Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your first choice for Free Comic Book Day???

If you could only go to one store and only pick one comic, what would it be?

For me it's Atomic Robo with Graphic Elvis and Zombie Kid as close runner ups.

Mouse Guard. It's the only one I will pick up, if I can get it. I'm going to be there when the store opens so fingers crossed.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Always Atomic Robo. Then the Thor Heroclix.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

Buffy/Guild flip-book, was better than I thought it might be.
    A Fool for the Foom

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Mouse Guard. It's the only one I will pick up, if I can get it. I'm going to be there when the store opens so fingers crossed.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention Mouse Guard just because I didn't think I could possibly make it on time to get one. The first comic shop I went to let me take four comics, but they were all out of Mouse Guard. Somehow, the second place I went to still had it. Probably because all the free comics were behind the clerk in boxes and you kinda had to ask for the one you wanted. I feel bad for kids who missed out on it for that reason.

BANNED

You guys should have just used midtown comics online. For $11 shipping they had all 28 comics from FCBD available limit 1 per customer. $11 dollars got you all 28 comics from FCBD. It was just shipping fees to pay. Its too late now went quick after 10 am eastern.

I thought about doing it but my walking dead isn't out yet so to pay double shipping in a months time or to go to the local shop wasn't worth it.

I'm sure when i do my order next week my comic dealer will have some left overs thrown in. All i really wanted was the Donald duck comic.

Too me its too much marketing involved with too much hype on stuff that's mostly garbage. Its free so it gets hyped up. In reality all those comics aren't even worth bagging and boarding not because I care about monetary gain just for the simple fact that the majority of it sucks.

Had I been going to my local comic shop or doing an order that happened to be today would be one thing but planning to go out the way just for these comics didn't seem worth it.

Not to mention a lot of shops vary on how many books you can get. A lot of youtube videos i watch about FCBD 2012 i see they were limted to 3 comics. Unless you're in walking distance of you're local shop I'm not paying $4 a gallon of gas and wasting my time to get 3 random comics that are meant to be a marketing incentive and are probably crappy reads. To do all that I would have just paid the $11dollars with midtown at 10am and could have had every comic from it.

Ill admit though i was tempted to place an order or go to my local shop but in the end I couldn't justify the time and money just to have something for the fact of having it.
    Last edited by needler420; 05-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Yeah, I forgot to mention Mouse Guard just because I didn't think I could possibly make it on time to get one. The first comic shop I went to let me take four comics, but they were all out of Mouse Guard. Somehow, the second place I went to still had it. Probably because all the free comics were behind the clerk in boxes and you kinda had to ask for the one you wanted. I feel bad for kids who missed out on it for that reason.
    I didn't even go because I thought the odds were slim that I'd get one. I figured my store might have ordered 20 or so. I wasn't going to wait in line an hour for the store to open so I just said screw it. I'm busier than I thought I'd be today anyway
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Atomic Robo!

But I picked up almost all of them so it's a moot point...
    Currently enjoying: Batman, Detective Comics, American Vampire, Saga, The Wake, Letter 44, The Manhattan Projects, Atomic Robo, East of West, Ghosted, FBP...

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

Dinosaurs Vs Aliens had by far the best art of all the FCBD samples out there.
    Then Valiant first look, just to see Arturo Lozzi's art, but beside a pin-up wasn't much there. Have to wait till Bloodshot comes out.

BANNED

I got like all of them. I liked lady death and the tranformers the most

The rule in my store was if you buy more than $10 you could get 2 comics, if you did not buy anything you get 1 comic. I got. DC New 52 and the Avengers book. Once I got to my car, my wife noticed that the store owner did not charge anything for a Combo Edition of Detective Comics #9, so I went back for him to pay forvit. He was kind of embarrased that he did not charge it and glad that I came back to pay for it, so he let me chose 2 more comics, I got Mega Man and Sonic thinking that I would give them to my niece, but I read them first and though they were kind of good lol. So I got 4 free comics, DC new 52, Avengers, Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog.

