Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    It reminds me a lot of the Expendables. Lots of action stars (or comic stars) all together in a big loud mindlessly fun movie. Sadly, the wit that Joss Whedon is known for, the wit that RDJ is known to deliver to Oscar-nominated levels, just wasn't quite there. That actually hurts when you factor in the rewatchability value. Maybe I went in expecting too much from the hype. Left a little disappointed, but still glad I got to see it early. 3 out of 5 stars.
    What? The Whedon wit was all over that movie . RDJ was a beast ! I really have to disagree with you on that . 5 out of 5 for me .

BIG BIG SPOILER TO FOLLOW: HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW MY SNARKY COMMENT!

spoilers:
    So do you think Marvel is going to kill off Coulson in his next comics appearance in order to keep the books in line with the movies?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Cononach; 05-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Glorious. Absolutely glorious.

Can't compare this to Batman where Batman is more grounded in reality. As a superhero movie this is the best I have ever seen. The Hulk moments make it worth it alone. I do agree that Cap needed a bigger moment but that is my only complaint. Will see it a second time before weekend is over.
    Last edited by TheMadderIGet; 05-04-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadderIGet View Post
    Can't compare this to Batman where Batman is more grounded in reality. As a superhero movie this is the best I have ever seen. The Hill moments make it worth it alone. I do agree that Cap needed a bigger moment but that is my only complaint. Will see it a second time before weekend is over.
    I think Cap's big moment was more subtle: when he just up and takes charge and starts giving orders to the cops, and the cops are like "Why should we listen to you?", and then Cap takes down about five aliens single-handedly in thirty seconds, and the cops just falls in line.
    I loved that because it shows why people are willing to follow Captain America into battle, and why he's a natural leder: he knows what he's doing and he walks it how he talks it.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Went to the midnight show which was pretty packed. Will definitely go see it again...something I rarely do.

I agree with the guy who said Cap could've used a few more "bad-ass" moments. Obviously RDJ is the biggest star so I understand that had to be catered to...maybe in the sequel we will really see Cap come into his own as a leader. Those are just a couple nitpicks, though.

The big battle at the end alone was worth my $8, heh.
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

Quote Originally Posted by SupaHood View Post
    What? The Whedon wit was all over that movie . RDJ was a beast ! I really have to disagree with you on that . 5 out of 5 for me .
    Not to mention:
    - Cap being all excited over understanding the Wizard Of Oz reference.
    - the SHIELD agent playing Galaga
    - Cap casually handing Fury his ten dollars
    - Coulsen's trading cards
    - Pepper in general

This film was hilarious.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Where the Highway Ends and the Desert Breaks

Yeah, it's a really enjoyable film. My main complaint about my first viewing was the group of smarmy, hipster douchebags who had to make comments about how lame every trailer was, and wouldn't shut up during the opening sequence. First time in my life I had to turn around, give the death stare, and tell someone to shut the **** up during a movie.

But now that that's off my chest, THE HULK IS AWESOME! And I like how Nick Fury wasn't afraid to play some dirty tricks to get stuff done. The post-credit scene was also totally unexpected and pretty amazing. Biggest letdown: spoilers:
    I thought we'd get an actual scene of Cap being thawed from the ice instead of a three second flashback
    end of spoilers.

Can't wait to see it again next week.

@Cowtools: Cap's enthusiasm about getting that reference was pretty funny because he was so tense and serious prior to that. Great setup.
    "Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Maybe I went in expecting too much from the hype.
    For the first half of the movie, I was thinking this. Sure, I was really enjoying it, watching the heroes kick each other's asses about, and struggling with containing Loki, but I was worried that it wouldn't quite meet my expectations (Which were rediculously high, as were everyone elses). But it wasnt until the Invasion, when the 'Avengers Assemble' spoilers:
    (and Bruce reveals "My secret? I'm always angry!")
    end of spoilers That I really got excited. It was entertaining, funny, and exciting as hell. The fights were all amazing, and Widow's character work was great.
    By the time the panoramic shot of the team in a defensive circle hit, I was beaming like a madman. It. Was. F-ing. Fantastic!
    Also. spoilers:
    THANOS!
    end of spoilers (My friends had no idea who he was, but I was ecstatic at seeing him, even though I'd already seen the clip online)
    Last edited by Stéph.M; 05-05-2012 at 01:35 AM.

I honestly don't think Cap needed more badass moments because of three moments that occured, which are all pretty damn iconic to me, and that I'll remember by dialogue alone.

