Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I wouldnt say changing J'onn for Victor changes anything, since you replace one guy 'of color' with another guy 'of color'. Making Aquaman blue-skinned would have helped, adding John Steward instead of Hal Jordan would have helped in those regards. But then again, this is the result of John's Silver Aging everything with a splash of 90'ties on it.
    I only count real ethnicities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Outside i wouldnt count Jonn as a person of colour. He is an alien. He doesnt have a human colour, and he doesnt have a normal life. In most cases writers just keep him in the background.
    Well I do, you just change green to brown...and that most recent writers haven't fared much better at detailing what Vic does when not on a team. Robinson forgot that so well he even forgot he was actually on the active team when he called in the reserves.

Cyborg makes more sense. There are rumors that there will be a book about him soon. If only he didn't look so horrible.
    I've heard only two reasons why Cyborg is on the team:
    1) Geoff likes him; really weird since he treated him as nothing but background filler when he wrote Teen Titans.
    2) "We are all Cyborg when we use our phones"; There's so many wrong things about that line that I really wont bother listing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I only count real ethnicities.
    As far as I am aware, J'onn is from Mars and Vic is a Homo Sapient, who's really more different than the rest of the group?

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

I feel perfectly comfortable speaking for "all" racial minorities when I say this, J'onn doesn't count. It takes more than being colored in with another marker besides peach to be considered a "person of color". It's not like there are any real Martians who could become part of the fanbase. And even if he did count not all racial minorities are exchangeable anyway. The existence of cultural differences stops racial minorities from being exchangeable.

But closer to the actual topic. What other Earth 2 ladies would you all like to see? I'd like to see them bring Stargirl back.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 05-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.

I'm for diversity, but I don't much care for terms like "person of color" (aren't we all people of one color or another?) and "racial minorities" (in which part of the world?).*

As for E-2, can we get some Ghost Fox Killer action, please?! Accomplished Perfect Physcian? Thundermind?

* You may try to stone me now, but it won't work. ;)
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    My vote would be for Alexa, from the DVD. That character deserved better than she got, and if she manages to survive the parademon attack by hiding.....
    Very interesting suggestion, Steve.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    I feel perfectly comfortable speaking for "all" racial minorities when I say this, J'onn doesn't count. It takes more than being colored in with another marker besides peach to be considered a "person of color". It's not like there are any real Martians who could become part of the fanbase. And even if he did count not all racial minorities are exchangeable anyway. The existence of cultural differences stops racial minorities from being exchangeable.
    To be honest I havent seen anyone shouting an equality victory over the inclusion of Vic as a founding member of the JL on any of the forums I visit, I've definitely seen more who seemed to dislike the idea that J'onn isn't a part of it...so I guess being politically correct wont matter so much if the subject doesnt care about your efforts in the matter.
    But let that rest, it's off topic and I am not changing my opinion on it regardless :)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    I'm for diversity, but I don't much care for terms like "person of color" (aren't we all people of one color or another?) and "racial minorities" (in which part of the world?).*

As for E-2, can we get some Ghost Fox Killer action, please?! Accomplished Perfect Physcian? Thundermind?

I like the term Person of Color because it binds Asians, Latinos, Native Americans, people of African decent, Indians and Middle Easterners together instead of in separate color coded categories.

I also see the Martian Manhunter as being much closer to black than white. His last name is J'onzz and it's not easy being green.

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

To be honest I havent seen anyone shouting an equality victory over the inclusion of Vic as a founding member of the JL on any of the forums I visit, I've definitely seen more who seemed to dislike the idea that J'onn isn't a part of it...so I guess being politically correct wont matter so much if the subject doesnt care about your efforts in the matter.
    But let that rest, it's off topic and I am not changing my opinion on it regardless :)
    It's not about an "equality victory", and political correctness has little to do with it. Martians do not exist.... so calling them "person's of color" is just plain old incorrect.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 05-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    It's not about an "equality victory", and political correctness has little to do with it. Martians do not exist.... so calling them "person's of color" is just plain old incorrect.
    Only if you are colorblind :)

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post

We won't get any characters not originally created on Earth 2 to appear there. That's the decree DC has put on Robinson. So it's either re-imagined old Earth 2 characters or completely new characters. Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) is excluded since he arrived on Earth 2 through a quantum tunnel.

As far as I am aware, J'onn is from Mars and Vic is a Homo Sapient, who's really more different than the rest of the group?
    We already have Superman as the alien. They needed someone to represent black people.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

To the extent it makes a difference, everybody's a color, with the possible exceptions of Invisible Man and Woman.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

At this point I'm wondering too if this new character is going to be an Amazon by blood at all, rather someone otherwise completely unrelated whom somehow caught on or was raised with their teachings. I say that because of the pattern we're seeing of characters symbolically or otherwise taking the roles the Trinity had while not being related to them. For example, instead of a Supergirl or Superboy character taking Superman's place, its been said that Alan Scott will fill this role in a sense. Instead of a Bat-family member taking over for Batman, its been said that Hawkgirl will take on the role of this Earth's greatest detective. So I won't be surprised at all if this Last Amazon turns out to be a girl who's not actually from Paradise Island.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    So everyone who read Earth 2 (or even just the preview) remembers Diana shouting about being "the last Amazon." Well... she was wrong.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/james-...amazon/144661/

Are we going to see Donna Troy? Artemis? Fury? Okay, I grant that they'll probably be called Fury no matter who it turns out to be, but still! Awesome news! Discuss!
    It must be fun to have this sort of freedom in the DCU. I hope he uses it well.

Mark_S

Veteran Member

Outside,

I think you just have a different perspective from some of us, because you come (I think?) from a country where there's not such a history of skin color being attached to bigotry and oppression. In America, because we have that unfortunate part of our history, the way different people think about what it means to be a "person of color," or whatever, isn't just about pigmentation and optics; it's about history and social identities and acknowledging inequities.
    Last edited by slvn; 05-09-2012 at 06:00 PM.