Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by batmanjones View Post
    duper: I'm not saying the characters you listed aren't good characters but to me they're false leaguers.
    Nonsense. It's all fiction. There's no such thing as false, or even true leaguers. And Ross will only acknowledge characters from his personal golden age.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by Roldan View Post
    I know you're probably gonna end up saying something really stupid but i gotta ask, what makes them false leaguers?
    Well, I tend to think "false leaguers" is a bit . . . rash. But I think what batmanjones said in a way explains it all:

The day the Satellite League split and the Detroit League was born was the same day the JLA lost its identity and started floundering around looking for ways to remain interesting and mostly failing.
    To someone who grew up with the original Justice League of America, that group ceased to be once they broke up and JLDetroit was formed. JLDetroit was like the "New Coke" of Justice Leagues, and everything that came after it seemed in a way like a pale imitation that happened to just reuse the name. Sort of like when they keep using a car name on new models that don't really have anything to do with what came before.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To someone who grew up with the original Justice League of America, that group ceased to be once they broke up and JLDetroit was formed. JLDetroit was like the "New Coke" of Justice Leagues, and everything that came after it seemed in a way like a pale imitation that happened to just reuse the name. Sort of like when they keep using a car name on new models that don't really have anything to do with what came before.
    That is indeed what I meant. I meant it to be tongue-in-cheek but I don't like smileys and tone is difficult to express on the internet. This is exactly what I meant though.

To Roldan: "I know you're going to say something stupid, but..." isn't a very polite thing to say. There's a difference between dissing characters and being an ass toward a poster/real person. But to return the favor in case you post back....

"I know you're going to say something stupid, but" I won't be reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

which came out in 1977.
    Huh, I didn't know Robotman was actually in that. I thought that was a Waid retcon from Year One. Kinda nice to see someone acknowledge his post-Golden Age appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Huh, I didn't know Robotman was actually in that. I thought that was a Waid retcon from Year One. Kinda nice to see someone acknowledge his post-Golden Age appearances.
    It was a great story by Steve Englehart, and it featured appearances by both Plastic Man and Congorilla in a JLA story decades before those two ever became members.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Wally was the second Flash, Kyle was the third Green Lantern, Power Girl is another version of Supergirl, Captain Atom wasn't really ever a DC hero (and kind of replicates Firestorm in ways), Tomorrow Woman is forgettable, Zauriel also forgettable and rarely used, Animal Man is a fourth or fifth tier character, Captain Marvel isn't a character made from DC, Doctor Fate is from the Society, Oracle is Batman's underling, Steel is created with inspiration from Superman.... so yeah, I agree with the other guy.
    Or, put another way:
    Wally surpassed Barry, Kyle was the torchbearer, Power Girl was an adult Supergirl, Captain Atom has been in the DCU for decades, I'll never forget Tomorrow Woman or Zauriel, Animal Man had 1 of the best series in the late 80s/early 90s, Captain Marvel has been in the DCU for decades, Dr. Fates past with the JSA didn't stop him from joining the JLI, Oracle was an extremely valuable info. hub, Steel built a designed a time machine powered by punching...

You'll notice that Alex Ross tends to draw/paint the JLA with that membership (the Satellite one) and then throw in a few people he thinks were iconic enough to have been members back then: Captain Marvel and sometimes Plastic Man. He's right to do so.
    As much as I love his art, the fact that he's stuck in time permanently at the time of Super Friends does not make him "right".
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

When did Steel design a time machine powered by punching? That's hilarious and awesome.

The Justice League has had a few weak line-ups but discounting the two most popular and critically acclaimed line-ups - The JLI and the Morrison JLA - is just ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by henrymalredo View Post
    The Justice League has had a few weak line-ups but discounting the two most popular and critically acclaimed line-ups - The JLI and the Morrison JLA - is just ludicrous.
    So, are you saying the original Silver Age + run from the 1960's until JLDetroit isn't one of the "most popular and critically acclaimed line-ups"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    When did Steel design a time machine powered by punching? That's hilarious and awesome.
    DC One Million. Superman 1M was the puncher.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Captain Atom wasn't really ever a DC hero (and kind of replicates Firestorm in ways)
    Um, yeah, I'd say he kinda is, given that DC owns him now and that there's currently a title with his name on it. It doesn't really matter whether he started at DC or no. Ever since the 80s, he's been integrated extensively into the DC universe, to the point where in many cases, he's been considered to be one of the main "expanded" Leaguers. Not to mention that until the reboot, he was a vital member of the Justice League International.

And also, didn't Captain Atom come before Firestorm? So, wouldn't Firestorm be the replicator? I think that Firestorm and Captain Atom represent different aspects of atomic/nuclear energy. Captain Atom is more clean and controlled, while Firestorm is more representative of uncontrolled nuclear energy.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 05-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    As much as I love his art, the fact that he's stuck in time permanently at the time of Super Friends does not make him "right".
    It makes him "right" according to his experience. Apparently he and I are of similar ages since his golden age (yeah, around Super Friends) is also mine.

So, to me, Firestorm was the last legit member.

Is it really necessary that I post "to me" or "in my opinion" in a post that I myself wrote? Obviously the things I write are according to me as the things you write are according to you.

And obviously too, I should think anyway, my tongue was planted in my cheek when I said it in the first place. But I and Alex Ross are not the only readers that feel this way; many readers of our age do and many readers of our age make up a pretty good portion of readers over-all as readership has largely been declining, especially among young people, since people of my age (40's) were young (teens and 20's).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    And also, didn't Captain Atom come before Firestorm? So, wouldn't Firestorm be the replicator? I think that Firestorm and Captain Atom represent different aspects of atomic/nuclear energy. Captain Atom is more clean and controlled, while Firestorm is more representative of uncontrolled nuclear energy.
    Captain Atom did come before Firestorm . . . but Firestorm came before Captain Atom at DC.

(Also, Firestorm is a bit different with the two . . . two . . . two minds in one thing.)

What does it matter. Like the avengers the league has its good and bad line ups.

Plus this is the only one that mattters.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

FYI: Firestorm was the last real member. All since him have been pale impostors.
    Prove you wrong with one name...Cyborg.