Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I dont think people even know there is a spider-man movie coming out overseas there has been zero advertisement here.

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    - No Joker, thwe villains in this movie don't have the same appeal he did
    - No cast death prior to the movie release (and you know that helped)
    - Not family friendly (then again, neither was TDK)

Could be the reasons why it won't make as much as the Avengers.
    For the sake of debate.
    1. Batman Begins
    2. Heath Ledger was not a worldwide superstar before his untimely death.
    3. you made the argument yourself

However I dont think TDKR will outgross TA. Then again so what it will do amazingly well and everyone at WB goes home happy

1. Its batman
    2. Its the finale of a trilogy
    3. It will have a huge advertising campaign behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by osoito View Post
    For the sake of debate.
    1. Batman Begins
    2. Heath Ledger was not a worldwide superstar before his untimely death.
    3. you made the argument yourself

However I dont think TDKR will outgross TA. Then again so what it will do amazingly well and everyone at WB goes home happy

1. Its batman
    2. Its the finale of a trilogy
    3. It will have a huge advertising campaign behind it.
    1. wasn't as successful as TDK, was it?
    2. No, but you can't deny that a lot of people were curious about his last performance
    3. I know, but this movie doesn't have the things TDK had and I think that the dark tone will affect its box office

This doesn't mean it won't be a huge success, though.

2. No, but you can't deny that a lot of people were curious about his last performance
    3. I know, but this movie doesn't have the things TDK had and I think that the dark tone will affect its box office

And I do think many people are aware of Catwoman (and will overlook that Halle Berry mistake).

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Von Doom View Post
    That's all I've been hearing on the internet lately, when predicting how much money TDKR will make most people agree it will make a lot but because it's too dark it won't make as much as TDK. My question is, why would it being too dark stop it from making a lot of money? I mean I haven't seen it but just reading what it's about The Hunger Games sounds pretty dark and depressing and that made $152 million in it's opening week. So how can this be considered too dark when a movie about kids in a bleak future killing each other just made a lot of money. Hell Schindler's List grossed $321 million worldwide and that's about the Holocaust, Titanic was pretty dark with everyone dying at the end and that made $1 billion, the later Harry Potter films were pretty dark too. I'm not getting peoples logic on this who cares if a movies dark as long as it's good people will want to see it. I think people are overrating the effect "serious/darkness" has on the box office.
    For one, you're dealing with the rabid fan boys who are looking to cause a stir by bad mouthing a rival comic company's film, so take those opinions with a grain of salt, it means nothing and there is no sense behind it.

Second, its the last film in a very popular series, its going to do well. Will it do better than the last film " the Dark Knight"? Who knows but the opinion (Which is probably coming from the same fan boys under different names, who are going to about every message board concerning movies and comics to share it) to say that nothing will top "The Avengers" is absurd. For one, you have to see the second weekend of any film to see if it has legs and while i personally loved " The Avengers", i doubt its going to hold its massive legs from this weekend. You have too much competition in the coming weeks and its going to have to fight off those films for attention. Will it do well? Of course it will but to say that "The Dark Knight Rises" does not have a shot at competing with it or toping its weekend is just fanboy talk that is made to cause a stir, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And I do think many people are aware of Catwoman (and will overlook that Halle Berry mistake).
    I know, but she's not the main villain, is she?

It was still hugely successful without a flagship villain. I completely agree with you however on all points.

As to the next poster. I dont think people really care this way or that about catwoman. If we think outside the fanboys nobody remembers that halle berry film. (if i can be so bold to call it that) I dont think many will go see it for anne hathaways catwoman. I may be wrong.

What made TDK a real success was two things:

1) Everybody saw it once.
    2) Many, many people went back to see it twice or thrice or even more.

I think TDKR will for sure have a massive opening, maybe even more than The Avengers (which would be a hell of an accomplishment). Thats tying into the first point. The Dark Knight is a significant piece of modern pop culture. It is the "it" movie. Almost everyone will see it at least once. But the second point is hard to predict. Will it leave audiences with the same impact that The Dark Knight had? Will there be a character who can hypnotize audiences like the Joker did? I'm convinced that the Joker was the big draw for repeat viewings. People were in love with that character and that performance and wanted to relive it over and over (to the point where there was a period of several months where dumbass teenagers did nothing but quote the movie, talk in a nasal voice, deliver "evil" laughs and preach anarchy).

