View Poll Results: Who was the best Bruce Banner?

Voters
215. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Eric Bana

9 4.19%
  • Edward Norton

38 17.67%
  • Mark Ruffalo

163 75.81%
  • Lou Ferrigno

5 2.33%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Ruffalo without a doubt but I can't go without recognizing Norton.
    Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

Ruffalo is really good, but there is also something to be said about the timeline of the character in each movie, too.

Bana is Banner becoming the Hulk. I personally like the actor and his performance in that movie. Bana can and did portray that smoldering intensity underneath, but on the surface he was just too repressed to be likable in any way. He's just that creepy weird dude at the office more than anything else. Nobody likes that guy. That said, I did sympathize with him. He totally conveys all of that repressed childhood fear and impotent rage. It works a character study, but it doesn't really capture the classic Marvel Hulk.

Norton is Banner who is trying to cure the Hulk. He's full-on actively trying to fight it all the time, but that tempered, measured, forced control makes him closed-off from everyone, including the audience. And Norton just couldn't relay an actual person underneath all the relaxation techniques. Personally, I think Bana would have done a better job in this role, as it would have allowed him to open up a bit.

Ruffalo is Banner trying to come to terms with being the Hulk. Not to get to spoilery but, this Banner knows he's stuck with the Hulk, and all he can do is accept it and try to manage it as best he can. It's generally a better place for the audience to connect as Banner being the Hulk is the status quo for the character. That said, Ruffalo is superb at portraying this guy well beyond the end of his rope who is just trying to carry on.

It makes me wish they could have gotten Ruffalo into this role earlier as the strength of his performance convinces me he could have excelled at playing Banner at the previous stages where the other actors dropped the ball, IMO.

After seeing Avengers Ruffalo knocks the others out of the park. I rewatched Incredible Hulk a few days ago Norton does a decent job as Banner IMO, but he's really just playing an edward norton character who happens to be banner. Ruffalo really gives a much needed personality to the role in making Banner every bit as memorable and interesting as the rest of the cast. I would love the opportunity to see what a movie using this Banner would turn into. Ruffalo has made me very happy that Norton didn't get signed on to the Avengers film.

Lou Ferrigno, granted I voted believing this was for the best Hulk, because he is there. I never saw his Banner, but his Hulk, both the live action and voice work on the 90s cartoon are classic stuff.

BANNED

I loved it when Hulk punched Thor out of the blue after they were done fighting side by side with each other. That part cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Squirrel View Post
    After seeing Avengers Ruffalo knocks the others out of the park. I rewatched Incredible Hulk a few days ago Norton does a decent job as Banner IMO, but he's really just playing an edward norton character who happens to be banner. Ruffalo really gives a much needed personality to the role in making Banner every bit as memorable and interesting as the rest of the cast. I would love the opportunity to see what a movie using this Banner would turn into. Ruffalo has made me very happy that Norton didn't get signed on to the Avengers film.
    That's kind of why I couldn't quite buy into Norton as Banner because he's...well....Ed Norton. Granted, I think he tried his best and it did give the movie extra star power but he was far from my first choice to portray Banner, plus he had these odd quirks such as having a hand in the script and not working well with Feige which I guess just couldn't be helped.

Mark Ruffalo is less of a known quantity and as Banner I thought he was really likable and did the role justice so I'd definitely say he captured the essence of the character a lot better. In fact I wished he was Banner instead of Norton in the reboot Hulk movie.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

a good little character moment is when Loki is aggravating everyone with that staff and Banner stops everyone cold by offhandedly mentioning that he had attempted suicide. it just came out of nowhere and was unexpected given his general lax kind of behavior.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Emissary of Justice View Post
    The Incredible Hulk was a ton of fun, but if there was one major issue I had with the film was Norton's portrayal of Bruce Banner. In that film, Norton plays the typical Hollywood everyman that is trust into a terrible yet compelling predicament due to powers beyond his control. At no phase does he appear the genius that would've been allowed anywhere near the program that resulted in him becoming Hulk. It's such a glaring omission that it's practically a plot hole.

Eric Bana and Mark Ruffalo both ensure Bruce Banner is every bit the genius we know from the comics. Unlike Norton's version, theirs could engage Reed Richards in a scientific conversation and not wind up scratching their heads like Grimm or Johnny would and demonstrated that despite being a typically nice person, there was clearly still a psychologically disturbed individual tucked inside there.
    Pretty obvious who my vote went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    p.s. i still think that movie-Banner really has little in common with the guy in the comic books.
    Current mad scientist Banner? No doubt. Prior to Loeb screwing up everything? Ruffalo seems exactly like that guy.
    Last edited by Emissary of Justice; 05-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly T View Post
    Ruffalo is really good, but there is also something to be said about the timeline of the character in each movie, too.

