BANNED

Default video of some guy rantng about the death of Superman

I think this guy is nuts personally but i thought i would share and see what you guys thought.

http://www.screwattack.com/find-out-...rowdignite.com

Yeah, the only thing of value I got out of this is that the girl with the short red hair is really cute!
    Life looks better in black and white.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Yeah, the only thing of value I got out of this is that the girl with the short red hair is really cute!
    You made it further than i did.

BANNED

I'm not even going to click on the link, but I do agree that Death of Superman did a lot of long term damage to the industry, popping the speculator's bubble.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm not even going to click on the link, but I do agree that Death of Superman did a lot of long term damage to the industry, popping the speculator's bubble.
    Yeah i was hoping for an incise critique but that's not what i got unfortunately,

it's humor...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protonik View Post
    it's humor...
    Yeah it's just not the kind that i appreciate.

I thought it was hilarious.

Frodo as Hank Henshaw!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lewarcher1949 View Post
    I thought it was hilarious.

Frodo as Hank Henshaw!
    I'm glad you liked it.

That's the writer of Chronicle..wouldn't say he is nuts.

Old video is old.

Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    Yeah i was hoping for an incise critique but that's not what i got unfortunately,
    Well, here's what I said on the subject in the thread about "In Defense Of The 90's", when this video was linked. It centered around his interpretation of why the death happened at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001
    But his facts are wrong on why Superman was killed. It had nothing to do with making him relevant. That was a side effect of going down that path. The reason was simple, their planned wedding was delayed due to "Lois & Clark" being developed and the decision to wait until it happened on the show, to publish that story in the comics. The idea of killing off Superman was always a joke that was never taken seriously. And it only did because they were up a tree and didn't have enough time to really come up with an alternative. What happened with Batman was a coincidence because O'Neil and the Bat writers were coming up with that independent of what Carlin and the Super writers were working on. Everything else afterwards, yeah, the door was open for that. Though in the case of GL and Spider-Man, it was more of the writers and editors trying to come up with a solution to an issue that they had.

To suggest that there were no consequences for Superman's return is faulty. There were plenty.

-Hank Henshaw wanted to kill Superman for what he, in his insanity believed that Clark was responsible for. Namely the death of his wife and his current condition. With Superman dead, Henshaw came up with plan B, which involved the destruction of Coast City. Which in turn set the path for what happened in the Green Lantern series, with the ripple effects still being felt today. Even in the post "Flashpoint" world.

-The missile that was going to destroy Metropolis like Coast City was diverted by Superboy, but unexpectedly, the chemical contents fell into the river and got into the water supply. This, in turn, affected all the clones that were subjected to rapid aging. It killed off the Underworlders, made Superboy and the Newboy Legion deathly ill and would contribute to what happened to Lex Luthor.

-Lex Luthor killed Sasha Green due to her embarrassing him in front of Lois and Supergirl. The effort to cover his tracks was poor and evidence of his involvement in something came to light, which in turn kicked off Lex being exposed as a villain for the first time. Along with the clone disease exposing him as the real Luthor and not his son. With his health deteriorated, Lex was out of action until "Underworld Unleashed", where Neron restored Lex and he was subsequently able to clear his name, which then set him on the path to become President of the United States of America.

-John Henry Irons introduced and became Steel, a hero who continues to be part of the DCU. Having a monthly series, a role in the highly successful JLA and "52" series and moved out into the other media. Same with Superboy and Doomsday.

Yes, it did affect the industry long term, but that was no different from "Watchmen" and "The Dark Knight Returns" kicking off the grim and gritty era. Not to mention that with corporate owned comics, there's always going to be a point where death doesn't matter.

Yeah I have to say..it would of been a lot better if he didn't get a bunch of facts wrong.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Yeah I have to say..it would of been a lot better if he didn't get a bunch of facts wrong.
    Or if he didn't come off as a douche who seems to think he's the coolest guy in the room.

I couldn't make it even a minute.

Well, he grossly simplifies a few things about it in the video. And there are some aspects I'm not sure if he at all got them.

Having said that:

Death-and-Return of Superman is the embodiment of decadence. If you enjoy fluff while allowing the core of the thing to rot. Guilty pleasures to the extreme.
    The storyline made for some really nice superman family moments. And we got Superboy out of it, who went on to have a very nice and good own series.
    We also got Steel out of it, who is a sad joke.

I'm currently in the final few chapters of Roger Stern's novelization. And when one doesn't have artwork to "distract" one from the story, only then does one realize the full extent of absurdity, camp, and unbearable kitsch that makes up this icon besmirching mess of a tale. This story is constructed in such a threadbare way one needs an 18-wheeler of suspension of disbelief to like it. And the religious near-death experience of pa Kent, into which Superman is practically dragged, finally ruins it for good.

Not to mention the fact that not a single character in there (Ma Kent, Pa Kent, Lois, Lex, Supergirl, the Guardian, Turpin, whoever) behaves psychologically/characteristically consistent throughout it.