-I've been in Germany before...(I can't remember it exactly, but the scene that precedes it, combined with his performance there, spoke loudly to me)
    -Drop the Hammer
    -Why should we listen to you?

More than that, he was the heart and soul of the team. He was the leader, the guy that had everyone's back, even if he didn't really really like them (The scene with Stark after you-know-what especially demonstarted that), Stark developed as a result of being with Cap, and while Stark isn't my favorite Avenger, or in the top 5, he started the franchise, and got the spotlight that he deserved, but his full development to hero doesn't happen without Rogers.

I loved Black Widow, so so so so so much, she was far and away my favorite Avenger, which is funny, because not only is she not the strongest or smartest, I don't even think she's the cutest (Chris Evans was BORN to be a blond-haired blue-eyed hunk), but she was handled so well that none of it mattered.

Hawkeye got to be the biggest badass of the movie up until Hulk started doing Hulk things, which I thought was amazing, considering how authentically it happened.

I will say that I wasn't entirely sure that Maria Hill needed to be in this movie, I'm not saying that she shouldn't have been in it, I just don't know what she accomlished that couldn't have been achieved by Coulson.

Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post
    I will say that I wasn't entirely sure that Maria Hill needed to be in this movie, I'm not saying that she shouldn't have been in it, I just don't know what she accomlished that couldn't have been achieved by Coulson.
    I do...being female. It would've been stange if BW was the only chick. I wonder if they will add another female hero in the sequel. Somebody with powers.
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

OK. This movie was OMGWTF awesome!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I do...being female. It would've been stange if BW was the only chick. I wonder if they will add another female hero in the sequel. Somebody with powers.
    I...suppose. But that's pretty disappointing, all things Widow-considered.

As for a female with powers...credit-spoilers follow

Thanos' first apperance as a villain was to combat Iron Man and Captain Mar-Vell, Carol Danvers, of course, would later gain Mar-Vell's powers to become Ms. Marvel. That much comic continuity makes me think that they plan on going that route. I think we'll see Danvers set up in Captain America 2 (Which will need S.H.I.E.L.D. support for a variety of reasons.) while we see Mar-Vell and the Kree being set up in Thor 2. I don't know what the plan is for Iron Man 3, were I in charge, I'd set it before Avengers, but, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    I absolutely loved it! I laughed and I cheered, and I can't remember the last movie that made me do that.
    I completely agree. I think the last time was during Return of the King. My wife and I caught the 12 noon showing IMAX in 3D. It was a mix of people of all genders, races and cultures from what I saw. The entire audience seemed to be enthralled throughout the film. The audience laughed, clapped and even gave multiple standing ovations.

All I can say was it rocked.

patience gone in 3, 2... GokaiRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBtmSF View Post
    The movie was made with such enthusiasm you can’t help but be caught up in it. Epic action scenes and insightful humor make it vastly entertaining. But I can’t help being a little less than satisfied. It does finally get the Hulk right! Mark Rufallo plays David Banner with an awkward reluctance, making him engaging and relatable. Robert Downey Jr. has a magic he brings to the role of Iron Man and his scenes with Hulk/Banner are some clever, subtle moments in what is for the most part a non-stop thrill ride. But even with all the sharp dialog and fine acting, the movie is missing a overarching theme that elevates other great superhero films.
    Nolan’s Batman is a study in vengeance and insanity, Spiderman (1&2) worked the “with great power comes great responsibility” idea and X-Men (2 & First Class especially) had themes of acceptance and empowerment; while the plight of the mutants can be considered an analogy/metaphor for racism, anti-semitism and homophobia.
    Avengers though? just big dumb fun - but highly recommend.
    I feel like this sells the movie short somewhat.

Yes, this is a big, crazy action movie. But there is a great deal of heart in the film, and I actually do feel like there are larger themes in play. The movie just doesn't take a ridiculously huge amount of time to explore it because it's got so much else to do.

Several times throughout the film, certain ideas are considered old-fashioned. But Coulson remarks that maybe that's what we need right now. All those lines about "the way things are right now" and how some sort of change has to occur. To me, that speaks to the social and political landscape that we're living in right now.

Steve has awoken in a world which has come a long way, but is still at war, and for very different reasons than the last time he remembers (and I'm not talking about the Chitauri). The classic sensibilities that heroes like the Avengers, especially Cap himself, represent are a response. Albeit a very light and fun one. I don't think all those lines are there specifically just to develop Steve Rogers, though it has that effect on him. Coulson's ideals are seminal to the themes of the movie.