Default Question: Thor's hammer Mjölnir

Just watched The Avengers for a second time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Something I noted during my first viewing and confirmed with the second was about Thor's hammer, Mjölnir. From what I know about it in the comics...and from what was established in the Thor movie...it's a mythical artifact. It's powerful and enchanted such that only those who are worthy can lift it up.

I recall it being used to hold villains and opponents on the ground and immobile just by placing it on their chest.

In the Thor movie and in The Avengers, it's shown to have landed resolutely in a crater of varying sizes, immoveable once released from Thor's grasp.

So is my minor quibble--that Mjölnir bounced and tumbled on the ground in a few of the battle scenes--over zealous fanboy-ness or understandable?

Quote Originally Posted by jack-be-nimble View Post
    So is my minor quibble--that Mjölnir bounced and tumbled on the ground in a few of the battle scenes--over zealous fanboy-ness or understandable?
    It's my understanding that what prevents others from lifting the hammer is not its massive weight -- though it probably is heavy -- but the enchantment placed on it. It must be able to skip or bounce like any object of physics since we routinely see him throwing it at enemies and then it bounces back and returns to his hand.

So, my No-Prize entry on this one.... *drumroll please* ... is that it behaves like any other physical hammer would when neither Thor nor anyone else is directly trying to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    It's my understanding that what prevents others from lifting the hammer is not its massive weight -- though it probably is heavy -- but the enchantment placed on it. It must be able to skip or bounce like any object of physics since we routinely see him throwing it at enemies and then it bounces back and returns to his hand.

So, my No-Prize entry on this one.... *drumroll please* ... is that it behaves like any other physical hammer would when neither Thor nor anyone else is directly trying to control it.
    Thanks, Chariset. I can live with that.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Mjolnir

Odin, chief of the Norse gods, ordered the dwarfs to forge Mjolnir. The blacksmiths Eitri, Brok, and Buri used the core of a star as the mold. In the process the star exploded and almost took Midgard (Earth) with it; that event may explain the extinction of the dinosaurs, about 65 million years ago. Although powerful in and of itself, the hammer also received several potent spells from Odin, who slew the frost giant Laufey with it. Much later, Mjolnir was bequeathed to Thor, after he proved himself worthy through several trials.

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

Yea, lifting it has nothing to do with physical strength. If it did then Hulk would've lifted it as easily as Thor does.

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post

And of course, if you could create an adamantium penny that wouldn't melt on re-entry, it would leave a massive crater too when dropped from orbit.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."