View Poll Results: Who was the best Bruce Banner?

Voters
215. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Eric Bana

9 4.19%
  • Edward Norton

38 17.67%
  • Mark Ruffalo

163 75.81%
  • Lou Ferrigno

5 2.33%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Ruffalo was the best to me of the ones listed. Bill Bixby would be my choice if he was in the poll. Of course that would be unfair because he had much longer to play Banner. Even then he really played a fine Bruce Banner. He was smart, tortured with trying to keep the beast within, and man oh man were his transformations great! Everyone has acted out a Bixby transformation at least once, and if you haven't you have no soul.

Bana played in what's my favorite Hulk movie. I absolutely love Ang's Hulk. It's so deep, and the characters are well done and multifaceted. One of my only problems with the movie is Bana. He plays the repressed part correctly, but he plays it too much. It's like he's whispering the whole movie. His transformations were great though. Next to Bixby I think that his were the best.

Norton was good. He came across very Bixby like, but the problem with the Incredible Hulk movie is that there isn't much to it. There's not much build up, character depth, and the Hulk looks really terrible. He looks like a roided up piece of vomit. But when it comes to the Banner portrayal Norton does well with it. He's a talented actor after all. He's just not as memorable as he could be, but that's no biggie.

Ruffalo was excellent. His Banner was intelligent, but you can tell he was so used to being repressed. He really spoke as if he was a guy that really didn't want to let loose on anything, so he's a bit overly nice like you would expect Banner to be like. One thing I loved about the movie is that they went to great lengths to show Banner's intelligence. The only problem is that the transformations were a bit weak. When Banner transforms into Hulk it's supposed to be this epic event that unleashes a ton of rage. In the Avengers it just sort of happens. He was still cool as hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloak View Post
    Nah not really, look at The Dark Knight at best Batman is a back seat driver in that movie. There was too many new philosophies to introduce and visually deconstruct for the movie to dwell on who Bruce is and why he does what he does (Which I think is how heroes work in all mediums. Shit happens and the heroes take it upon themselves to do something about it. Then we trying understand why.); they held off on deconstructing Batman until the end. I figure, that way in the audience's mind once the big questions are asked we realize what we just watched answered those questions before it was asked.

I would have used your balanced approach for the origin story; in order to create the illusion that this character is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    I'm not saying go deep into the psychology. Just that Bruce Banner works as someone with personal demons, that's the appeal of the character. But it doesn't mean he should not try to help people and be a hero. I thought the tv show had a great balance. Bixby played him like a sad, tortured soul yet he was trying his best to make the World a better place.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Balls View Post
    I liked Ruffalo a lot - mostly because he didn't seem to be trying to be conflicted. He came across as very natural and normal - I thought that was a very effective way, compared to the past ways he's been portrayed.
    I would think it would be different in his own movie, though. Just trying to prevent the transformation, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
    Ruffalo was the best to me of the ones listed. Bill Bixby would be my choice if he was in the poll. Of course that would be unfair because he had much longer to play Banner. Even then he really played a fine Bruce Banner. He was smart, tortured with trying to keep the beast within, and man oh man were his transformations great! Everyone has acted out a Bixby transformation at least once, and if you haven't you have no soul.

Bana played in what's my favorite Hulk movie. I absolutely love Ang's Hulk. It's so deep, and the characters are well done and multifaceted. One of my only problems with the movie is Bana. He plays the repressed part correctly, but he plays it too much. It's like he's whispering the whole movie. His transformations were great though. Next to Bixby I think that his were the best.

Norton was good. He came across very Bixby like, but the problem with the Incredible Hulk movie is that there isn't much to it. There's not much build up, character depth, and the Hulk looks really terrible. He looks like a roided up piece of vomit. But when it comes to the Banner portrayal Norton does well with it. He's a talented actor after all. He's just not as memorable as he could be, but that's no biggie.

Ruffalo was excellent. His Banner was intelligent, but you can tell he was so used to being repressed. He really spoke as if he was a guy that really didn't want to let loose on anything, so he's a bit overly nice like you would expect Banner to be like. One thing I loved about the movie is that they went to great lengths to show Banner's intelligence. The only problem is that the transformations were a bit weak. When Banner transforms into Hulk it's supposed to be this epic event that unleashes a ton of rage. In the Avengers it just sort of happens. He was still cool as hell though.
    Yea if I have a gripe it's that, I especially didn't like when Banner just went head first into the mecanical monster and changed so easily. At least make him shake a little to show a struggle. Also, in my opinion, when he transform it should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Yea if I have a gripe it's that, I especially didn't like when Banner just went head first into the mecanical monster and changed so easily. At least make him shake a little to show a struggle. Also, in my opinion, when he transform it should be painful.
    It seemed odd to me he could just switch it on whenever. But I guess at the end of The Incredible Hulk, Norton seemed to have mastered control?
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    It seemed odd to me he could just switch it on whenever. But I guess at the end of The Incredible Hulk, Norton seemed to have mastered control?
    yeah, i thought it was supposed to be a big character moment for banner? earlier in the film, he seemed like a lot in pain....but that was bc the transformation was unwelcome. during the invasion, he willingly let the hulk out.

