Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk_Is View Post
    Well, maybe Cyclops could have displayed some level of competence instead of frothing at the mouth. First he dips out on the Avengers mid-struggle and now he's beaming everybody on sight and destroying government property. Maybe the the other mutants on the team could have been better at talking it through with the government/Avengers, but Cyclops is a man who has all but lost his leadership skills. If Earth weathers this storm, Cyclops (and Wolverine) will need to answer for their insolence as heroes.
    First of all, they didn't leave the fight to go out on a picnic. Do you know what UNIT is? He's by far the most dangerous of all of those escapees, and Brand told him this. They were rescuing their teammate from a guy designed to end planets. Second, Cap acted just as rash and incompetent as Scott. He came to (what may or may not be) another nation, at least a territory commanded by someone else, and demanded one of their citizens, who also happened to be a member of his family. He essentially brought an army to Utopia and said "gimme", resorting to schoolyard bully tactics. Cap's doing it because it's what he thinks is right. Well, guess what? So is Scott. And thirdly: Insolence? Even if Utopia isn't a separate nation, I don't think Scott answers to Cap.

In my opinion, Rogers has been out of character, and out of his element, ever since he got the job of head of national security, or SHIELD or whatever. Crap like condoning torture, starting wars, and working for the government is not what I want to see Cap doing. I don't want Cap to represent the US government. I want him to represent the US ideals. Not the president, or congress. It should be freedom, and liberty, and all that jazz. You have guys, like Fury and now Daisy, to do the security, espionage, government crap. Let Cap do what he does best, which is being America's superhero.

He's only acting human under the circumstances. A big firebird is set to destroy Earth. He doesn't exactly have the time to shake hands. He admitted as much during Fear Itself because world-ending stuff is out of his element - especially when that stuff is happening right before his very eyes. The mutants are being uncooperative. Cap sees impending doom for the entire human race. Mutants are a minority and think they know better. AvX is happening just as it should.
    That whole "out of his element" thing is just a cheap plot device that writers use to make their stories seem "heavier." Truth is, of all the heroes in the Marvel Universe, Cap would be the last to feel out of his element. He's the one who keeps his cool under fire, and keeps everyone else in line. Even though Brubaker wrote this one, I don't buy it. Cap doesn't lose his head, and he doesn't sucker punch.

I still wonder if there's some sort of outside influence going on here. Wanda made everyone crazy when she lost it... maybe Hope is doing the same thing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaric Rivad View Post
    That whole "out of his element" thing is just a cheap plot device that writers use to make their stories seem "heavier." Truth is, of all the heroes in the Marvel Universe, Cap would be the last to feel out of his element. He's the one who keeps his cool under fire, and keeps everyone else in line. Even though Brubaker wrote this one, I don't buy it. Cap doesn't lose his head, and he doesn't sucker punch.

I still wonder if there's some sort of outside influence going on here. Wanda made everyone crazy when she lost it... maybe Hope is doing the same thing now.
    I'll bet it's Wanda again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lascoden View Post
    In my opinion, Rogers has been out of character, and out of his element, ever since he got the job of head of national security, or SHIELD or whatever. Crap like condoning torture, starting wars, and working for the government is not what I want to see Cap doing. I don't want Cap to represent the US government. I want him to represent the US ideals. Not the president, or congress. It should be freedom, and liberty, and all that jazz. You have guys, like Fury and now Daisy, to do the security, espionage, government crap. Let Cap do what he does best, which is being America's superhero.
    Totally agree. Cap has always trusted his own values first and foremost. Whenever I see him "serving at the pleasure" of whomever is in charge at the time, I always grit my teeth.

Of all people, Cap would understand the danger of "just following orders."

Quote Originally Posted by Aaric Rivad View Post
    Totally agree. Cap has always trusted his own values first and foremost. Whenever I see him "serving at the pleasure" of whomever is in charge at the time, I always grit my teeth.