Bana is Banner becoming the Hulk. I personally like the actor and his performance in that movie. Bana can and did portray that smoldering intensity underneath, but on the surface he was just too repressed to be likable in any way. He's just that creepy weird dude at the office more than anything else. Nobody likes that guy. That said, I did sympathize with him. He totally conveys all of that repressed childhood fear and impotent rage. It works a character study, but it doesn't really capture the classic Marvel Hulk.

Norton is Banner who is trying to cure the Hulk. He's full-on actively trying to fight it all the time, but that tempered, measured, forced control makes him closed-off from everyone, including the audience. And Norton just couldn't relay an actual person underneath all the relaxation techniques. Personally, I think Bana would have done a better job in this role, as it would have allowed him to open up a bit.

Ruffalo is Banner trying to come to terms with being the Hulk. Not to get to spoilery but, this Banner knows he's stuck with the Hulk, and all he can do is accept it and try to manage it as best he can. It's generally a better place for the audience to connect as Banner being the Hulk is the status quo for the character. That said, Ruffalo is superb at portraying this guy well beyond the end of his rope who is just trying to carry on.

It makes me wish they could have gotten Ruffalo into this role earlier as the strength of his performance convinces me he could have excelled at playing Banner at the previous stages where the other actors dropped the ball, IMO.
    True and Futhermore....

Bana was too much testosterone(was played more like a psycho)
    Norton gave off a too much "controled" performance

I think what gives Ruffalo the edge I think was two things: similar to Bill Bixby, he gave off a warmt the others did not possess. And he was the most convincing as a scientist.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Ruffalo version of Bruce Banner was the best.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glynne Ainsworth View Post
    I'ld say Bill bixby as well. But it wasn't a choice, so I went with Ruffalo.
    The same...but for current Hulk...Raffle surprised me. I'm hoping he has a trilogy. Don't reboot, adapt WWH.

Ruffalo, hands down, but I'd credit Joss Whedon with much of that as well. He's really seemed to unlock the key to what makes Hulk work: an affable Banner. Bana's repressed childish rage and Norton's practiced quiet both led to lead characters that are completely unlikable. They are practically place-holding cyphers used as plot devices biding time until the monster is unleashed. However, Ruffalo's truly Zen-like approach, rife with self-deprecating, gallows humor makes Banner a guy you actually like, and when he turns into a monster, you feel the loss of Banner. That way when the moments come when you can see Banner in Hulk, having liked Banner then makes you like Hulk. Judging by the audience reaction at my screening, it worked.

I completely agree with both of those assessments of the character's movies history. Maybe as I fan I was too close to these stories to be objective but in the past I've recommended more affable scenes to help the audience connect or down right envy Banner/Hulk's life. I mean every superhero movies needs those to help contrast the hard luck. But, you hit the nail on the head about the what context the previous Hulk movies should be held in (even though I prefer the first over the second). I feel no one dropped the ball on either movie but the unlike the TV show(they left his origin to the intro), they chose the wrong point in the life of Hulk to display while they harbored typical (Marvel)Superhero movie profits expectations.

From this point on all of his story should be about him fighting the darkness that exist out there in the world rather then his personal demons.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Stories are not science experiments predicable outcomes are not the payoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloak View Post
    I completely agree with both of those assessments of the character's movies history. Maybe as I fan I was too close to these stories to be objective but in the past I've recommended more affable scenes to help the audience connect or down right envy Banner/Hulk's life. I mean every superhero movies needs those to help contrast the hard luck. But, you hit the nail on the head about the what context the previous Hulk movies should be held in (even though I prefer the first over the second). I feel no one dropped the ball on either movie but the unlike the TV show(they left his origin to the intro), they chose the wrong point in the life of Hulk to display while they harbored typical (Marvel)Superhero movie profits expectations.

From this point on all of his story should be about him fighting the darkness that exist out there in the world rather then his personal demons.
    It should be a perfect balance of both.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Ruffalo easily. I've never been scared of Bruce Banner. Ruffalo changed that.

My big hope for Hulk is that they eventually introduce the grey Hulk.

I'm leaning towards Ruffalo as well.

Though in a way it's almost unfair, since he had to carry a much smaller role in a much (IMO) better movie. I definately liked his Banner the best... but its entirely possible I would be saying the same thing if Bana or Norton were in the Avengers movie instead.