Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batman New 52

Default Batman New 52

So volume 1 with issues 1-7 are about to be collected.

Then there is a major event happening spanning different series?

So does issue 8 continue this story event? And do I need to read the other series' to continue it as well?

I don't understand Night of the Owls and how it'll work.

Yes, 8 and on continues the story up unit 11

You don't have to read the other Night of Owls story, they're all self contained to their own book.

Issues 1-7 contain the first act of the story and the build-up to the Night Of The Owls event, which happens simultaneously with issues 8 & 9, and then the story arc will wrap up in the man Batman book issues 10-11.

We've been assured by the writers that you don't need to read any of the other Bat-books to understand the story. Take that with a grain of salt obviously.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Issues 1-7 contain the first act of the story and the build-up to the Night Of The Owls event, which happens simultaneously with issues 8 & 9, and then the story arc will wrap up in the man Batman book issues 10-11.

We've been assured by the writers that you don't need to read any of the other Bat-books to understand the story. Take that with a grain of salt obviously.
    Since Batman won't be featured prominently in any of the other books in the crossover, it's easy to say that you don't have to follow them if you just want Batman. If you want all 360 degrees of the story then buy the tie-ins. Detective featured Jeremiah Arkham with a Batman cameo. Dark Knight will feature a Talon with a Red Robin appearance. Batman and Robin will feature Damian vs a Talon. The big revelations will take place in Batman. However, you'll get a Gotham history lesson through the eyes of the Talons in the tie-ins.

How many issues total will the whole thing be? Will it be collected in a single volume or is it too big for that?

No word so far on how this is going to be collected.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

God I hope it will be, though. I'd be willing to buy all the Night of Owls stuff collected, but I wouldn't buy all the second volume collections of the titles it crosses through.

I was trying to figure out how this would fit in the next volume. Issues 1-7 are in volume 1. 8-11 didn't seem like enough material for volume 2 by themselves. Then I remembered the Batman Annual, which is also an Owls story. I bet volume 2 will collect 8-11 and the Annual; that should be enough material.

I suppose they could do a collection of the tie-in stories, but it would probably be better if they were just placed in their respective book collections.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I was trying to figure out how this would fit in the next volume. Issues 1-7 are in volume 1. 8-11 didn't seem like enough material for volume 2 by themselves. Then I remembered the Batman Annual, which is also an Owls story. I bet volume 2 will collect 8-11 and the Annual; that should be enough material.

I suppose they could do a collection of the tie-in stories, but it would probably be better if they were just placed in their respective book collections.
    See, to me it'd make sense to do a Night of the Owls tie-in collection which includes all but the Batman issues, since the Batman issues aren't really crossing over with anything, it's their main story in the first place. And yeah, I'm hoping the Batman Annual is collected in the second collection, as I really think collected versions are more...preserved for posterity than single issues typically are.

I'm wondering if they might also do a separate tpb of all the tie-ins for people who don't regularly buy those books.

By the way, has there been any announcement of a tpb for the recent Huntress series?

Quote Originally Posted by TZDEKA View Post
    See, to me it'd make sense to do a Night of the Owls tie-in collection which includes all but the Batman issues,
    I was just thinking that, if that meant omitting them from the collections of their own titles
    (as it typically has in the past), that might disrupt the continuity in their own title collections.
    Jim Zimmerman

I was just thinking that, if that meant omitting them from the collections of their own titles
    (as it typically has in the past), that might disrupt the continuity in their own title collections.
    It doesn't necessarily need to be in place of including them in their own collections as well, I'm just saying it'd be nice to have them in a collected version for those who don't buy the titles in their own collections but want all of the Night of the Owls stuff.

They could do it both ways. As part of the normal title collections, and as a separate Night of the Owls trade tie-in. Might even make more sense to do it that way for Batman: The Dark Knight since the tie-in is being handled by a fill-in writer.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Plus, there's back-ups now. Gotta factor those in, too.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Plus, there's back-ups now. Gotta factor those in, too.
    Good point. That should definitely bring it up to par (page-wise) with the first volume.
    Jim Zimmerman