So it can go one of two ways: Huge opening and normal drop off or huge opening and sustained earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    What made TDK a real success was two things:

1) Everybody saw it once.
    2) Many, many people went back to see it twice or thrice or even more.
    I'll give you that many people saw it once, but not this "everyone" overblown claim.

And you can't even reduce it down to "all comic book fans" or "all Batman fans". I didn't see it . . . in fact, last time I saw a Batman movie it had Danny DeVito as Penguin, Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, and Michael Keaton was Batman. (I didn't really like that movie, though I did enjoy the previous one with Keaton.)

Quote Originally Posted by osoito View Post
    Maybe in terms of bringing kids, people would bring younger children to the avengers rather than TDKR. Its not a valid argument other than that.
    That was the belief because "Batman Returns" didn't do as well as the 89 film and that "Batman Forever" did better. But then it and the fourth film both didn't do as well as the 89 film. Much less TDK. I think people want to say this because "The Avengers" did as well as TDK has in half the time.

Christopher Nolan made nearly a billion dollars off a movie that wasn't a sequel or adaptation just because his name was on it and it was good. The Dark Knight made a billion dollars. There is no argument to be made here against TDKR unless it actually under performs when it's released.

Wait till TDKR comes out. Naysayers will talk a different talk.

Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    For one, you're dealing with the rabid fan boys who are looking to cause a stir by bad mouthing a rival comic company's film, so take those opinions with a grain of salt, it means nothing and there is no sense behind it.

Second, its the last film in a very popular series, its going to do well. Will it do better than the last film " the Dark Knight"? Who knows but the opinion (Which is probably coming from the same fan boys under different names, who are going to about every message board concerning movies and comics to share it) to say that nothing will top "The Avengers" is absurd. For one, you have to see the second weekend of any film to see if it has legs and while i personally loved " The Avengers", i doubt its going to hold its massive legs from this weekend. You have too much competition in the coming weeks and its going to have to fight off those films for attention. Will it do well? Of course it will but to say that "The Dark Knight Rises" does not have a shot at competing with it or toping its weekend is just fanboy talk that is made to cause a stir, nothing more.
    Avengers has pretty much zero actual competition until MiB3. Battleship may give it a push in some markets, but it'll be a hard win for Battleship. Two weeks is a lot of time in a movie's release window. And of course the movie's not going to make $200 million in its second week, but it could maybe $100 million, which is fantastic for a week 2. Even $50 million would still be pretty good. Not amazing, but solid. And while there are other big films coming out this summer, there aren't enough with that much buzz to stop Avengers from stretching its legs throughout the summer.

This is going to be a huge summer for the movie industry by the way.

EDIT: Okay. Maybe it has more competition than I thought, but I don't doubt it'll at least get a good months run.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 05-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zur en arrh View Post
    Christopher Nolan made nearly a billion dollars off a movie that wasn't a sequel or adaptation just because his name was on it and it was good. The Dark Knight made a billion dollars. There is no argument to be made here against TDKR unless it actually under performs when it's released.
    I've been saying this all along. Inception had no Batman in the title or in the movie, and it made $800k. I'd be surprised if TDKR doesn't hit the billion mark. Normally in a successful series (LOTR, Harry Potter for instance) the later movies do better.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 05-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Avengers has pretty much zero actual competition until MiB3. Battleship may give it a push in some markets, but it'll be a hard win for Battleship. Two weeks is a lot of time in a movie's release window. And of course the movie's not going to make $200 million in its second week, but it could maybe $100 million, which is fantastic for a week 2. Even $50 million would still be pretty good. Not amazing, but solid. And while there are other big films coming out this summer, there aren't enough with that much buzz to stop Avengers from stretching its legs throughout the summer.

This is going to be a huge summer for the movie industry by the way.

EDIT: Okay. Maybe it has more competition than I thought, but I don't doubt it'll at least get a good months run.
    Battleship has already been released and toppled by Avengers in many overseas markets, I don't know how crazy it'll be here in America. It made $700million in 13 days. It had a lot of heat, a lot of hype, and it lived up to it all. TDKR on the other hand, doesn't, in my opinion at least, have the kind of hype or excitement around it that Avengers did, with all the other Marvel films essentially promoting it.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together