Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67
  1. #31
    Senior Member hunter_peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    That "hell raising" would have more to do with the fact that in general the Justice League/Society happens to have more male than female members. Now if the Earth 2 Justice League/Society ends up trending towards a more neutral gender balance and then a male Amazon is introduced it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But odds are the introduction would just make an already unbalanced team more unbalanced.
    That IS true. I hope the use of Hawkgirl instead of Hawkman is indicative of a trend. He did talk about the mystery Amazon and a "kick-ass female character" like they were separate, so that might be a good sign.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

  2. #32
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,533

    Default

    I want more women in the JL as well. There's way too many men as it is. Black Canary should have been a founding member as well, but unfortunately she's an outlaw and all that.

  3. #33
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    I'm fine with Diana as the only founding member (still annoyed that J'onn wasn't), but five years later? Yeah, they should have upped the male:female ratio a bit.

  4. #34
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Yeah this is why I never liked putting the "Big 7" together as the JL. The gender and race ratio is just badly imbalanced, though switching MM for Cyborg helps a bit.

  5. #35
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm fine with Diana as the only founding member (still annoyed that J'onn wasn't), but five years later? Yeah, they should have upped the male:female ratio a bit.
    Who else is there? Black Canary is unavailable by retcon. If Vixen's appeared in nuDC, it's in something I'm not reading. No Hawkgirl. Donna Troy's too good for nu52, and I hope Didio & Co. keep their hands off her; and besides, she's always been a part of the Wonder Woman family, but Wonder Woman can't have other characters related to her own background. I gather most imported Wildstorm characters will be hostile to the Justice League. I might rather have a female Green Lantern rather than Hal.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

  6. #36
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    I'm a traditionalist aka a stick-in-the-mud ;)

    What I would have liked for JL - first arc, original seven. Jump five years into the future (present) and balance out the gender/ethnicity. I don't like seeing anyone replaced in a retcon, including Canary for WW.

    I know the original seven isn't balanced at all, but I don't think that's a reason to erase/alter history. Update the current roster to reflect a proper balance but don't try to change what already happened.

  7. #37
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Who else is there? Black Canary is unavailable by retcon. If Vixen's appeared in nuDC, it's in something I'm not reading. No Hawkgirl. Donna Troy's too good for nu52, and I hope Didio & Co. keep their hands off her; and besides, she's always been a part of the Wonder Woman family, but Wonder Woman can't have other characters related to her own background. I gather most imported Wildstorm characters will be hostile to the Justice League. I might rather have a female Green Lantern rather than Hal.
    Hawkgirl or Vixen would be nice. Mera too, even though they try to not have multiple members from the same franchise. If Johns actually showed any interpersonal relationships between the leaguers, it would be nice to see Diana interact and bond with another female hero.

    And no, showing Hal acting like a moron while everyone reacts to his shenanigans isnt what i call interpersonal relationships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm a traditionalist aka a stick-in-the-mud ;)

    What I would have liked for JL - first arc, original seven. Jump five years into the future (present) and balance out the gender/ethnicity. I don't like seeing anyone replaced in a retcon, including Canary for WW.

    I know the original seven isn't balanced at all, but I don't think that's a reason to erase/alter history. Update the current roster to reflect a proper balance but don't try to change what already happened.
    I dont think anyone suggested replacing WW (if that's what you mean), just adding more women.

    But i agree with the rest of your post.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-09-2012 at 08:20 AM.

  8. #38
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Who else is there? Black Canary is unavailable by retcon. If Vixen's appeared in nuDC, it's in something I'm not reading. No Hawkgirl. Donna Troy's too good for nu52, and I hope Didio & Co. keep their hands off her; and besides, she's always been a part of the Wonder Woman family, but Wonder Woman can't have other characters related to her own background. I gather most imported Wildstorm characters will be hostile to the Justice League. I might rather have a female Green Lantern rather than Hal.
    Power Girl, Huntress, Vixen, Hawkgirl/woman, Zatanna, Black Canary, Katana, Dr. Light, Batgirl, Batwoman, Thunder, Lightning, Grace, Manhunter, Mera, Question...

    Batman can be in seven titles at once including multiple teams (at various times JLA/JLI/Outsiders). No reason a woman can't pull double-duty on two teams :)

  9. #39
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I dont think anyone suggested replacing WW (if that's what you mean), just adding more women.

    But i agree with the rest of your post.
    Nah, just referring to past revisionist history, not to any current suggestions.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Power Girl, Huntress, Vixen, Hawkgirl/woman, Zatanna, Black Canary, Katana, Dr. Light, Batgirl, Batwoman, Thunder, Lightning, Grace, Manhunter, Mera, Question...

