Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

By the way, anybody see the latest controversy over The Avengers movie?

A pro-adoption group taking issue with Thor saying that his relationship to Loki is "He's adopted" being used as a joke line in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, anybody see the latest controversy over The Avengers movie?

A pro-adoption group taking issue with Thor saying that his relationship to Loki is "He's adopted" being used as a joke line in the movie.
    I am not surprised, but I don't want to go on about it in a Batman thread, thanks for the info though, it's an interesting piece of news, I'll be googling for that gossip.
    Last edited by listenuscrewheads; 05-11-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by listenuscrewheads View Post
    I am not surprised, but I don't want to go on about it in a Batman thread, thanks for the info though, it's an interesting piece of news, I'll be googling for that gossip.
    http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...e-4639ef24db37

Quote Originally Posted by listenuscrewheads View Post
    edit: you must be looking at a different chart than the one I cited, because i just looked, and the Hulk is the only one in the top 100 of the i tunes download movie chart, as of 5 mins ago, haha. You should cite where you are getting your numbers from, because you gave the appearance of saying it was from the same chart.
    The chart is http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/movie-rentals/ -- and it has indeed changed. I think we can conclude this is not an actual popularity chart, but whatever Apple decides to push at the moment. THere's some pretty questionable stuff on there; I don't think, for instance, that a documentaries on Margaret Thatcher or Stan Lee is being rented that much.

A better way of looking at it might be http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm -- And right at 11 is the kind of thing I'm talking about: Hancock. A pretty darn mediocre film, yet people went to see it because of Will Smith being in it. My contention is that TDK made it's money because of Heath Ledger; otherwise it might have been lucky to make about half of that, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    It's not about an Avenger dying. There's no way that's going to happen. All of them have sequels lined up. It's about a climactic sequence being lessened because there isn't some big twist waiting in the wings. The spoilers:
    "throw a nuke up in the atmosphere/away from Earth/into the lap of the enemy"
    end of spoilers shtick isn't original.
    Like I said, wasn't lessened for me, then again I wasn't expecting anything so dramatic since I knew that everyone was coming out of it fine well ahead of time. And I'm not even going to bother getting into an argument of originality in the superhero subgenre. It's all been done before.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 05-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
    The chart is http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/movie-rentals/ -- and it has indeed changed. I think we can conclude this is not an actual popularity chart, but whatever Apple decides to push at the moment. THere's some pretty questionable stuff on there; I don't think, for instance, that a documentaries on Margaret Thatcher or Stan Lee is being rented that much.
    It is described as their top100 rentals, so I think we have to conclude that is what it is. It was reported in the news that the Hulk film had shot into the top 30 as a result of the Avengers popularity, that was why I looked at the chart, I think it is actually representative of their most popular rentals.

So, a couple of days ago, as I said, the Hulk and Batman were the only two in the top 100,(at 22 and 73) but you posted yesterday that Thor, Cap and both Iron-Mans were in that same chart, at the numbers 18, 27, 39 and 59 iirc, respectively, and now a day later all four have disapeared completely off the chart? I have to say that is the most bizarre chart entry/exit i have ever seen in my life, that has to be unprecedented, how lucky you are to have witnessed such a phenomenon.
    Last edited by listenuscrewheads; 05-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    No. I only see trailers when I go to see another film. I just think it was a bad trailer. It did nothing to make me excited for the film so the only reason I want to see the film remains TDK itself. If I had never seen a Batman film before, this trailer would have done nothing for me. I am curious, do people think, as a trailer, it was really that good?
    Yes, it was. And maybe you should invest in looking at the second trailer on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa
    The rest of the interest came from Ledger's performance. Begins didn't have a similar stand out performance that caught everyone's attention and hence didn't make as much as TDK.
    Ah, but word of mouth helped the box office of "Begins". That's why Warner was pleased and that word of mouth lead to the success of TDK. You can only use Ledger as an excuse for so long. There was repeat performances in the box office for TDK. It was not just for his death, but that his performance was good and that the film was also good as well.

Now compare the marketing of Burton's Batman and Returns to Begins. You didn't have the cross-promotion like those stupid MacDonald's commercials, or random costume changes and accessories thrown in to sell toys, or even a soundtrack with pop stars to provide the audio background of the films.
    That's because on that film, Warner agreed not to over promote tie-in merchandise which was the failing of the last film. Joel Schumacher noted in the commentary and in various interviews that Warner Brothers worried more about the merchandising rights and the profits therein, than in telling a good story. In fact, they encouraged stuff like the credit card gag. That's why when Chris Nolan came in, there was none of that going on in "Begins".

By the time TDKR hits the theaters people will be begging for a dark,complex and engaging story cause by then they will have enough splosions to satisfy them for a year.

I reckon if they're tired of splosions, they better steer clear of TDKR. Nolan loved the explodo in his previous Batman films.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I reckon if they're tired of splosions, they better steer clear of TDKR. Nolan loved the explodo in his previous Batman films.
    You know what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    You know what I meant.
    I really don't.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    It's a failing the trailer doesn't reveal too much? Or did you intend to word your response differently? I still don't get why the Avengers trailer spoilers:
    showed Hulk catching Iron Man in freefall after falling back through the portal, as that was the result of the final heroic maneuver engineered to cut off the Chitauri.
    end of spoilers.
    One thing I've notice is almost every trailer out there has clips of the ending scenes in it.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lotus View Post
    One thing I've notice is almost every trailer out there has clips of the ending scenes in it.
    That's a trend that, unfortunately, has been going on for decades now.

Subtlety is not a word Hollywood has a clue about . . . the teases are usually not hints but sledgehammers telegraphing the whole damn movie in about 30 seconds. (They'd do it with James Bond movies back when Dalton was Bond . . . possibly even in the days of Roger Moore.)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's a trend that, unfortunately, has been going on for decades now.

Subtlety is not a word Hollywood has a clue about . . . the teases are usually not hints but sledgehammers telegraphing the whole damn movie in about 30 seconds. (They'd do it with James Bond movies back when Dalton was Bond . . . possibly even in the days of Roger Moore.)
    Ah, yeah. I heard someone actually chopped up and rearranged the clips from the Prometheus trailers and it basically tells you everything you need to know about what happens in the movie.