor and actress as the basis for your character. For this challenge you may either use the size guidelines below (two separate images 550-pixels wide by 800-pixels long) OR you may present both charcters in a simgle image of the same size. All submissions should include a three-sentence description of each costume explaining, to the best of your ability, material, functionality, design inspiration, etc.

Please vote using the poll, then feel free to make comments or ask questions about this challenge or these designs within this thread. Now let's start the show...

Default End of Time's ANT-MAN & WASP

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time
    Ant Man, designed as an expert in miniaturization. Since the movie is pretty realistic in its approach I kept his costume as far removed from anything resembling a superhero. This is a guy who invited something that could easily be militarized. I hoped to capture that element of creating something relatively mundane.

Wasp on the other hand is very much your typical girl next door, if she worked for S.H.I.E.L.D. Leather with yellow-gold accents to create a wasp-like effect.

Default atoningunifex's GIANT-MAN & WASP

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex
    Hank Pym is wearing a dark, dark blue and red costume. The various bits of piping are actually structural reinforcements to help his body cope with the added strain of expansion. I chose Peter Dinklage as my actor inspiration because I think he's an amazing actor and because he could capture the somewhat surreal nature of the idea of Giant Man brilliantly.

Wasp wears a black leather outfit cut provacatively. Her accessories are wholly functional; her glasses help her cope with the change in perspective as she shrinks and her brass knuckles are electrified, providing her "wasp sting". I chose Rooney Mara as inspiration because she plays edgy and vulnerable very well.

Default AnkaleRa's YELLOWJACKET & WASP

Quote Originally Posted by AnkaleRa
    A leather/spandex combination that allows for toughness, breathability, and flexibility, the Yellowjacket costume is also imbued with Pym particles, which enable the costume to shrink with Dr. Pym. The shoulder "wings" (in concert with the flight pack on the costume's back) allow for flight, electrical cording running to the gloves enable Pym to shoot bio-energy projections, and the goggles protect his eyes/enhance his vision during flight. I drew inspiration from his classic Yellowjacket costume, his ultimate costume, and just absolutely fell in love with his shoulder wings (I tried to get rid of them, but they just kept coming back).

A leather/spandex combination that allows for toughness, breathability, and flexibility, the Wasp costume is also imbued with Pym Particles, which enable the costume to shrink with Janet. There are slits in the back for her wings, goggles to protect her eyes/enhance her vision during flight, and a headset that cancels the buzzing created from her wings vibrating. I drew inspiration from her most recent costume, her ultimate costumes, and her original costume's helmet is reflected by her hairdo.

I loved all of the designs but I ended up going with End of Time's simply because his seemed most fit for an actual the movie.
    The others would work fantastically well in other mediums (atoningunifex's would be great in comics and I could see AnkaleRa's in a cartoon) but I don't know how they would translate to motion pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by pryde15 View Post
    I loved all of the designs but I ended up going with End of Time's simply because his seemed most fit for an actual the movie.
    The others would work fantastically well in other mediums (atoningunifex's would be great in comics and I could see AnkaleRa's in a cartoon) but I don't know how they would translate to motion pictures.
    I think mine would work fine as movie costumes. I made sure both outfits were primarily dark with only some color highlights. Wasp's outfit is obviously less practical, but it's striking and at least approaches slutty in a different way from the Black Widow's outfit. I think Giant Man's costume- which is more over the top than Wasp's but less play-doh than Captain America's, fits a character whose shtick is he makes himself big.
    Check out 2009's drawings at my new thread on the Artist & Writer Showcase.

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

Great timing on this challenge! I've spent the last few days dream casting future movies and so this is a pleasant surprise.

I think End Of Time missed the mark on the Wasp! I don't know why she's blonde and would be annoyed for them to adapt Janet as default eye candy when we know the universe they've made for these films (particularly the women) to be more than just that. Sif is a warrior, Jane Foster's an astrophysicist, Pepper's CEO, Peggy Carter in the military, Widow held her own... a generic female casting this late in the game would feel uninspired. I also think the costume is very much in the style of the X-Men trilogy, black leather with colored piping. Interesting take on Ant-Man that feels very Guillermo Del Toro! I do think a militarized approach would be very sterile with a lot less color.

Peter Dinklage as Giant-Man is such a brilliant twist! Hank being your basic stud but feeling inadequate on the inside is a concept that would feel a little trite in a movie today, especially with all the other characters battling their internal struggle (the scientist roles very well covered by RDJ and Ruffalo). A confident Peter Dinklage who grows to giant size and has that same persona would be so refreshing!

As is a Rooney Mara Wasp. Whedon would feed her the sharpest dialogue! I think the costumes here would look appropriately superheroic as well for the films -- these two would be joining the already formed team without coming from a black ops past like Hawkeye and Black Widow, and I could see them going in on a costume like angle. Wasp being such a tiny little punk is fun, love the brass knuckles giving this look a lot more fun and less moody. I'd take out the heel and just give her creepers to stomp around in!

Great use of the challenge suggestion to "cast" the roles and cool direction that avoids being inoffensive or safe.

I also voted for Ankale's because these feel like they are SHIELD issue - with the logo and matching costumes, SHIELD would totally have drawn these up for the husband and wife scientist couple they were bringing in to the job. Hank's looks decidedly tech and I would expect the motor to have a yellowjacket like buzz -- I'm thinking very Brian K. Vaughn Mayor Hundred in Ex Machina here! I'd only want more color in Janet's, personally, because there's so much freedom to design for a female superhero since Widow was so standard.

AnkaleRa's YELLOWJACKET & WASP - yup. closer to the movie it is. love the details.

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex View Post
    I think mine would work fine as movie costumes. I made sure both outfits were primarily dark with only some color highlights. Wasp's outfit is obviously less practical, but it's striking and at least approaches slutty in a different way from the Black Widow's outfit. I think Giant Man's costume- which is more over the top than Wasp's but less play-doh than Captain America's, fits a character whose shtick is he makes himself big.
    Sorry if I offended you! I do think the designs, particularly the Wasp one, are genius but I just don't know if I could see someone wearing them in a film. The Pym one would probably work but I'm not sure about the one for Jan (which I would love to see her wear when she returns, it's a pretty fantastic design).

Quote Originally Posted by pryde15 View Post
    Sorry if I offended you! I do think the designs, particularly the Wasp one, are genius but I just don't know if I could see someone wearing them in a film. The Pym one would probably work but I'm not sure about the one for Jan (which I would love to see her wear when she returns, it's a pretty fantastic design).
    I'm not offended. :) I'm just defending myself on the runway!
    Check out 2009's drawings at my new thread on the Artist & Writer Showcase.

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

Hello. Welcome to the Runway. As you know, in fashion and in comic books, one day you're in and the next you're out.

I really enjoyed everyone's designs this challenge...great job, all!

End of Time, congratulations, you are the winner of this challenge, having earned 18 points. Beautiful renderings!

Auf Wiedersehen!