Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I wonder if Mark Bagley will make the list he's always forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Well, he could get votes from the Ultimate fans.

So....Artist I'm going to have a bit more of a problem with. And I'm going to delay this as long as possible to see how deep I can go. I can't vote on JMS, for isntance, cause I'm not there yet. But right now....

Writers....

1. Stan Lee
    2. Peter David
    3. J.M. Dematteis
    4. Tom DeFalco
    5. Roger Stern
    6. Gerry Conway
    7. Marv Wolfman
    8. David Michelinie
    9. Bill Mantlo
    10. Dan Slott

Artists....which I just don't feel that strongly on...

1. John Romita Sr.
    2. John Romita Jr.
    3. Mark Bagley
    4. Todd McFarlane
    5. Sal Buscema
    6. Steve Ditko

And then people. Art... I just don't rank art in the same way.

But I'm going to hold off until the 20th to actually vote. I'm in late '93 right now, which means I'll get to crack open that Untold Tales Omnibus soon enough, and maybe get through Jurgens stuff too. JMS is probably too far off, but you never know how things might turn out.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

That was very difficult. Even moreso than I was expecting. I voted for.

Writers:
    1. Stan Lee/Steve Ditko
    2. Stan Lee
    3. Paul Jenkins
    4. J.M Demmateis
    5. Roger Stern
    6. Brian Michael Bendis
    7. Marv Wolfman
    8. Dan Slott
    9. David Micheline
    10. Mark Millar

Artists:
    1. Steve Ditko
    2. John Romita Sr.
    3. Sal Buscema
    4. Mark Bagley
    5. Marcos Martin
    6. Mark Buckingham
    7. John Romita Jr.
    8. Todd McFarlane
    9. Ross Andru
    10. Scott Hanna

I am a huge fan of both Paul Jenkins and Mark Buckingham so they are probably both placed a little higher than they should be. Based on the overall quality of his stories Micheline should probably be replaced by Peter David, but he created two of Spider-Man's most iconic villains and probably deserves a spot in the top ten. I included Hanna because his inks have really enhanced the work of a couple of the artists in the top ten (Romita Jr. and Mark Bagley)

I just realised that I totally forgot J.M.S, which in itself suggests that he should not be on my list. On another day he might have crept in ahead of Mark Millar though.
    Last edited by remoteman; 05-07-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    http://joshoncomics.blogspot.com/

Latest Entry: Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/joshuatait

Also, reading it again, I find rule 6 to be......a problem. It takes an arbitrary and confusing position on something that I really don't see the evidence existing for one way or another to make a definitive decision. The Marvel way of making comics didn't disappear when Ditko left, and frankly, the writing style of the book didn't change that much when Ditko left either.Why does Ditko get a credit but Romita doesn't? Are we going to take the committee style plotting into effect? I mean, Romita is the one who suggested they kill someone that turned out to be Gwen, so does he get a writing credit on 121 now?

It's just an arbitrary "I really like Steve Ditko and want to give him a special place" position. And it's annoying, and takes another writer off the list, and someone's not going to pay attention and just vote Stan Lee and they'll mean everything but nope, not included. And it'd be one thing if like one run was considered controversial or mediocre and the other run was considered great, but they're not. Some people prefer Ditko, certainly, and yeah, some of the later issues of Stan's run weren't the best (Kingpin overuse), but that still had the great Goblin unmasking, the drug issues, the intro of the Kingpin, the best Mysterio story (IMO). It just means the final list is going to have two stan lee's in the top five, and someone else is going to get dropped off. Shame, eally.

In other news, what did Millar actually write for Spider-Man? Just that Marvel Knights series?
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

BANNED

Shouldn't this thread be named..."Who Are Spider-Man's Greatest writers?" rather than " Who Are Spider-Man's Greatest Creators?"

There's many writers, but only one creator...and Stan Lee is that creator.

Writers:
    1. Stan Lee
    2. Peter David
    3. Roger Stern
    4. Marv Wolfman
    5. JMS
    6. Paul Jenkins
    7. JM Dematties
    8. Kurt Busiek
    9. Dan Slott
    10. Gerry Conway

Artists:
    1. John Romita sr
    2. Mark Bagley
    3. Jim Mooney
    4. John Romita jr
    5. Luke Ross
    6. Ross Andru
    7. Sal Buscema
    8. John Buscema
    9. Al Milgrom
    10. Mark Buckengham
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be named..."Who Are Spider-Man's Greatest writers?" rather than " Who Are Spider-Man's Greatest Creators?"

