Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

He's rather unnecessary in both Avengers and New Avengers. Spidey is much better, in my opinion, as a solo hero and the only team he should be on right now is FF. Which he accepted out of honor and respect for his good friend Johnny Storm.

During that whole team picking business at the beginning of New & Avengers I would have liked to see Peter respectfully decline his invitation to be a member of the Avengers teams. Dude just has a lot on his plate allready. Same goes for Wolverine.

Default What does Spider-Man do on the Avengers?

Power wise he's pretty outmatched it seems, and intellect wise, Banner and Tony Stark and Ant Man are smarter.

How come Spider man is on the avengers and what role does he provide that no one else on the team can?

How much smarter btw is Banner than Parker? Banner is the strongest man on earth but is he also the most intelligent? Is he equal to Reed Richards?

Also what about Amadeus Cho, isn't he supposed to be the smartest in the world too?

Sales, basically lol.

He's my favourite character but he doesn't really do anything on the Avengers except make the odd joke here and there or catch falling people in his webbing but that's about it really. Still having said that at least he seems to be getting a fight scene as an Avenger in the AVX vs thing.

Quote Originally Posted by de Sosa View Post
    Power wise he's pretty outmatched it seems, and intellect wise, Banner and Tony Stark and Ant Man are smarter.

How come Spider man is on the avengers and what role does he provide that no one else on the team can?

How much smarter btw is Banner than Parker? Banner is the strongest man on earth but is he also the most intelligent? Is he equal to Reed Richards?

Also what about Amadeus Cho, isn't he supposed to be the smartest in the world too?
    But Banner isn't on the Avengers right now and Banner specializes. I can't say I'm sure Tony Stark is actually smarter since Tony's first suits< what Parker cobbled up on his first few tries once he had actual resources. Pym has been baffled/irritated at the fact that Parker invented spider-tracers randomly and easily as a teenager when it took him years to make an equivalent. He's kind of in the same league as those guys you mentioned. He just rarely used it in an outrageous manner as a hero to the point where people and other heroes tend to not realize his intelligence in favor of remembering the wisecracks. Cho is the 8th smartest when it was last checked I believe.

Yes spider-man does come off as redundant. Bendis even makes jokes about it in the comic itself. There are at least 3 people on the avengers with spider-powers as it is now. He's still useful but Bendis prefers to focus on his pet projects.

Yes, he has the power to boost sales.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    But Banner isn't on the Avengers right now and Banner specializes. I can't say I'm sure Tony Stark is actually smarter since Tony's first suits< what Parker cobbled up on his first few tries once he had actual resources. Pym has been baffled/irritated at the fact that Parker invented spider-tracers randomly and easily as a teenager when it took him years to make an equivalent. He's kind of in the same league as those guys you mentioned. He just rarely used it in an outrageous manner as a hero to the point where people and other heroes tend to not realize his intelligence in favor of remembering the wisecracks. Cho is the 8th smartest when it was last checked I believe.

Yes spider-man does come off as redundant. Bendis even makes jokes about it in the comic itself. There are at least 3 people on the avengers with spider-powers as it is now. He's still useful but Bendis prefers to focus on his pet projects.
    I agree with you his intelligence is underplayed cause he's not that important.
    He is there to boost sails as others have already mentioned.
    To make the odd jokes. He's nothing like the way he is in his own title.
    He's suppose to be an experienced hero, but he is written like an idiot.
    It bothers me I have to say. Cause he's my favorite character, but what can you do.
    He shouldn't be on a team that scale as the Avengers.
    An amazing friends thing would suit him much better.
    The lack of originality will always bother me

Sales

And while others have more power in one department, he has a nice combo of powers to do things others cannot.

As to intellect, I always wanted Peter's tenure on the team to lead to more opportunities to not only show off how bright Peter actually is, but have a chance to learn from the greats.

After all, in one Marvel team-Up Annual, Reed Richards wants to meet Spidey's "friend" who understood a diagram since only a handful of people on the planet would understand the concepts.

THAT'S pretty damn impressive.

Him and Wolverine are basically there for pictures. I wonder what Bendises run would've been like had he tackled a Big 4 powered team.
    Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

Ah. NOW we're getting to a point I've long mulled over. As much as Bendis' run was supposedly him just wanting to throw a team together of his "faves", he made sure to include at least Cap and Iron Man and then threw in some of Marvel's biggest cash cows to help ensure his success.

Would he have been as successful without those four on his team? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by de Sosa View Post

Power wise I actually think Peter is a bit under rated.

Obviously there are people stronger than him. And there's a FEW faster at times (though none right now off the top of my head).

But he has a rare combination of speed, agility, and metahuman strength that actually makes him pretty dangerous when he cuts lose. On a good day he's managed to hold his own against the entire FF and even the X-Men, because he's a guy with 10 ton strength that few are fast enough to lay a hand on.

Also, he's probably the smartest guy on New Avengers... that team doesn't have any Starks or Pyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Ah. NOW we're getting to a point I've long mulled over. As much as Bendis' run was supposedly him just wanting to throw a team together of his "faves", he made sure to include at least Cap and Iron Man and then threw in some of Marvel's biggest cash cows to help ensure his success.

Would he have been as successful without those four on his team? I doubt it.
    Disassembled sold pretty well though, and that was before he added the cash cows to the team (I won't count Cap and Iron Man because pretty much every Avengers writer used them).

His Mighty Avengers and Dark Avengers books sold well too. You can cite other reasons contributing to their sucess, but the bottom line is I don't think anyone can attribute his sucess solely to the cash cows.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Obviously there are people stronger than him. And there's a FEW faster at times (though none right now off the top of my head).

But he has a rare combination of speed, agility, and metahuman strength that actually makes him pretty dangerous when he cuts lose. On a good day he's managed to hold his own against the entire FF and even the X-Men, because he's a guy with 10 ton strength that few are fast enough to lay a hand on.

Also, he's probably the smartest guy on New Avengers... that team doesn't have any Starks or Pyms.
    In NA Peter should be their Stark or Pym. There should be issues where the team is in trouble, but Peter uses his brain to help them win.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

EXACTLY. If you compare him on just strength, sure he looks underpowered. But, class 10 to 15 strength is nearly on par with Powerman/Luke Cage.

His speed, agility, spider sense, and wallcrawling means he's damn near impossible to hit, can do covert operations, knows when trouble's brewing, etc, etc....

In some ways, Spidey's to the Avengers what Martian Manhunter is to the JLA.... only less powerful, of course. :)

Disassembled sold pretty well though, and that was before he added the cash cows to the team (I won't count Cap and Iron Man because pretty much every Avengers writer used them).

His Mighty Avengers and Dark Avengers books sold well too. You can cite other reasons contributing to their sucess, but the bottom line is I don't think anyone can attribute his sucess solely to the cash cows.
    IMO, Diassembled sold due to everyone knowing that this was going to be a massive story about the team being wrecked.

Frankly, i hated it.

And some people do like Bendis' style. It's not to my taste, but to each their own.

Nothing he's useless in-story