Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Default Sullivan's Sluggers - Andrew Smith & Stokoe

"Harvey Award-winning graphic novel author MARK ANDREW SMITH joins forces with Eisner Award-nominated illustrator JAMES STOKOE for a powerful collaboration. When Sullivan's bedraggled, minor league sluggers accept an invitation to play an out-of-town game, they have no idea their small-town destination is cursed. When the sun goes down after the 7th inning stretch, the dysfunctional teammates find themselves fighting for their lives against a town crawling with flesh eating monsters. See what happens when America's favorite pastime becomes one team's nightmare."

HOLY CRAP! THIS SOUNDS AND LOOKS AMAZING!
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Won't believe it till it actually comes out. This was originally solicited 2 years ago but it took Stokoe until just recently to actually finish it.

Now I'll pre-order it again when its re-solicited (which I hope it will be) but I'll still believe it exists when its actually in my hands.

Huh, never knew that. I just recently found out about this and what you said gave me a bit of dread.
    The 9th Blog

I enjoy Stokoe's Orc Stain when it comes out, but a baseball team vs. zombies really doesn't seem all that interesting to me. Even with the massive amounts of satire I'm sure the book will contain.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Looks like a Kickstarter project starting soon...

http://markandrewsmith.tumblr.com/po...y-17th-want-to

Sullivan’s Sluggers the baseball horror graphic novel I’ve been working on for four years with James Stokoe (Orc Stain) is going to be on sale as a 200 page Hardcover for Kickstarter on the 17th of May.
    Here are some older interviews...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=27056

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sull...ew-100517.html
    Last edited by Jeff Bohn; 05-08-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Now they need to go through Kickstarter? What Image doesn't think it'll make money on its own so they want Kickstarter to help fund it?

I understand and respect Kickstarter and know these guys need the funds to publish this stuff the way they want, but you know I can't afford to pay the kind of money they ask for in donations to just probably get the book and when (cause I'm sure they will) get the money they're asking for, there's still no answer that the book will then be solicited in any kind of wide format so I could even get the book later via DCBS, Diamond, Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EMeadow View Post
    Now they need to go through Kickstarter? What Image doesn't think it'll make money on its own so they want Kickstarter to help fund it?

All of Image's titles are either self-published or part of a smaller sub-publisher like Top Cow. They don't pay creators in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    All of Image's titles are either self-published or part of a smaller sub-publisher like Top Cow. They don't pay creators in advance.
    I don't mean in that sense. I'm just looking at a project announced and solicited now for the last two years, seeing unfortunately that enough interest/pre-orders weren't able to be had so the book could just come out, (though wondering how much the delays this book has gone through also didn't help that situation) and now seeing while they need their fans help in getting the book out, it now turns into a possibility that a lot of fans will still be shut out from getting the book because their financial situation can't let them donate the price needed possibly to just get the book and therefore they're out of luck again.

And you've got more creators wanting to use this method to bypass Diamond so they can properly receive more of the potential profit. Which I completely understand but:

You don't go through Diamond, you're really not going to get in a lot of comic stores. The retailers really as of yet, don't seem eager to order yet directly from the creators, or the effective system to do so hasn't been created yet.

And if however you do end up publishing it doesn't get you into B&N or other bookstores, you've cut off another way to get a good chunk of fans to see/buy the book.

USA today interview (per the article, art is finished) ...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...vel/55037450/1

Kickstarter (already funded 300%+ in a day)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-graphic-novel

Quote Originally Posted by EMeadow View Post
    I don't mean in that sense. I'm just looking at a project announced and solicited now for the last two years, seeing unfortunately that enough interest/pre-orders weren't able to be had so the book could just come out, (though wondering how much the delays this book has gone through also didn't help that situation) and now seeing while they need their fans help in getting the book out, it now turns into a possibility that a lot of fans will still be shut out from getting the book because their financial situation can't let them donate the price needed possibly to just get the book and therefore they're out of luck again.
    Did you read the Kickstarter info? 200 pages in a hardcover. For $10 you can get a PDF of the book. For $30 you get the book and a few goodies. Which is less than I would expect to pay for a book that size at my LCS. Doesn't sound like they are milking any extra money out of fans.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Did you read the Kickstarter info? 200 pages in a hardcover. For $10 you can get a PDF of the book. For $30 you get the book and a few goodies. Which is less than I would expect to pay for a book that size at my LCS. Doesn't sound like they are milking any extra money out of fans.
    Yes and I wrote that before the info went up. It did, you're right that it's a good deal cause I chose to back it myself.

It helped that Sullivan has since said it may be another year (if at all) the book would come out in softcover or maybe even singles through Image.

But in regards to my statement on prices and retailers, that was also based off of what Jenkins & Ramos are asking for the Fairy Quest HC, which I don't see any value in, at that price.

Check out this awesome interview by my good friend

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/...vans-sluggers/
    The 9th Blog

Definitely looking forward to this. Pledged to get the Hardcover. I love James' art and Mark (Mark Andrew Smith, not Andrew Smith) is a super cool guy I've had the pleasure of dealing with, making a button ad for the book. I am not a baseball fan, but this isn't really a baseball book- it just happens to feature baseball in the setup of the plot.

Mark storytimed the first 36 pages of the book on /co/ and it really is excellent.

The first part of this series is now on Comixology.

Kind of curious, they wanted $6,000 and raised almost $100,000. I see they added new rewards. Have they said what they're going to do with any left over money?
    Last edited by DonC; 06-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Most of that is going to Kick and Amazon and the rest is going to the new rewards they added and making sure they add more books for production.

This is guessing on my part
    The 9th Blog