Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

They're definitely more cautious about over-publishing. Your LCS doesn't want to bankrupt itself with an inventory with 40 copies of "nameless hype speculator's book #1" sitting back in the back issues bin. Let alone issues #2 and #3 of the same series before it's cancelled.

Pretty much, the comic book industry has become much better at using data to market what demand is, and supply accordingly. Rather than the old methods, which were basically, "print a f***load", and distribute them willy nilly for kids to stumble across and hopefully fall in love with and buy in the hopes that one day it'll be worth more, like baseball cards." It's just a much more responsible business model now.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Diamond's just announced their April sales figures on their retailer site. I can't link to that site but in the next couple of days the story should be on their public site too.

Sales for April 2012 are up around 15% in both units and dollars compared to April 2011 and the rolling year-on-year comparison is up by aroudn 15% too.

But it's just a blip?

A multi-year blip of consecutive double digit growth.
    Things are looking good.

I don't understand why so many people seem so invested in talking the industry down all the time.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Plus that's just the Diamond Top 300 stuff, there are other various charts estimating overall market size stuff where it appears to have just gotten bigger every year more or less.
    You're dealing only with what Diamond distributes, and you're also dealing mainly with superhero comics. The market away from Diamond and superheros tells a different story depending where you are in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    What do you think folks? At the very least, it looks like comics will remains steady in the 70-something million sold range for years to come.
    No they won't. Companies will artificially inflate the market with stunts like the New 52, or endless X Men spin offs. The other problem is an aging audience which is fine because the Big Two especially can pander to them, but it's creating a stale market where originality and talent are virtually extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I don't understand why so many people seem so invested in talking the industry down all the time.
    Because then the nerds can be the "super special onlyest people who are in to the good thing." And their hobby won't be soiled by people who aren't "Real Fans" tm.

BANNED

Heres what big two looked like in April
    http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=121105

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    No they won't. Companies will artificially inflate the market with stunts like the New 52, or endless X Men spin offs.
    As opposed to the 1990s?

I wonder how many of those 100 million copies sold in 1997 were attributable to Deathmate.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

BANNED

If I remember correctly comics sales really slipped around 1995. You should investigate how many comics sold before the speculators entered, perhaps from 1987 to 1990,
    and compare that to today's numbers to get an idea if the industry is still maintaining a similar amount of hooked readers.
    Last edited by adamac™®©; 05-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamac™®© View Post
    If I remember correctly comics sales really slipped around 1995. You should investigate how many comics sold before the speculators entered, perhaps from 1987 to 1990,
    and compare that to today's numbers to get an idea if the industry is still maintaining a similar amount of hooked readers.
    Distribution is considerably different today than it was in the 1980's.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Distribution is considerably different today than it was in the 1980's.
    More comicbook stores and bookstores in the 80's :D
    My town lost Barnes and Noble and Borders within weeks of each other, now there is no bookstores in my town except for the Fry's Electronics surprisingly diverse books section.

I just read that McFarlane started penciling the Amazing Spiderman in 1988, so that should be a pretty good gauge of sales, pre 1987 and after 1989.
    Xmen I think always sold well, but I remember the comic book store frenzy that started after a while of Mcfarlanes Amazing Spiderman run.
    Last edited by adamac™®©; 05-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamac™®© View Post
    More comicbook stores and bookstores in the 80's :D
    My town lost Barnes and Noble and Borders within weeks of each other, now there is no bookstores in my town except for the Fry's Electronics surprisingly diverse books section.
    There was also actual newstand distribution. There were at least 8 places that had spinner racks in my area in the early 80s. The closest place to get comics now is 70 miles to the east-north-east.

Green Lantern Corps Mbr

I actually lost my local borders but I have a books a million I get trades and graphic novels at sometimes. The real winner is my local comic shop. If they ever close I have a back up over in north field. After that I'll have to go digital :/