Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I really enjoyed the majority of Michelinie's run. Sure he had a flop or two here and there (what writer doesn't after so many years on a title?) but I just enjoy the heck out of reading his stuff. It was fun and a blast to read. I'd gladly buy another of his Spidey or Venom stories if they should ask him to come back. And for those of you thinking "Gosh that 'Round Robin' story sucks!", it was actually written by Al Milgrom. I can't tell you how many people think Michelinie did that story and hold him and his run to that particular story.

His Venom and Carnage stories were the best, and I don't think either character flourished as well under any other writer; I also loved his Acts of Vengeance/Captain Universe Spidey, his Sinister Six story was great, I enjoyed his Dr.Doom/Black Fox two-parter, His Spider-Slayer story was fun, and I thought he had a real talent for using classic villains and revitalizing them, too (Chameleon, Rhino, Scorpion, etc). And the guy created some really memorable characters; some more so than others, but most of them are still being used today in some capacity: Venom, Carnage, Chance, Solo, Cardiac, the Tri-Sentinel, etc.

In fact, I feel Michelinie's run was one of the last good classic runs on Amazing Spider-Man.

And no, I read the rules about being able to have Ditko/Lee and Lee by himself. I just chose not to add Lee by himself.

And color me surprised when someone leaves off Gerry Conway or Marv Wolfman. I loved the hell out of Conway's run (Clone Saga, Death of Gwen Stacy, Punisher, etc), and from what I've read of Wolfman's run thus far (don't worry, I'll read 'em all sometime soon), it was fantastic (especially his Mysterio/Burglar story); plus, Wolfman gave us Black Cat. If that doesn't warrant him a top spot, I don't know what does.
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    I wonder if Mark Bagley will make the list he's always forgotten
    I hope he will
    If anyone is always forgotten, it's Jim Mooney, he didn't place as much impact as Ditko, Romita sr, Romita jr, MacFarlane & Bagley did, but his work is great and beautiful, it saddens me how forgotten he is

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaos View Post
    I think Michelinie is sure a major writer, as is JMS, though that does not make them "greatest". IT's a little bit difficult to judge though. For
    What is essential from his work is what he did with Venom, Carnage, and making Pete & MJ a married couple (one of my favorite stories btw)
    The rest of his work can be forgotten, or read as simple basic fun
    Ok, you might consider his Vulture story involving youth important if you love the 90s cartoon and want to know what comic is that based on
    Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post
    I really enjoyed the majority of Michelinie's run. Sure he had a flop or two here and there (what writer doesn't after so many years on a title?) but I just enjoy the heck out of reading his stuff. It was fun and a blast to read. I'd gladly buy another of his Spidey or Venom stories if they should ask him to come back. And for those of you thinking "Gosh that 'Round Robin' story sucks!", it was actually written by Al Milgrom. I can't tell you how many people think Michelinie did that story and hold him and his run to that particular story.
    I agree on liking his stories, and as messed up as Round Robin may be, I love it, it's a fun follow up to that great arc by Dixon & Velluto in Marc Spector: Moon Knight, and nice to see MK & Punisher ally themselves with Spidey again

I also loved his Acts of Vengeance/Captain Universe Spidey
    Oh yeah, that is fun
    I enjoyed his Dr.Doom/Black Fox two-parter, His Spider-Slayer story was fun
    Same goes for those
    and I thought he had a real talent for using classic villains and revitalizing them, too (Chameleon, Rhino, Scorpion, etc). And the guy created some really memorable characters; some more so than others, but most of them are still being used today in some capacity: Venom, Carnage, Chance, Solo, Cardiac, the Tri-Sentinel, etc.
    Most of those characters are barely seen

I might be alone in this, but I like the parents story by him

And color me surprised when someone leaves off Gerry Conway or Marv Wolfman. I loved the hell out of Conway's run (Clone Saga, Death of Gwen Stacy, Punisher, etc),
    I honestly found his work on Spectacular and Web far more enjoyable than his work on Amazing
    One observation I have about Conway, he can write good-fantastic stories with cramming less words than a lot of writers do, that is a thing I like about him a lot, and wish more writers would do that
    and from what I've read of Wolfman's run thus far (don't worry, I'll read 'em all sometime soon), it was fantastic (especially his Mysterio/Burglar story); plus, Wolfman gave us Black Cat. If that doesn't warrant him a top spot, I don't know what does.
    Wolfman's work is lots of fun, but if his work is to be recommended:
    • I would advise skipping issues 182-183 (if you don't like Rocket Racer or Big Wheel)
    • Issue 187 wasn't written by him and is very forgettable and useless for Spider-Man, might have some good for Cap, but ignorable as a Spidey story
    • 188 is not for you if you don't care for Jigsaw, though I enjoy it to the marrow of my bones
    • Issue 203 is a useless story with Dazzler & Lightmaster
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Spider-Man is like the Fantastic Four, they've had alot of great writers but nothing will be able to beat the original Stan Lee work.
    Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post

