Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Story adaptation; doesn't have to be Iron Man on the Pro-Reg side in an adapted story. Anyway, I'm just saying the elements are there, but no it wouldn't make a whole movie and would most likely be a middle act in a three act scenario which goes watershed > conflict > facing up to those pulling the strings.

However it's not going to happen. If it happens at all, which is unlikely, I'd see it as part of an arc for Cap 2 rather than across the whole franchise, and wouldn't involve all the Avengers.
    It can maybe work as a story adaptation, and it could be cool. If it's the basic story but something very different it could work. I was just thinking that there is great fear of being super stupid.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Weapons made from a Cosmic Cube seem pretty powerful to me?

And the team you're fighting knows EVERYTHING about you? Hell, two of your teammates could still be active moles for SHIELD and turn on you mid-battle.
    I hate this idea mainly because it's not expanding the Marvel U.

Fight villains, not make SHIELD bad.

BANNED

Civil War as a concept was good. It was terribly executed.

Even if they adapted it for the movie, had the characters act, you know, in character... It wouldn't work. Avengers already has heroes fighting each other, clashing over philosophies and personalities. Doing it again, making a whole film about it would be redundant.

Besides, Whedon knows his comics, he knows what stories are good and worthy re-telling in live action. Civil War isn't one of them. The fact that Thanos was Whedon's idea tells you all you need to know about where this franchise is going.

Plus Whedon has said numerous times he doesn't want to deconstruct the superhero genre, he wants to reconstruct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I hate this idea mainly because it's not expanding the Marvel U.

Fight villains, not make SHIELD bad.
    Exactly. The Avengers have a ton of great villains that would be incredible on the big screen.

Heroes fighting heroes in a corny Lee & Kirby 60s-style scuffle is fun. Heroes fighting heroes in a life-and-death Civil War is pointless. It's been done; let's move on.

They wouldn't do Civil War because it would make certain characters look bad and potentially alienate certain members of the audience from certain characters. Big budget movies are about pleasing the matches. Civil War got way to heavy and took characters down roads that wouldn't be easily forgotten or forgiven in a movie universe.

IMO, the surest way that Marvel could kill its booming, highly profitable movie franchise would be to film the CW story. I truly don't think that the audiences that are packing the theaters now to cheer and applaud as the Avengers and SHIELD fight bad guys want to see these same heroes be revealed as nasty, mean spirited cretins who attack each other over politics. The audience wants to leave these movies actually liking the heroes, not despising them. The movie audience is larger than the comics reading audience and most of them have very little knowledge of the recent, printed comics storylines. If they know these characters at all, they know them in a fuzzy, feel-good way: these are the heroes. They may bicker and snap off witty one-liners at each other, but they're essentially good people who fight against the bad guys. They don't fight and kill each other over nasty real-world political agendas.

Retool the story and make it clearly a case of the heroes vs. some politically driven government/military conspiracy that seeks to control them, tone down (or outright eliminate) the serious hero vs. hero fighting and maybe it would work in some fashion. The current Avengers movie had the meaningless but requisite hero squabbling that Marvel fans expect. To go further than this and have them truly attacking each other and getting as nasty as they did in the comics story would come across very poorly on the big screen. The movie viewing experience is very different from the comics reading experience. It's far more intense for one thing. I suspect that the Civil War story would leave the audiences feeling very sour, particularly for the large group out there who dig the movies but who haven't read a comicbook in years.

Of all of the recent big Marvel Avengers stories, I think they'd been better off adapting Secret Invasion. Can't go wrong with shape changing alien invaders. They could still have all of the usual Marvel hero bickering and squabbling and still end up with all of the heroes united against the bad guys. In fact, with Secret Invasion I think that they could easily set it up so that the story is split over two movies. Just my opinion. I'm not trying to harsh on all the Civil War fans out there, but I truly do think it would be a mistake to film it.

Introducing Millar's "Civil War" into the Marvel Movieverse would be retarded (the bad "retarded," not the good "retarded").

I'd much rather see the Commission on Superhuman Activities (CSA) be established in a future Captain America movie, with a shady Henry Peter Gyrich trying to strongarm Cap into becoming some sort of U.S. black ops soldier in the Middle East, and then recruiting a fanatical U.S. Agent for the job when Cap turns him down.

The Black Hearted Hero of Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I would hope the answer would be, "Because the story sucked."
    I was dreading the OP would have been like that, but seeing what it is I agree with the reasons presented in the OP a CW like in the comics is not a option.

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

If it would put asses in seats, they'd do it eventually. This is Disney we're talking about. Probably won't happen any time soon, but if they want to do a Marvel Civil War movie, they'll make it happen whether characters are missing or not. It's not like they're limited to what happened in the books anyways.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

The studios don't want to make any of the heroes "wrong" or the "villain." They have their own films to make. Imagine if they did Civil War and lets say Thor is a total jerk. In Thor 3, 4, whatever, how would they make him the hero? It's too complicated for audiences.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

The easiest "hero" to turn "villain" is obviously the Hulk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    Introducing Millar's "Civil War" into the Marvel Movieverse would be retarded (the bad "retarded," not the good "retarded").

I'd much rather see the Commission on Superhuman Activities (CSA) be established in a future Captain America movie, with a shady Henry Peter Gyrich trying to strongarm Cap into becoming some sort of U.S. black ops soldier in the Middle East, and then recruiting a fanatical U.S. Agent for the job when Cap turns him down.
    That could be interesting, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    If it would put asses in seats, they'd do it eventually. This is Disney we're talking about. Probably won't happen any time soon, but if they want to do a Marvel Civil War movie, they'll make it happen whether characters are missing or not. It's not like they're limited to what happened in the books anyways.
    No they wouldn't, why would they? Don't fix what isn't broken. Marvel have done their own thing, and are breaking box office records. Why would Disney come in and start meddling?

And turning these characters who audiences love into bad guys, making them choose sides, would be not be a good business move.

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post

No they wouldn't, why would they? Don't fix what isn't broken. Marvel have done their own thing, and are breaking box office records. Why would Disney come in and start meddling?
    Because Disney's in it for the money, and if they think they could make more by making a Civil War movie, they would make one the second they run out of ideas or aren't meeting expectations. What could be a bigger gimmick than heroes fighting each other? It's not fixing what isn't broken, it's improving on what you have. Improving in regards to selling tickets mind you, not necessarily improving quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    And turning these characters who audiences love into bad guys, making them choose sides, would be not be a good business move.
    Again, they don't have to follow the books. They don't have to make either side the villain. They could do things differently.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

BANNED

Disney is all about money yea... and Avengers has made 700 million in 14 days. Do you realise how utterly ridiculous that is? Disney can just sit back and count the coins. They'd be retarded to start meddling.

Disney suits will not start dictating to Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon what to do with the movies.
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 05-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.

I actually heard a rumour that the basis for Avengers 2 was going to be Civil War. Let's face it there's more and more sinergy between comics-movie-tv, etc...

I think they could use an idea Mark Millar had for a possible Ultimates 3 then he decided to use for other properties. If you watch his War Heroes book it's soldiers what happen to have powers. And this was supposed to be originaly a concept for Ultimate Nick Fury developing super-human soldiers on a large squale. This was going to be a book and a more traditional Avengers team was going to be another book. And then the two groups would face one another down the line in a drag out fight to end the franchise. I figure it could be done on screen if you have all the spies Avengers like Hawkeye, Fury and Nick Fury plus a couple of other creations coming from Shield duking it out against the traditional Avengers. Of course it could be all machination from Hydra who take over the US and take all the heroes down when they face one another. Then you get a comeback, etc....
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!