Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Where would the first brick be laid in a DC Movieverse?

The Marvel Movieverse that culminated in THE AVENGERS was first laid down four years ago in IRON MAN, and has been built brick by brick in the subsequent IRON MAN II, THOR, and CAPTAIN AMERICA movies.

If DC were to follow suit and begin building the foundations of a DC Movieverse, where should it start? Should it start in a BATMAN movie? In a SUPERMAN movie? Or perhaps in a GL or FLASH movie? What form would it take?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Personally I think they should start fresh with Flash or Aquaman or some other character that hasn't gotten the spotlight. Then maybe go bacck and do a heavy hitter like Supes/Bats. Guess we'll just have to see how this new Superman movie turns out though.
    I knew I'd bury you one day, you sanctimonious, self-righteous pain! -- Lex Luthor

Well, the next DC film, aside from TDKR, will be Man of Steel, which would be a great start. After that, I believe Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman films have all been confirmed in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    Personally I think they should start fresh with Flash or Aquaman or some other character that hasn't gotten the spotlight. Then maybe go bacck and do a heavy hitter like Supes/Bats. Guess we'll just have to see how this new Superman movie turns out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
    Well, the next DC film, aside from TDKR, will be Man of Steel, which would be a great start. After that, I believe Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman films have all been confirmed in the works.
    How would DC/Warner begin hooking the properties up, though? With IRON MAN, Marvel already began building connections to the other Avengers, but how would a DC Movieverse movie start connecting their characters together? Thus far, a few throwaway lines in BATMAN AND ROBIN (ugh) and SUPERMAN RETURNS aside, it doesn't even seem that the movie versions of Superman and Batman exist in the same universe.

If DC were to follow Marvel's models, in one of their solo hero movies, we'd begin seeing hints and clues about the menace that will eventually bring the heroes together as the Justice League.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 05-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.

phase (n.):

Get it right, people.

Start with one really good move and put a throwaway line in it somewhere. Thats what Marvel did with Iron Man. You had a good movie and then brought up the Avengers initiative as a post credit throwaway. If the movie sucks it won't come to fruition anyways. And the biggest problem people had with Iron Man 2 was that the plot was hampered by too much Avengers set up. Just do good movies and as the train gets going sprinkle a little more throwaway connections that you can use later on. Once a JL film s definite then use the last movie or so to set up the plot a bit.

As for where to start. Superman. He's easy to get right and he's going to be the number 1 guy no matter what. Notice how Iron Man was the defacto lead? Superman's going to be that regardless.

Honestly it should have been Amanda Waller in GL.

If DC is smart than Man of Steel will be the starting block.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Honestly it should have been Amanda Waller in GL.

If DC is smart than Man of Steel will be the starting block.
    I wouldn't use Amanda Waller because it'd be too obvious a copy/clone of Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. from Marvel's films.

DC needs to carve out a separate identity.

If I were to do it, each of the new heroes' individual films (most likely Superman's, but also possibly the Flash's) would end with the hero having conquered the main menace of his/her film, looking towards the horizon in horror as a white wall of antimatter begins dissolving the world.

Yes, I think the "common menace" that brings the Justice League together should not be Darkseid (because Marvel seems intent on using the similar Thanos for that purpose), but the Anti-Monitor. It wouldn't be COIE, necessarily, but basically an Anti-Monitor-led Crisis.

phase (n.):

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    As for where to start. Superman. He's easy to get right and he's going to be the number 1 guy no matter what. Notice how Iron Man was the defacto lead? Superman's going to be that regardless.
    Yeah I'd say start with Superman since A) it's a fresh start and B) it's the best movie to start the brick work.

You can then maybe even integrate the GL stuff and Batman/Wonder Woman/Flash later

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    How would DC/Warner begin hooking the properties up, though? With IRON MAN, Marvel already began building connections to the other Avengers, but how would a DC Movieverse movie start connecting their characters together? Thus far, a few throwaway lines in BATMAN AND ROBIN (ugh) and SUPERMAN RETURNS aside, it doesn't even seem that the movie versions of Superman and Batman exist in the same universe.

If DC were to follow Marvel's models, in one of their solo hero movies, we'd begin seeing hints and clues about the menace that will eventually bring the heroes together as the Justice League.

As someone said, it should have been with Amanda Waller in GL, but that ship may as well have sailed already. Also, let`s face, Amanda can only go so far as a Nick Fury analogue, and I really don`t see her as that character.

If they want to push things a little faster and make some connections with the comics being published right now, I`d say that MOS would be the ideal, timing-wise, and that the connective character should be Steve Trevor.

Yes, really. So far, Steve Trevor is the one thing Geoff Johns did (more than) right in JL comic. Not only that, but if he proves popular enough, he could be fleshed out as a character in an eventual Wonder Woman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    It won't be Martian Manhunter. Moving him out of the JLA and replacing him with Cyborg was no accident. As I and others have noted here, the New 52 Justice League is the template for whatever ultimate Justice League movie WB does. I'd bet anything that is going to be the case.
    Though I agree completely with the reasons Cyborg was put in the JLA, that woukld have be treated very carefully. Cyborg`s origin wouldn`t fit convincingly in a2 to 3 hour flick about at least six other heroes (I mean, God, his "plug and play" origin is kind of ridiculous even in he comic), and I don`t think that he could sustain a solo movie before a "Justice League" one to take that out of the way, so they better do it right (if and when they do it) so Cyborg doesn`t either ruin the movie or becomes the weakest link (which I really, really hope it doesn`t happen).