BANNED

My LCS only gave out three this year so I went to another one that gave out one of each. Favorite if Valiant of course. I almost missed out on Mouse Guard because one of the employees was holding the last 4 on her hand and she pointed it out to me Heard good stuff about it. My daughter got Tinkerbell and Johnny Boo. She liked Johnny Boo better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Piratelion View Post
    The rule in my store was if you buy more than $10 you could get 2 comics, if you did not buy anything you get 1 comic. I got. DC New 52 and the Avengers book. Once I got to my car, my wife noticed that the store owner did not charge anything for a Combo Edition of Detective Comics #9, so I went back for him to pay forvit. He was kind of embarrased that he did not charge it and glad that I came back to pay for it, so he let me chose 2 more comics, I got Mega Man and Sonic thinking that I would give them to my niece, but I read them first and though they were kind of good lol. So I got 4 free comics, DC new 52, Avengers, Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog.
    wow that's terrible you shoul be able get all of them. My LCS had a raffle , every 5 dollars you got a ticket. I spent 22 on batman year one year . I won a dazzler poster and a set of comics. Which had the flash 90s retro active book .

As a subscriber/frequent customer I was able to have as many freebies as I wanted (those who weren't only got one, with the ability to get another free issue for every item you buy). My priorities were Adventure Time and Donald Duck Family (both awesome!), but I also got Atomic Robo, Smurfs, Moomin, Barnaby and Mr. O'Mally, and Superman Family Adventures.

Happy day!

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    You guys should have just used midtown comics online. For $11 shipping they had all 28 comics from FCBD available limit 1 per customer. $11 dollars got you all 28 comics from FCBD. It was just shipping fees to pay. Its too late now went quick after 10 am eastern.

I thought about doing it but my walking dead isn't out yet so to pay double shipping in a months time or to go to the local shop wasn't worth it.

I'm sure when i do my order next week my comic dealer will have some left overs thrown in. All i really wanted was the Donald duck comic.

Too me its too much marketing involved with too much hype on stuff that's mostly garbage. Its free so it gets hyped up. In reality all those comics aren't even worth bagging and boarding not because I care about monetary gain just for the simple fact that the majority of it sucks.

Had I been going to my local comic shop or doing an order that happened to be today would be one thing but planning to go out the way just for these comics didn't seem worth it.

Not to mention a lot of shops vary on how many books you can get. A lot of youtube videos i watch about FCBD 2012 i see they were limted to 3 comics. Unless you're in walking distance of you're local shop I'm not paying $4 a gallon of gas and wasting my time to get 3 random comics that are meant to be a marketing incentive and are probably crappy reads. To do all that I would have just paid the $11dollars with midtown at 10am and could have had every comic from it.

Ill admit though i was tempted to place an order or go to my local shop but in the end I couldn't justify the time and money just to have something for the fact of having it.
    You should have just gone to comic book stores. For $0 shipping I got 18 comics from 2 stores, exercise, and Vitamin D! $0 got you 18 comics from FCBD. It was just gas my ex girlfriend had to pay for. It's too late now went quick after 9:30 pm eastern.

I thought about doing it online but I realized it cost $11 dollars for a bunch of comics that cost nothing, 75% of which I wasn't really interested in. I gave half of them to my mom to give to little kids at her work.

I'm sure when I do my order next week my comic dealer will have some left overs thrown in. All I really wanted was Atomic Robo, Graphic Elvis, Zombie Kid, and Mouse Guard.

To me it's a great marketing strategy that get's alot of attention because it's fun and you can get some quality art and literature for free. It's free so it gets hyped up. In reality most of them aren't worth bagging and boarding but there's an opportunity there for me to receive free art, and an opportunity for artists to get their work out to a much larger group and possibly expand their audience.

Had I been going to my local shop or doing an order that happened to be today it would have been convenient, but given the kind gesture of offering something of actual value totally for free, which probably only happens one other time(free cone day at Ben and Jerrys) a year, I decided it wouldn't be too difficult to get off the couch I sleep on in my parents house and take a trip down to my local comic book shop, despite the fact that my lungs are still recovering from a rare form of pneumonia that left me bed(hospital then couch) ridden for weeks quite recently. It just seemed worth it.

Not to mention a lot of comic shops will even give you more than one free comic! I certainly haven't watched any youtube videos about free comic book day, but if I did, and I saw that they were allowed not just one, but three free comics, I would have been very surprised if they weren't extremely grateful for being given extra free stuff! I offered to reimburse my ex girlfriend for the gas, but she refused because she was happy to hang out, go for a drive, have fun together, and experience something new that she hadn't done before, and she was able to get a couple kids comic books that will probably mean the world to her niece. I could have just paid $11 to midtown and had zero fun, zero exercise, zero sunlight, and 10 extra comics that I didn't want in the first place.

I'll admit though I was tempted to order online but then I saw a guy post on a message board about how he just spent $11 on 27 "crappy reads" and a Donald Duck comic.

P.S. I got every comic I was looking for, and I also got the Donald Duck Comic. It's great.