    Batman can be in seven titles at once including multiple teams (at various times JLA/JLI/Outsiders). No reason a woman can't pull double-duty on two teams :)
    I see Batwoman as more of a loner. At least she's been that way throughout her history so i cant see her on a satellite next to colourful heroes in spandex.
    And Batgirl.... ewww no...
    Manhunter also seems wrong. She's more of the street level sort of hero. Fighting in Gotham's alleys and what not.

  11. #41
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Of course it would be a different character with Fury's name. She could hardly be Lyta Trevor, unless Diana was incredibly forgetful and/or stupid and just happened to forget she had a daughter.
    She wouldn't need to be unaware of the existence of this character (daughter or not)--just unaware that she survived. Maybe she was teleported away by some unknown party at the moment Paradise Island was destroyed. Or the parademons, instead of killing her along with the rest, captured her and tried to assimilate her into their ranks, but the process was interrupted when Batman destroyed the towers. Wonder Woman wouldn't have to be stupid or fogetful not to know that something like that happened.

    That being said, Robinson was clear in the podcast that the last Amazon is a new character whom he created, so I don't think it's Lyta--and Robinson said in a Newsarama interview that he doesn't know if DC has plans for Donna.

    Whoever this new character is, she'll be a random Amazon that somehow managed to escape the destruction of Paradise Island.
    At first, i thought it might be a lost Amazon who was raised off the island, unbeknownst to her sisters. But that probably would defeat a lot of the purposes of having a last survivor--her knowledge of Amazon ways and emotional connection to her people would be limited.

  12. #42
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    At first, i thought it might be a lost Amazon who was raised off the island, unbeknownst to her sisters. But that probably would defeat a lot of the purposes of having a last survivor--her knowledge of Amazon ways and emotional connection to her people would be limited.
    I know that it's supposed to be a new character.

    My vote would be for Alexa, from the DVD. That character deserved better than she got, and if she manages to survive the parademon attack by hiding.....
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

  13. #43
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah this is why I never liked putting the "Big 7" together as the JL. The gender and race ratio is just badly imbalanced, though switching MM for Cyborg helps a bit.
    I wouldnt say changing J'onn for Victor changes anything, since you replace one guy 'of color' with another guy 'of color'. Making Aquaman blue-skinned would have helped, adding John Steward instead of Hal Jordan would have helped in those regards. But then again, this is the result of John's Silver Aging everything with a splash of 90'ties on it.

    And yeah, more women after five years should have gotten through...especially since it's Diana who is in there, she should at least have made that point once.
    As for who to add...are there any female superheroes who are really unworthy to join the League if provided a proper introduction?
    That said, tactically, they are without a mystical/magical member (supposedly because of the JLD actually existing), Diana ofc has her roots in it, but I am pointing more towards someone who actually does things in spells and actual magic and not though the collection of meat and bones at the end of their arms.
    My suggestions...and why they probably arent members:
    Zatanna; obvious first choice, but considering her current membership of the JLD and the Bat-concern regarding her mental well being she seems unlikely.
    Omen; could have worked I suppose as a pre-cog/psychic...but then Scott Lobdell decided to make her a perception-altering fruitcake with no eyes and sadistic tendencies.
    Madam Xanadu; could have been fun to see who could manipulate each other and the team better: Batman or Madam X, but she's on drugs, so I guess not.
    Raven; well it would add another to Johns, flawed, perception that you graduate from Teen Titans to Justice League, and considering how her W/P interpretation was it could have been a strange, possibly fun, blend of one consummate warrior arguing with a pacifist about how to handle any given situation. However since they are already pointing out about the 1/1000 chance of unexpected Apokolips Fieldtrips, I kinda doubt they'd let a Jekyll and Hyde onto the team.

  14. #44
    The Lost
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Institute of War
    Posts
    1,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm fine with Diana as the only founding member (still annoyed that J'onn wasn't), but five years later? Yeah, they should have upped the male:female ratio a bit.
    Just get on with introducing other members as shown with their promotional poster, Element Woman, Mera and Lady Luck.

  15. #45
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,533

    Default

    Outside i wouldnt count Jonn as a person of colour. He is an alien. He doesnt have a human colour, and he doesnt have a normal life. In most cases writers just keep him in the background.

    Cyborg makes more sense. There are rumors that there will be a book about him soon. If only he didnt look so horrible.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •