Default Proto Marvel Stand-Ins

With the hype about the latest Marvel movie--The Avengers--I was thinking about what pre-existing heroes from different companies could stand in for the movie line-up. Here's what I've come up with:

Iron Man = Robotman (DC)
    Thor = Thor (Fox)
    Captain America = The Shield (MLJ)
    The Hulk = The Heap (Hillman)
    Hawkeye = Golden Arrow (Fawcett)
    Black Widow = Black Cat (Harvey)
    Nick Fury = Bart Regan (DC)
    Maria Hill = Sally Norris (DC)

Also for the original Avengers comic book line-up...

Ant Man = Doll Man (Quality)
    Wasp = Doll Girl (Quality)

Anyone care to offer their own ideas for Marvel stand-ins?

Iron Man - Steel
    Captain America - The Guardian
    Thor - Orion
    The Hulk - Blockbuster
    Hawkeye - Green Arrow
    Black Widow - Black Canary
    Nick Fury - Nemesis
    Maria Hill - Amanda Waller
    Life looks better in black and white.

I was thinking of characters that pre-existed the Marvel ones (and may even have influenced the Marvel characters). Actually The Shield seems to anticipate some aspects of Iron Man (and for that matter Steel, aka Commander Steel). Of course, there was an actual character in the Golden Age named Iron Man, created by Vernon Miller in Better Comics from Maple Leaf Publishing (in my hometown of Vancouver)--but the similarity is only in the name.

In addition to their Thor, Fox also published Samson--who was more of a star character. Thor only lasted for five issues of Weird Comics back in 1940. Like Marvel's Thor, Samson had long blonde hair. While he had the powers of the biblical Samson, he was a modern man and not the original Samson. Not only did Samson appear in Fantastic Comics and Big 3 Comics (which also featured Blue Beetle and The Flame), but he carried his own title as well. Then there's Viking Prince--not a god, but still.

I suspect that Harvey's success with Black Cat is what "inspired" DC to create Black Canary--the Harvey heroine had been around for six years before Dinah put on her fishnets.

Among the archers, other than Robin Hood, I think Golden Arrow was the first--debuting in Whiz Comics 2 (the same issue that introduced Captain Marvel), in 1940, over a year before Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I was thinking of characters that pre-existed the Marvel ones (and may even have influenced the Marvel characters). Actually The Shield seems to anticipate some aspects of Iron Man (and for that matter Steel, aka Commander Steel). Of course, there was an actual character in the Golden Age named Iron Man, created by Vernon Miller in Better Comics from Maple Leaf Publishing (in my hometown of Vancouver)--but the similarity is only in the name.

In addition to their Thor, Fox also published Samson--who was more of a star character. Thor only lasted for five issues of Weird Comics back in 1940. Like Marvel's Thor, Samson had long blonde hair. While he had the powers of the biblical Samson, he was a modern man and not the original Samson. Not only did Samson appear in Fantastic Comics and Big 3 Comics (which also featured Blue Beetle and The Flame), but he carried his own title as well. Then there's Viking Prince--not a god, but still.

I suspect that Harvey's success with Black Cat is what "inspired" DC to create Black Canary--the Harvey heroine had been around for six years before Dinah put on her fishnets.

Among the archers, other than Robin Hood, I think Golden Arrow was the first--debuting in Whiz Comics 2 (the same issue that introduced Captain Marvel), in 1940, over a year before Green Arrow.
    Totally missed the pre-existing part, sorry.
    Life looks better in black and white.