Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stopped by a local shop for FCBD to pick up some freebies, as well as to take advantage of the associated sale. Let's face it, the freebies are basically promotional samplers to get you to buy the real thing, but hey -- they're free so there's not really much you can complain about. That being said, it gave me chance to check out some titles that I don't normally pick up. This time around I picked up Atomic Robo, Star Wars, and Transformers.

I saw LOTS of parents with kids at the store, which I thought was really cool. And thanks to the influx of customers, the shop was doing great business. From where I sit, FCBD seems to have accomplished its purpose, at least for this store -- creating awareness in the community, getting people into the store that don't normally shop there (I normally get new comics elsewhere, but decided to check out this store for FCBD because they were having a lot of other stuff going on), drawing people in with free comics and then getting them to buy stuff.

Good promo. Good for kids.
    I wish there were more stores that would include old stock or back issues. Plus the companies probably have a warehouse full of unsold stock that they could get rid of instead of making these flip books, previews, and sampler comics. It's starting to feel too much like a commecial gimmick with self-promotion flyers. They're obviously trying to attract people to the stores but if they're going to promo this as a free comic day, they should include "real" comics and not these fabricated catalogues disguised as comics.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Parch View Post
    Gothe companies probably have a warehouse full of unsold stock.
    Not sure how true this is in these days of (with very few exceptions, last time I was paying attention, which admittedly was awhile back) nonnreturnable shipments.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Yeah, from what I've read they're pretty careful with preorders and overproduction to avoid overstock, but unavailibility and required 2nd printings of some issues is also a concern. Wouldn't it be better to make an extra box or two in case there's extra demand instead of going for a 2nd printing? Then if there is overstock it can go to Free Comic Book Day.

I suppose it's all a safe and cautious business decision, but creating and printing a special issue for FCBD is also an extra cost.

Went back to the LCS and they had a few leftover Donald Duck Family issues. I took one to mail to (ironically enough) my three young nephews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    It means freebies...I give them away in sets of 3-4 especially if the kid is cute. My dealer and I also have Free Playboy day for our better customers...but that's another story.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

My FCBD was volunteering for the Hero Initiative at my LCS. I gave out free comics and flyers about the Initiative while showing off our newest thing:

Julie Schwartz Cover Proofs!
    These are the original proofs from Julie's own collection. We sold over 100 of them so far and have about 250 or so left. Sadly no one bought any, but the people loved seeing them. Neal Adams signed a few, Joe Gialla did as well. I didn't want any comics but my shop had 30% off all items in the shop so I picked up the Guillem March art HC.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak Kid View Post
    Just wondering what Free Comic Book Day means to the posters on this forum.
    Free comics? At my LCS it also means cheap comics (sale), plus free cake and a draw of some sort. Plus a crowded store. The local library sale is the same day, so I also associate it with cheap/free books in general. It's usually the weekend of the first super hero movie release and the weekend a local fair opens here for the first weeks of Summer, plus this year it was on Cinqo De Mayo, so it means an awesome weekend in general.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

this time i got 2000AD FCBD and Transformers 80.5

2000ad was all reprints except a 4-page Dredd story which was pretty enjoyable but just a promo really. Transformers the same except for the 'enjoyable' part.

i usually always get a couple. but they nearly always turn out to be little more than flyers/promotional material. Marvel's are usually pretty good though, especially the ASM ones which have tied into current storylines.

Here is an example where FCBD lead to an actual sale. Finding Gossamyr was not on my order list but has been added as a result of FCBD. The FCBD issue sets up what happens in the series.