Why would there be a struggle? He was letting Hulk out, Hulk wasn't fighting his way out like normal.

I'm not saying go deep into the psychology. Just that Bruce Banner works as someone with personal demons, that's the appeal of the character. But it doesn't mean he should not try to help people and be a hero. I thought the tv show had a great balance. Bixby played him like a sad, tortured soul yet he was trying his best to make the World a better place.
    I think we're closer to the same point then it seems.

Every time the character deals with people and conflicts it is a reflection on the character and there are going to reactions happening around those events in the movie. Those reactions should put efforts towards foreshadowing some of the internal struggles Hulk and Banner will have to deal with later in the movie. However, I'm not interesting in too many moments early on with Banner being very self aware and burdened with the weight of what he represent. Although, I would mind seeing Hulk dealing with his place in the world.

The Hulk is a force of nature; we will forgive him for his destruction because the world we've built was not made to share with him.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Stories are not science experiments predicable outcomes are not the payoffs.

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

Lou Ferrigno.....good Hulk with very bad special FX and usually average writing.
    Eric Bana....nice guy with bad writers and too much CGI.
    Ed Nortan... primadonna no one wants to work with.
    Mark Ruffalo...the new improved Banner/Wise-cracking Hulk. Very Peter David in the head but, with some green head, Green color and strength.
    Namor is King! Killraven too. Mantis is the greatest!

Shatterstar is gay. Deadpool is Bi.

At first I was a little hesitant, but I knew Rufalo was a good enough actor, my only concern was the Norton fans not giving him a chance, but they seem to have given him that chance, and he was simply awesome as Banner AND Hulk!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly T View Post
    Ruffalo, hands down, but I'd credit Joss Whedon with much of that as well. He's really seemed to unlock the key to what makes Hulk work: an affable Banner. Bana's repressed childish rage and Norton's practiced quiet both led to lead characters that are completely unlikable. They are practically place-holding cyphers used as plot devices biding time until the monster is unleashed. However, Ruffalo's truly Zen-like approach, rife with self-deprecating, gallows humor makes Banner a guy you actually like, and when he turns into a monster, you feel the loss of Banner. That way when the moments come when you can see Banner in Hulk, having liked Banner then makes you like Hulk. Judging by the audience reaction at my screening, it worked.
    That is exactly it. I've always liked Hulk, but I think part of the main reason I was never an avid fan of the comics or previous film versions was because Banner seemed like kind of a bland guy and the whole story just seemed endlessly depressing and hopeless. This movie really made me not just like Banner, but pretty much love and sympathize with him and it showed him as a hero trying to use his curse for something good. His understated, dark sense of humor was great. Ruffalo and Whedon did such a great job with him. Easily my favorite character in the film.

Mark Ruffalo - "When I started to prepare for this movie, to try and figure out this guy, put together who he is, I decided I was going to go back and watch the boxed set of Bill Bixby's Incredible Hulk..."
    http://www.usatoday.com/video/index....=1618126010001
    Again how is Bixby not on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Why would there be a struggle? He was letting Hulk out, Hulk wasn't fighting his way out like normal.
    Because Banner needs to have pain, to be mad to transform. He can't just let it out like brushing his teeth. Someone should have slapped his face at least.

Because Banner needs to have pain, to be mad to transform. He can't just let it out like brushing his teeth. Someone should have slapped his face at least.
    But thats the whole point of his character development in the two films. Hes not only accepted Hulk as part of himself that can be used for good, hes learned how to control Hulk and trigger transformations voluntarily without having to hurt himself or stress himself out.

I agree with Pauly T in that each movie plays out at a different time in Bruce's life (can't say which actor really "nailed it down").

But I prefer the Hulk of 2008 over the others, the angry-at-the-world and more menacing-looking version of the character:

[Level 1 antagonism]
    Homer: Ned Flanders, I mock your value system. You also appear foolish to the eyes of others.
    Ned: Well howdy, Homer! Thanks for dropping by!
    [Level 2 antagonism]
    Homer: Past instances in which I professed to like you, were fraudulent.
    Ned: Oh well. I'll just have to try harder. Thanks for dropping by!
    [Maximum hostility factor]
    Homer: I engaged in intercourse with your spouse or significant other. Now that's psychiatry!