His Venom and Carnage stories were the best, and I don't think either character flourished as well under any other writer; I also loved his Acts of Vengeance/Captain Universe Spidey, his Sinister Six story was great, I enjoyed his Dr.Doom/Black Fox two-parter, His Spider-Slayer story was fun, and I thought he had a real talent for using classic villains and revitalizing them, too (Chameleon, Rhino, Scorpion, etc). And the guy created some really memorable characters; some more so than others, but most of them are still being used today in some capacity: Venom, Carnage, Chance, Solo, Cardiac, the Tri-Sentinel, etc.

In fact, I feel Michelinie's run was one of the last good classic runs on Amazing Spider-Man.
    Lol, David Michilinie did make my list, but I thought he wrote Round Robin and it was kind of one of those 'well, except for that story arc, I liked him' I'm not sure how long he wrote either, if he was still writing the series after 400, I'm excluding those issues too because I think the series went downhill in the late 300's. It's funny that Milgrom wrote the story I don't like, because I remember when making the list thinking about Bill Mantlo and going, 'yeah but those issues of Spectacular Spiderman, the 80-100s were pretty weak' and I looked it up and those were Milgrom, not Mantlo. JMS is someone on the other hand, who definately would have made my list if he'd ended it with #500. But the second half of his run, highlighted of course by Sins Past and the Other was so god awful that I had to leave it off. There's somebody who would have benefited from the Lee/Ditko rule. I would have voted yes for JMS/JRJR and no for JMS/Deodato.

Personaly, Round Robin is one of the oldest stories I remember reading, and I think it is a fun story.
    Michelinie left ASM before #400, I think in #388. DeMatteis was next, though his run in the book is his worst in Spider-Man. When he goes back to spectacular he writes some great stories again (However his issues are most of the times the best parts of the clone saga)
    And I will agree about JMS, I am saying this for quite a while, he should have ended his run in #500, or in the book of ezekiel. From there on everything wents downhill. Let's not forget The Other.
    As for Conway, have in mind that the guy was 19 when started writing Spider-Man!
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

My favorites writers are (Chronological order)

Stan Lee
    JMS
    Dan Slott

technicalities...I Love Zeb Wells on Avenging and Jason Aaron during the Astonishing Spider-man/Wolverine run he did.

My favorite artists (Chronological order)

Steve Ditko
    Todd McFarlane
    Humberto Ramos
    Chris Bachalo

I want to clarify that I currently think Todd McFarlane is not a great artists. When I look at my old issues now I think the art is abysmal... But at the time when I was a teenager collecting it...I never thought anyone would ever come close to his greatness. So I have nostalgic love for his art...enough for me to say I think he was one of the great Spidey artists.
    Last edited by Earmites; 05-10-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    The world was blessedly free of honest men and wonderfully full of people who believed they could tell the difference between an honest man and a crook. -Terry Pratchett

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Conway's first run on ASM was great, but better still his work on PPTSM and WOS in the 80s. "The Trial of Robbie Robertson," the Lobos Bros. Gang War, the return of Carrion, and the JJJ/Chameleon arc kept me on the edge of my seat. Criminally underrated IMO.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    If anyone is always forgotten, it's Jim Mooney, he didn't place as much impact as Ditko, Romita sr, Romita jr, MacFarlane & Bagley did, but his work is great and beautiful, it saddens me how forgotten he is
    Jim Mooney is one of my favorites as well, especially for his work on the horror-related titles of the 1970s.

Wolfman's work is lots of fun, but if his work is to be recommended:
    • I would advise skipping issues 182-183 (if you don't like Rocket Racer or Big Wheel)
    • Issue 187 wasn't written by him and is very forgettable and useless for Spider-Man, might have some good for Cap, but ignorable as a Spidey story
    • 188 is not for you if you don't care for Jigsaw, though I enjoy it to the marrow of my bones
    • Issue 203 is a useless story with Dazzler & Lightmaster
    I agree with all of that, and still put Wolfman's run up there in the top ten. Its funny, I will take a useless story by Wolfman over a useless story by almost any other writer.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Thread bump--3 more days to vote.

Lee, PAD, Conway, Mantlo and DeMatteis made up the top 5 of my favorite writers.