And maybe they should think about using John as GL... just saying.

The best way to introduce and integrate Cyborg into a possible Justice League movie would be the first arc from the Nu52 JL. Cyborg simply isn't a widely enough known character to carry an introductory/origin movie, and to be honest, isn't interesting enough to warrant an entire film as well. If you followed the first arc, you'd have the origin of Cyborg walking hand-in-hand with the formation of the Justice League AND a villain in Darkseid -- which, the culmination of the entire story would be Cyborg basically saving the day. It would cement him into the minds of the movie-going audience much better than an entire sole movie would, because we would be taking the journey with him, all while alongside the other established heroes. He would have the right amount of screen time to make him cool, but not overdone and saturated.

The first blocks to building towards a Justice League movie could simply be a credit scene in Man of Steel. Snyder apparently doesn't want it to connect to anything else, but with the success of the Avengers they could go film a little 30 second scene to be inserted. It could be something simple, like the revelation of a Mother Box, or it could be Hal Jordan returning from Oa and suddenly flying alongside Superman, "Hey, who are you?" and that'd be enough to keep the momentum at least rolling in the right direction. I mean, hell, the Incredible Hulk add-on scene was barely anything at all, same with Iron Man 2. It gave the notion of a bigger universe, and that's all we need.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iRacingRyan View Post
    If you followed the first arc, you'd have the origin of Cyborg walking hand-in-hand with the formation of the Justice League AND a villain in Darkseid -- which, the culmination of the entire story would be Cyborg basically saving the day.
    You also have the most advanced and impossible to replicate man-machine fusion achieved in about 15 minutes with the aid of a plug play armor that was already conveniently sitting there. Almost like an USB device. It wouldn`t fly...

To link DC movies together to lead up to a JL movie..I'd do the same thing they did with the Avengers..except reverse. Instead of someone bringing the heroes together, have Brainiac build his team.

So in order..

1st Movie: Superman - Lex as villain, Brainiac + Lex in after-credits.
    2nd Movie: Flash - Zoom as villain, Lex + Zoom in after-credits.
    3rd Movie: Wonder Woman - Cheetah as villain, Lex + Zoom + Cheetah in after-credits.
    4th Movie: Batman - Go for a more detective feel to it, Batman finds out about someone bringing villains together, takes down several of his lesser rogues finding more info. Big reveal of Injustice League in after-credits.
    5th Movie: Justice League.
    Ame-Comi, Aquaman, Batman, Batwoman, Blue Beetle, I, Vampire, JL, JLD, JLI, Nightwing, Red Hood, Superboy, Supergirl, Teen Titans, Scarlet Spider, Ultimate Spider-Man, X-Factor, X-Men:Legacy.

I think DC should start with the most accessible hero who can combine heroism with personality, as Marvel did. Billionaire genius playboy with toys vs Norse god vs WW2 soldier on roids vs scientist who turns rage into green strength.

In many ways, Cyborg could be that ... he's basically a younger six million dollar man. Just don't cast box office poison as your lead. Flash would be my first choice, though, with JLU Wally's personality.

setting up a DC movie verse would be really difficult as they're primary cast would be a lot larger than the current Avengers meaning we would need at least 2 or even 3 movies per year if we wanted them all to get trilogies or introduces new members or branch out to the side kicks and teen titans.

Here's what my plan starting from 2013-2028 (15 Years) if we got 2 movies a year (justcie League movies would have the year to itself. and stuck to the primary 6.
    2013 - Man of Steel
    2014 - Wonder Woman / The Flash
    2015 - Aquaman / Green Lantern 2 or Reboot 1 using Kyle Rayner
    2016 - Man of Steel 2 / Batman Reboot
    2017 - Justice League (The 6 villains from the previous movies come together under Ra's Al Ghul, Lex Luthor or Vandal Savage to form the Injustice League also introduces the 7th member)
    2018 - Wonder Woman 2 / The Flash 2 (Introduce Kid Flash & Wonder Girl)
    2019 - Aquaman 2 / Batman 2 (Introduce Robin & Aqualad)
    2020 - Man of Steel 3 / Green Arrow (Introduces Supergirl & Speedy)
    2021 - Teen Titans / Green Lantern 3 or Reboot 2
    2022 - Justice League 2
    2023 - Wonder Woman 3 / The Flash 3
    2024 - Aquaman 3 / Batman 3 (The above 4 movies would introduce the secondary side kicks like Batgirl)
    2025 - Man of Steel 4 / Green Lantern 4 or Reboot 3
    2026 - Teen Titans 2 / The 7th member finally gets their own Movie Martian Manhunter or Cyborg or Green Arrow 2
    2027 - Justice League 3

so as you see some movies could end up being 4+ years apart and the actors would age so you'd have to James bond them
    Would that type of schedule suit you all or woul 3 movies a year be better and could they accomplish that?

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Superman would have to be the choice, since the next movie after that is either the Batman reboot or the GL sequel; there's nothing stopping from having a Cyborg movie in the meantime...(or a Wonder Woman, Aquaman...) Flash has already been a TV series, it would be easiest to start here as well...

Besides as long as Ryan Reynolds is GL, every girl I know will see the sequel...
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.