Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Mind the Gap - Your Thoughts?

So after all hearing all the hype about this book for the past couple weeks, on top of the fact that Image has been putting out some fantastic new series lately, I decided to pick the first issue up.

When it was all said and done I thought it was a nice set up for a mystery story, the art was well done, and the value you got in pages for $2.99 was unbeatable. However, I have to say I don't get what all the hype is about. Just about every creator on twitter is talking about this book, but I honestly don't get why, especially when the characterization was really kind of lacking for a first issue this size. Again, I'm not saying it's bad; I enjoyed it, but not as much as say the first issue of Saga, or Danger Club or XO-Manowar. It's definitely an interesting start, and it introduced the mystery well, but I don't get why it's getting so much acclaim.

I'm starting to question whether I missed something in there. Can anyone fill me in?

I posted over at Comixtribe in response to this review: http://www.comixtribe.com/2012/05/04...ind-the-gap-1/

Iíll pre-face this by declaring I am a big fan of series like Lost, Fringe, Flash Forward etcÖ plus Morning Glories is my favourite comic, so it comes as no surprise that I loved ďMind The GapĒ!!

However I can see and agree with some of what you found wrong with it.

Itís an odd complaint but in some of the parts I found the artwork and the characters a little too realistic to really suck me in, however I would still rate it a lot higher than most other books out there.

I tried hard not to compare it to Morning Glories but when you have a supernatural mystery book with a mostly teenage cast and Rodin Esquejo on art duties itís impossible not to, and this is where I realised itís short-comings.

Were I to give Morning Glories opening issue 5 stars (which I would), Iíd be forced to mark this down to a 4 star (which I will).

The reason being, Morning Gloriesí characters were a lot moreÖ ermÖ I donít want to say Whendonesque, but certainly quippy and larger than life which helped make them very distinctive and likeable, drawing me into their world almost immediately.

After the first issue of Morning Glories I was in love with the characters so much that I knew I was in it for the long haul and the supernatural mystery elements were just the (very tasty) icing on the cake.

With Mind the Gap, Iím still hooked, but itís the mystery that has me as I still feel a little detached from the characters themselves.

The only characters that stand out to me at all so far is the lad who shares Elliís dream space, probably because he did have some quirks, and the female doctor, probably because she seems to be the only character apart from the mystery hoodie who was actually doing anything proactive through the entire issue.

Like I say, I did still really enjoy it and Iím going to give it the benefit of the doubt that itís the added realism (and the fact ďno ones innocent, everyone a suspectĒ) thatís made the characters a little more impenetrable than Iíd like in the hopes that I warm up to them over the next few issues.

So, 4/5 stars from me!

And my answer to the last comment, I think the back-up section was a great idea and really got me in the game of playing detective on a re-read!
    ULTIMATE COMICS ~ DC DARK ~ BUFFY/ANGEL ~ GREEN ARROW ~BATMAN/BATWOMAN ~ THE MASSIVE ~ PLUS LOTS OF IMAGE

Cool thanks. Having not read Morning Glories I couldn't have made that comparison, but you definitely summed up exactly what I was thinking/trying to say above.

I definitely liked the book and will give it another couple issues; I just don't get all the hype.

I thought it was a solid book. I liked where it is going based solely on the fact that I could not tell if they would be able to pull off something like this and make it not seem dumb or crazy. I thought it showed me that it is in good hands. Plus, the art was cool. Expecially the A cover with all the colors of her hair.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I thought it was a solid book. I liked where it is going based solely on the fact that I could not tell if they would be able to pull off something like this and make it not seem dumb or crazy. I thought it showed me that it is in good hands. Plus, the art was cool. Expecially the A cover with all the colors of her hair.
    Yes, dont get me wrong, it is a good book! Hence 4 out of 5 stars. I was just explaining where it lost that 1 star for me

And I agree that Cover A was amazing!!
    ULTIMATE COMICS ~ DC DARK ~ BUFFY/ANGEL ~ GREEN ARROW ~BATMAN/BATWOMAN ~ THE MASSIVE ~ PLUS LOTS OF IMAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile_17 View Post
    Yes, dont get me wrong, it is a good book! Hence 4 out of 5 stars. I was just explaining where it lost that 1 star for me

And I agree that Cover A was amazing!!
    I agree. The characterization was a little dull. You are 100% right though. This mystery is awesome.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

Weird. My shop told me this was not coming out until next week.

Because there was a car accident with Diamond delivery truck, so some aren't getting it until Wednesday.

Really? Guess that explains it.

By the way that Sentence could easily be turned into an awesome movie.

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

I was afraid of making a thread for this, because I wasn't quite sure I got it. I read it a second time, tho, and it made more sense.

I LOVED the red herrings/clues McCann left us. Is it a coincidence that Dane was wearing a dark blue hoodie, soaking wet and leaving the subway just as he finds out Elle was knocked unconcsious in a subway, in the pouring rain?

Or why would Dr Gellar lie about having slept? After putting away her dark hoodie, similar to the offender's later on?

Or even Dane, and Dr Hammond both having to conveniently "leave" just as we cut to the next scene with the offender?

AHHH! I loved it.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

I get what y'all mean, about the people not clicking right away, but i liked that. We have a group of people who don't really seem like or trust each other, talking in a public place. Why should they be open and transparent? It made them seem more real to me. Plus the art was pretty. It didn't blow my mind, but i don't read many internet reveiws so i missed a lot of the hype. It sounds like you guys hab pretty high expections ( nothing wrong with that)

I didn't like this book. The art was really good as expected, but the story isn't engaging. I thought the musical ringtones were corny. I also didn't like any of the characters. This reads like a murder mystery, which is not my cup of tea.
    Pot+Kettle - "This post went so full retard that it had to be quoted."

I hadn't read any reviews before it came out. The hype I heard was from all the industry people talking about series on Twitter and Facebook, making it sound like it was this year's most important release or something...

Just read it and I really enjoyed it. It definitely felt similar to Morning Glories (a positive in my book). I was wondering though is this a red herring or a really big thing but on p4 when he answers his phone he throws something else onto the couch. This looks an awful lot like another phone. And we know that the person has her phone as said in the mystery conversation. So what are yer thoughts on this.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

I thought McCann was really trying to point the finger at that character throughout so that he could pull a surprise at the end.