Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

I hope Nolan leaves all superhero movies alone. As much as I love batman the stuff the his brain comes up with it and turns into movies is amazing. He's such a good film maker that I don't want him stuck in another franchise. It'd just be holding him back.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

The movie was excellent. Knew Joss would do a good job, but he exceeded my expectations. And yes, I'm sure WB is sick to their stomachs.

This is quite an accomplishment. Marvel, Disney, Joss Whedon, and the actors should be very proud. Rarely does a movie take 5 years to establish just the right amount of continuity and hype. In the end, the Avengers made it work and made it work spectacularly. This movie deserves the records it gains. It deserves all the acclaim it gets. It is definitely a new standard for comic book movies and one I don't see being matched, at least until Avengers 2 comes out.

Now the bar has been raised for DC. For years, they've been able to seize the top spots thanks largely to Batman. But they can't rely on the Dark Knight for much longer, especially with Nolan finishing his trilogy soon. While I have hopes for the Superman reboot, DC is going to need much more than Superman and Batman movies to measure up to what Marvel has done. I hope they rise to the challenge because that means better movies all around.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Credit has to go to kevin Feige , the head of marvel studios who had his vision to connect all the marvel movies together after they start producing their own movies.

BANNED

Yea Feige deserves a lot of credit. What he has done is miraculous.

Just think, when Marvel started making it's own movies one flop could have killed them. They had to borrow money to make Iron Man and TIH. This whole thing was a giant risk that could have even effected Marvel as a whole.

But hoo boy has it payed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom_basher View Post
    serenity was NOT boring, i seriously get the gist that you are are a whedon hater. and in your mind the only way you can justify liking the avengers is saying its not whedon like. which btw is wrong, this movie had alot of whedon trademarks.
    Easy. The pacing of Serenity was molasses-like compared to Avengers. The only thing I got out of the movie was eye candy in the form of the crew babes. I'm as much a Whedon "hater" as you are an apologist. Wait, are you?

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Great news!! And good for us comic book fans....more movies to come! And hopefully these movies will attract more readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    As a dyed in the wool Marvel zombie I must say I am expierencing extreme schadenfreude, DC better hope Anne Hathway drops dead a week before Dark Knight comes out and that still might not do it.

Particularly satisying as when I went to see the Avengers preimier the guy next to me was wearing a JLA shirt and Green Latern belt buckle (eye-roll), I was wearing a SHIELD shirt and eye patch (hell yeah). He was all smug before the movie started and then just kind of slumped out of the theater totally defeated after the movie was over. Oh well, he can go home and watch Green Latern again...HA HA!

I said "see you at the Justice League movie"
    There is so much about this story that just reeks of either being completely untrue or just a pair of goons.

1. Why would the guy be disappointed the movie wasn't terrible? Movies are expensive and I can't imagine a guy (Despite how cynical comic book fans are) paying $10-15 and dealing with opening weekend crowds for a movie he expects to be bad rather than reading spoilers and saying it was a waste of time like every other comic book nerd on the planet.

2. I find a great deal of irony in a dude rolling his eyes at someone wearing a GL belt buckle while wearing a freakin' eye patch to a movie. Unless you are legit missing an eye, this is remarkably stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    I agree. Some of the top grossing movies of all time happened in places that don't or no longer exist. I don't go to the theater thinking: "wow, if it were set in Boston, I'm sure everyone else in my family would have gone and seen it." That's just silly.
    To be fair, that's not an entirely uncommon line of thought. Sticking with your example, anedotally, there are movies that play better if they're about a general area. Take Boondock Saints, critically panned and really not well known outside of the area, relatively popular in the metro Boston area because it was about Boston from a time when really nobody was making films about Boston.

And I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have given Fringe more than a couple of episodes had it not been set in Boston considering how bland the first ten episodes were.

It'd be absolutely bizarre to see Reynolds' GL in a Chris Nolan movie. He just doesn't have the sensibility. The thing with Marvel's Avengers franchise (i.e. Thor, IM, Cap) is that they had very similar tones that could sort of get locked together. Can you imagine the over-CGI'd GL disaster aesthetic merging with Nolan's minimalist and austere film-making (even Nolan's "splashy" set pieces are notably severe)?
    I could see it if Chris Pine had gotten the role of Hal Jordan. The first thing I thought leaving Star Trek was that Pine would've made a text book perfect Hal Jordan (Hell, his Kirk basically was Hal Jordan).

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    just eluding to the death of Heath Ledger and his amazing performance as the Joker (really the only good part of that movie).
    Okay, I'm a lifelong, full fledged Marvel zombie and even I'm not this incapable of seeing a good movie for what it is. To not give credit where due to the outstanding performance of Aaron Eckhart and the outstanding directing job is a diservice to the whole film. Despite Ledger being the overall best performer in the film, Eckhart did what was probably the best overall scene in the whole thing (The climactic face off) and pretty much everything post-Rachel's death was just fantastic from him.

Yeah. I understand what you mean; Nolan seems to be using his commercial success as capital to pursue his more "serious" filmmaking. Maybe Nolan isn't necessarily the best choice for a JLA movie -- but there aren't too many directors who have a proven track record at this sort of thing. I certainly hope Warner don't think McG is the answer..
    It might be trendy to hate on him these days, but if I had to pick a big name director to put on JLA, I'd go with J.J. Abrams. Well, I'd go with Joss Whedon first, but since that ship has essentially sailed, I'd go with J.J. Abrams.

I was thinking maybe he can revitalize Daredevil.
    Abgsolutely. I don't think there's a big name director out there who could do a better job on Daredevil than Nolan. Just call it the Man Without Fear to distance themselves from the original film and you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Why does it have to be a proven director with a track record? Whedon wasn't a proven feature film director with a track record prior to Avengers.
    Maybe not, but he had a phenomenal amount of "geek cred" and he was a familiar enough name that people wouldn't immediately just say "who?"

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    He outdid himself with Avengers, though. In fact, it doesn't even "feel" like a Whedon film.
    I disagree. While he may not have done a film like Avengers before, you can absolutely feel the vibe from Astonishing X-Men all over this film. This movie had Whedon's stamp all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin1108 View Post
    All they need is an after credits scene for superman, with reynolds lantern (accept your "loss" like marvel did with hulk) and batman (whether it's bale or someone new) catching Clark in his apartment ala Fury in Ironman 1. Has it been done before? Sure, but the question is , will you care that you did??
    Critics will care and audiences will likely notice and dismiss it due to the way Marvel did it. They'll have to go more subtle if they don't want to come off as too derivative. Just vague hints about the existence of other heroes in Superman's world. If they're going to go blatant, though, GL is not the guy to do it with after his awful film, it's Batman or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Yea Feige deserves a lot of credit. What he has done is miraculous.

Just think, when Marvel started making it's own movies one flop could have killed them. They had to borrow money to make Iron Man and TIH. This whole thing was a giant risk that could have even effected Marvel as a whole.

But hoo boy has it payed off.
    That depends on your definition of flop. Incredible Hulk was, by and large, considered an overall financial disappointment. Personally, I'm glad that Hulk was so well received in Avengers, because I really want another one (I loved TIH).

BANNED

best. super. hero. movie .ever.

Default Puny DC movie execs...!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmite2012 View Post
    DC/Warner Bros must feel like ***t today. With the exception of the Nolan BATMAN films, they've COMPLETELY MISMANAGED their film properties. They could have had a Wonder Woman movie by JOSS WHEDON! He was set to direct it when the higher ups decided to kill the project. Whedon probably would have gone on to film the Justice League movie.

I think DC/Warner Bros need to fire everyone at the top of their media/movies division. They're simply too dumb to run that company.
    QFT. To me the media division of DC/WB is like a bunch of ADD people playing the "telephone" game. Someone comes out with a concept, but by the time the movie comes out it's not even close to what the original concept was about.

Since Green Lantern has been ruined for an age in both comics and movies by the ineptitude of Geoff Johns, I'd leave that property out for at least 10 years. I'd establish movies of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (batman already has been established by Nolan), The Flash, Cyborg, The Atom and maybe Zatanna. Then maybe a Justice League movie would be do-able. Of course, you'd either need to steal Joss Whedon from Marvel OR find someone just as talented to direct the movies. The other thing I'd do is recruit the screenwriters from the comics themselves: Grant Morrison, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire and Warren Ellis. These writers know what make great comic book stories. (not the awful ones that Bob Harras likes).
    The question here is: Is DC/WB willing to shell out $1-2 Billion to make all of those projects you're referring to that would lead up to the Justice League movie? Will they be gun-shy considering some of their projects other than Nolan's Batman have been...less than impressive? The key to the future of the DC movies won't be "TDKR" but "The Man of Steel." If that doesn't come out like gangbusters at the BO, a lot of people may be getting their pinkslips.

I think what's outrageous about the incompetent Managers of DC/Warner Bros is that they didn't realized that when Marvel releases movies like Thor, a Wonder Woman movie will be viewed as derivative or even a NEW GODS movie would be viewed as derivative because there are similar elements involved. When Marvel releases a movie like IRON MAN, a CYBORG movie would also be seen as derivative. There never seemed to be any urgency at DC/Warner Bros to get their properties out there before Marvel.
    I'll disagree with you here: It's all about how the story's written. It's one thing if people see Wonder Woman as a derivative of Thor, it's another when lazy writers actually write it as such. To me the problem with DC is a simple one: they take their characters for granted. Other than Nolan's Batman, it seems like TPTB @ DC just throw a movie out there and say "HEY! HERE'S A MOVIE ABOUT "X"! WATCH IT, PEOPLE!" without actually taking the time to make viewers understand why you should be compelled by said character. Something that Marvel takes some pains to avoid.

One thing that DC does better than Marvel is parallel universes, They should leverage that aspect of their comic book universe in their movie universe.

The final nail in the DC's coffin is now that AVENGERS 2 will feature THANOS, DC can't use DARKSEID as the main villain of their potential JLA movie.
    Well, we'll see. For all we know "The Man of Steel" might be a surprising good view; highly doubt it IMHO, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    Man, someone at DC must be hitting their heads on the wall for letting Whedon escape like this.
    I'm guessing it's the same people that thought getting Bryan Singer off of "X-Men 3" and onto "Superman Returns" would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Please, Avatar 2 is laughing at this number.
    You mean "Dances With Smurfs 2," right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    1. Avatar was a shit movie.
    Avatar is a rip-off of a much better movie called "Dances With Wolves." Cameron's a hack; I respected him for movies like "The Abyss," "The Terminator" and "T2" but he's become a glorified hack after "Titanic" (another mediocre movie BTW).

Avengers was friggin' awesome. Whedon walked a fine line, everyone else involved brought their A game, and it all worked out.

For those talking about potential JLA directors. Snyder did do Watchmen and he balanced the characters pretty well, I think he'd make an interesting JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMage View Post
    I'm guessing it's the same people that thought getting Bryan Singer off of "X-Men 3" and onto "Superman Returns" would work.
    Well, it saved X3... Thanks, DC! :)