Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default COMMENTARY TRACK: X-O Manowar #1

Writer Robert Venditti takes readers inside the action of Valiant's reborn superpowered Visigoth warrior, explaining how he and Cary Nord teamed to create "X-O Manowar" #1 from legendary historical battles to the secrets of alien invasions.

Full article here.

Sounds like he might not get the armor for another 2 issues or so. Regardless, super excited.
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

I am waiting this book with great impatience!!!! And with Cary Nord at the drawing table, it is a pure chef-d'oeuvre!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Sounds like he might not get the armor for another 2 issues or so. Regardless, super excited.
    Which matches the solicits, unfortunately, just as I feared. While I appreciate wanting to start the series off big, and the work Vendetti did to make it look authentic, spending so much time in the past comes off as filler. And at $4 a pop…
    Mario Di Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    Which matches the solicits, unfortunately, just as I feared. While I appreciate wanting to start the series off big, and the work Vendetti did to make it look authentic, spending so much time in the past comes off as filler. And at $4 a pop…
    Agreed, by #2 Aric should have the armor and be in the 21st century.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Agreed, by #2 Aric should have the armor and be in the 21st century.
    If I had my druthers, the book would have opened in the 21st century, with a Bondian "teaser" showing Aric in battle with the armor. And THEN start the flashback story of how he got it. That way, a new reader gets at least a taste of where the story is headed.

If you think about it, the only reasons we know he'll end up in modern day are A) we know the character, and B) we read the news sites.

A new reader, coming at this cold, might assume that the whole story will take place in the past.
    Mario Di Giacomo

If I had my druthers, the book would have opened in the 21st century, with a Bondian "teaser" showing Aric in battle with the armor. And THEN start the flashback story of how he got it. That way, a new reader gets at least a taste of where the story is headed.

If you think about it, the only reasons we know he'll end up in modern day are A) we know the character, and B) we read the news sites.

A new reader, coming at this cold, might assume that the whole story will take place in the past.
    Good points, let's hope that these barbarian stuff have a payoff in future arcs. Otherwise you can start reading this book at #4.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Its definitly a curious decision being that X-O is the big launch of the return of Valiant. That was the hook of the 90's beginning Valiant issues - toss the reader right into the character with little delay. They even saved the past stuff for issue 0 which came out a year+ after the book started. Im hoping they dont draw things out too much because they can ill afford to wait around in this day and age of comics and its competitive market. I liked the new issue and all but there could have been a lot more bite - and the main character in the armor :)
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

I disagree because contrary to Marvel and DC, Valiant always had a more linear traditional storytelling and it's actually refreshing to see it told this way in this day and age. Sure it requires a greater effort from the reader but so what Valiant should be its own thing. If readers don't have the patience to go on a journey well screw them.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

I like the slow story building pace its starting off with. Great to see a title I loved years ago being redone. Thanks Valiant!

While it would have been totally geek tactic to see Aric in the armor, I am OK with it. We still got to see the Armor, albeit on a Spider Alien.

I figure he gets the armor in issue 2 with a final page spread showing him in it for the first time. Then issue 3 is just Aric taking out Vine aliens. Looking forward to that.

My guess is he gets free end of issue 3, returns to Earth and is shocked to discover the time lapse.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I disagree because contrary to Marvel and DC, Valiant always had a more linear traditional storytelling and it's actually refreshing to see it told this way in this day and age. Sure it requires a greater effort from the reader but so what Valiant should be its own thing. If readers don't have the patience to go on a journey well screw them.
    Totally agree with this...I really don't get why people think the story 'starts' when he gets the armor.

Just read it for what it is and stop worrying about where it's headed and when it is going to get there.

I like the pace this is moving at so far, and really enjoyed this book. The setup is half the fun to me, as I like me some backstory. I never read the original and this is a cool intro.

I thought the story and artwork for X-O #1 was very dissapointing. We all know where the story will wind up, why make us labor through details? Living armor is a wonderful idea. Intrigue me with that first, then build your background and history. Spider aliens are not that hard to top, but they are seeming to be more exciting than visigoths and romans so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketAces View Post
    I thought the story and artwork for X-O #1 was very dissapointing. We all know where the story will wind up, why make us labor through details? Living armor is a wonderful idea. Intrigue me with that first, then build your background and history. Spider aliens are not that hard to top, but they are seeming to be more exciting than visigoths and romans so far.
    Just because you know where the story is going doesn't mean others do. It's been over 15 years since an XO Manowar book was published. Many readers today were too young or not even born when XO was popular.

That being said, I agree they should have at least ended the issue with Aric in the armor if only because that is what is shown on the cover and it drives me crazy when covers are not reflective of the issue itself.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.