Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

It's actually one of my favourite Spider-man stories of all time. It kind of captures everything I love about the character and ramps up the problems to 11 all in the name of showing why Spidey is sucha kick-ass character. It went from depressing and heart-wreching to heroic and triumphant in beautiful manner.

The art is awesome. The contrasts between old man Peter, black costume Spider-man and classic Spider-man are just stunning.

I also really liked Sandman's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Oh, I may have read Reign, but I absolutely hate it. Seriously. Derivative garbage.
    seewhat I am saying?
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Yup. A perfect example.
    Peter Parker + ' 'with great power there must also come great responsibility '' = Spider-man

Anyone find it creepy that he went to hug the corpse of MJ ?

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Anyone find it creepy that he went to hug the corpse of MJ ?
    Creepy but uplifting.
    Peter Parker + ' 'with great power there must also come great responsibility '' = Spider-man

Well, most of the plot points (and art style) are ripped directly off of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, and the plot points original to it make no sense. It play-acts being an epic tragedy, but the emotional moments lack impact because they don't feel like logical progressions of the story. Rather, they're simply events that happen without consistent motivation, just to move the plot along. (Why does Sandman have a daughter? Why does she die like that? Why did Ock's arms wait so long to go after Spidey? Why did Venom wait so long to put his master plan into action? And since when does he care about his species, anyway? Why rig the Six up with bombs, at all? Why assemble only Six if you've got the entire prison population to work with? And, oh yeah, where the Hell did all the other super heroes go?)

Batman lends himself to a certain type of story telling. Spidey doesn't lend himself to the exact same, and trying to force one to be like the other just leads to a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Well, most of the plot points (and art style) are ripped directly off of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, and the plot points original to it make no sense. It play-acts being an epic tragedy, but the emotional moments lack impact because they don't feel like logical progressions of the story. Rather, they're simply events that happen without consistent motivation, just to move the plot along. (Why does Sandman have a daughter? Why does she die like that? Why did Ock's arms wait so long to go after Spidey? Why did Venom wait so long to put his master plan into action? And since when does he care about his species, anyway? Why rig the Six up with bombs, at all? Why assemble only Six if you've got the entire prison population to work with? And, oh yeah, where the Hell did all the other super heroes go?)

Batman lends himself to a certain type of story telling. Spidey doesn't lend himself to the exact same, and trying to force one to be like the other just leads to a mess.
    I can most certainly see why you hate Reign so much then. Spider-man and Batman are both of my fav super heros but they Just don't mix well as storytelling. But what I really did like about Reign was that Andrew put Spidey into a dark world where...He Just gave up the hero bizz. Spider-mans my fav super hero party for the reason that despite the pain and death he has to face, he still doesn't give up. In Reign though...He did give up. For real. For a very long time as a matter of fact. Seeing Peter in this place was uplifting and damn intersting. I really did like Reign because after reading it, the book made me love Spider-man a bit more. Because after years of resting, huanted by a dead wife, spidey soon saw better and that despite being pushd into his dark old days, despite after years of being alone, one man still saw that a hero still lives in him.

Well thats my story. Reign did steal too many things from the TDKN's but this tale about a man who came back because he had too.

Loved it, personally. As long as you can handle the story happening at point C without any explanation of how it got there from point A, chances are you will love it as well. The premise is that it takes place in the future after obviously a bunch of things have changed. How and why it changed is not covered in the story, other than a very round about way.

What I enjoyed about it was that it really took the essence of Spider-Man and showed how it shined through even in this oddball, dystopian future. I thought it was alot better than other alternate Spidey timelines I have seen, such as House of M spidey, for instance.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I don't see it as derivative. The dystopian setting is clearly inspired by DKR, but beyond that the similarities are superficial at best. The circumstances and the attitudes are the logical extension of Peter Parker's shattered hopes and dreams, not Bruce Wayne's.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I don't see it as derivative. The dystopian setting is clearly inspired by DKR, but beyond that the similarities are superficial at best. The circumstances and the attitudes are the logical extension of Peter Parker's shattered hopes and dreams, not Bruce Wayne's.
    True. I think the people who tend to bash Reign are just not comfortable with seeing Spidey in such a depressing setting.

Good points about the AIDS/STD metaphor reducing the wackiness of the radioactive semen. And the following scene is just powerful stuff, not in the least because it elaborates on the sheer magical epicness of Peter and MJ's first meeting-

Reign was one of my all time favorite spider-man stories, didn't really think the mj death was weird, it kind of reminded me of when betty ross died of supposed radiation poisoning from bruce banner (when abomination last killed her)

let peter get his hands dirty. he's already a dellusional old man, what would keep him from killing? desperate times n measures and all that.
    Thing of the naow: Please let Scott Summer die in AVX