Of all people, Cap would understand the danger of "just following orders."
    Also, it makes him more accessible to a wider audience. When he represents the government, he represents those in charge, whether it is Bush or Obama. Ideals are more fluid. As long as someone agrees with freedom, liberty, democracy, and equality, they can follow Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    He's an undetectable SKRULL isn't he
    I already posted that! OMG YOU'RE A SKRULL

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by evilheroics View Post
    Is it just me or in AvX, has Cap been acting out of character? He just seems to me overally aggressive, even going to far as to that scene with Wolverine. He's always seemed like a guy who would think his actions through, never be hotheaded and be true to who he is. I laughed when I read Tony Stark trying to calm him down.
    Captain America [Steve Rogers] has ALWAYS been a self-righteous d*ck who honestly believes because HE thinks it's right (or a good idea), therefore it must be law. Trying to split up the Runaways. Never giving the Thunderbolts a chance, despite Hawkeye's endorsement because "Saintly Steve" wasn't the one to push giving these reformed villains a fair chance (MAJOR hypocrite, considering the "Kooky Quartet"). He instigates a Civil War because HE doesn't like the law; despite always preaching "that's the law" (Runaways, again). So now showing up on sovereign territory to kidnap a child because she MIGHT be the new Phoenix host (despite showing outrage when Genocide Wielder Wanda was going to be put on trial for ACTUALLY committing crimes); destroy the home of mutants and putting the few remains X-kids in a concentration camp; while sending his hoodlums to round up the rest? Yeah... this is CLASSIC Steve Rogers. Sad, but true.

Oh... and under Cap, not a single gay male hero has EVER been on one of his teams... nuff said.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    I already posted that! OMG YOU'RE A SKRULL
    Well, Cap is a Skrull in the Avengers cartoon. I guess, strange way of brand synergy?

/shrugs/

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Here's the thing. Many Marvel characters have been written more or less out of character for a long time now. Since it's been so long, well it's kind of become in character for them now. Cap, Iron Man, Cyclops etc. are douches now, it's canon. And it has been for quite awhile.

And yeah it does suck if you're an older fan who remembers when they weren't like this...but that cat is long out of the bag.

Not being a total douche is now officially out of character for many Marvel heroes.
    I agree with this thinking. A lot of characters who used to be all about planning and thinking through their options have become flighty and quick to make decisions.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Well, maybe Cyclops could have displayed some level of competence instead of frothing at the mouth. First he dips out on the Avengers mid-struggle and now he's beaming everybody on sight and destroying government property. Maybe the the other mutants on the team could have been better at talking it through with the government/Avengers, but Cyclops is a man who has all but lost his leadership skills. If Earth weathers this storm, Cyclops (and Wolverine) will need to answer for their insolence as heroes.
    Cyke shoud worry about the property of peolewho are attacking his home?

And Cap wanted the girl, he did not ask he demanded, and assumed that he was in charge.

Cap was the one who was insolent and full of Hubris here,
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh... and under Cap, not a single gay male hero has EVER been on one of his teams... nuff said.
    Don't know about serving under him, but Cap did serve with Living Lightning in OGS and during Kang Dynasty.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    everyone's written out of character for these events
    Quoted in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by DCfan101 View Post
    Hey some people see AvX as Civil War 2.0. There sure are similarities, especially with the whole heroes vs heroes stuff. So it sure is possible that Marvel could be doing another variation of Secret Invasion. I'm sure the Skrulls are pissed about there loss in secret invasion.

Or maybe some other race of shapeshifters will infiltrate earth. Maybe marvel is putting clues into AvX of a new invasion.
    Another Secret Invasion? Lol what's next Siege 2? lol

Yes I agree I think his character will be better off once he's no longer involved with the head job and leave it to the likes of Fury, Daisy or whoever.

I'll bet it's Wanda again.
    I'd rather it was her ''redemption'' story to be honest but I wouldn't be totally surprised if you're right Lascoden just hope you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Becasue it would not make enough diffence to matter in the least, and would be likly to result in a very pissed of Phoenix powered Hope returning to Earth. Perhaps a pissed off DP hope. Would you really want to deal with a teenage girl you just tried to murder with the power of the PF? Especially one raised in the Hard school she was raised in?
    If Hope was half as smart as she thinks she is, SHE would be the one to say "Ya know what guys, maybe I should be off-planet when the Phoenix arrives, just in case it/I destroy the Earth".

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    What if the PF comes to Earth and she is not here? She is perhaps the best defense against the PF.
    If it is indeed coming for HER (and not Earth), it should be able to find her wherever she is; be that on Utopia, or stuck in the giant space penis...

Operation: Rebirth Reject Taiso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    everyone's written out of character for these events
    Best in thread.

Shut it down, mods. The discussion's over.