There's many writers, but only one creator...and Stan Lee is that creator.
    Creators include artists, and some of us know what Steve Ditko did to the character saving him from being another generic heroic figure of the Silver Age in need to be saved by other writers
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Top 25 Artists?

I'm sure he'll make it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

My lists:

Writers

1. Roger Stern
    2. Steve Ditko/Stan Lee
    3. JM DeMatteis
    4. Tom DeFalco
    5. Gerry Conway
    6. David Michelinie
    7. Peter David
    8. Bill Mantlo
    9. Marv Wolfman
    10. Len Wein

Artists

1. John Romita, Sr.
    2. Steve Ditko
    3. Todd McFarlane
    4. John Romita, Jr.
    5. Sal Buscema
    6. Erik Larsen
    7. Marcos Martin
    8. Mark Bagley
    9. Ross Andru
    10. Ron Frenz
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Looking at your lists I see that some of you didn't put writers like Conway and Wolfman, instead you put JMS and Slot. I am not the guy who likes to say that older is better, though what I think is this. JMS is far from top 10, but anyway that's my opinion which I have repeatedly show here. Slot on the other hand, it's not that he is not top ten material, though I would first wait for his run to finish, or find some conclusion, I think he is in the beginning of his run right now and I would prefer to wait and see.
    My other comment is that I find it strange that so many people liked Michelinie. Sure he had some good elements, but mostly I get bored if I read too many issues of him. And McFarlane? I can however agree that he changed how Spider-Ma looked, but not always to the best, plus this may be unfair but I am thinking the majority of his work which now I can't look anymore.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaos View Post
    My other comment is that I find it strange that so many people liked Michelinie. Sure he had some good elements, but mostly I get bored if I read too many issues of him. And McFarlane? I can however agree that he changed how Spider-Ma looked, but not always to the best, plus this may be unfair but I am thinking the majority of his work which now I can't look anymore.
    Taken as a whole I don't think that Micheline's run is anything special, although it did begin very well. As I said in my above post though, I think that he deserves to be in there for his overall contribution to the mythos.

Personally I've been surprised at how many people have left off Stan Lee without Ditko. I placed his run with Ditko just above, but there is some classic stuff after Ditko left, even if he did flag at a couple of points and probably stayed on the title slightly too long.

Michelinie being on there isn't that surprising when you consider that there are only really about fifteen to twenty contenders. To make the list, you don't even really have to be the best Spider-Man writer ever, you just have to be in the top half. And Michelinie, while I know lots of people don't like him, was on there for so long that he did do some really great stuff that I think put him in the top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman View Post
    Taken as a whole I don't think that Micheline's run is anything special, although it did begin very well. As I said in my above post though, I think that he deserves to be in there for his overall contribution to the mythos.

Personally I've been surprised at how many people have left off Stan Lee without Ditko. I placed his run with Ditko just above, but there is some classic stuff after Ditko left, even if he did flag at a couple of points and probably stayed on the title slightly too long.
    Uhhh, dude. There is one person who did what you're talking about. =p Two if you count David's partial list. And there are two that did the other way, three if you count me, but I suspect they have done the same thing as me and just didn't read the rules clearly enough at first. =\

I think Michelinie is sure a major writer, as is JMS, though that does not make them "greatest". IT's a little bit difficult to judge though. For example I liked John Buchema's work on Spider-Man, though his run lasted for 4 - 5 issues, you can't call it a "run". And he is not "important", in the way McFarlane was. But I believe Buchema was a better artist than Tod, though what are we judging, the pretty pictures, the importance, or both?
    (Personally I tryed to do both).
    An other thing I see is that some people did not forget Jenkins, even though that huge dive he made in quality from frontline and forth.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Uhhh, dude. There is one person who did what you're talking about. =p Two if you count David's partial list. And there are two that did the other way, three if you count me, but I suspect they have done the same thing as me and just didn't read the rules clearly enough at first. =\
    I was talking about people on other forums as well. I suppose you could be right that they didn't read the rules clearly enough.