Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I think Loki's motivation was explained a couple of times in the movie , he was meant to rule and he was supposed to be king. He couldn't have asgard so he settled for earth which is why he made the deal with "the other" so that he gets to subjugate the earth with an alien army and he will give them the cosmic cube or tessaract in return.
    Yeah...and that he chose Earth because he was pissed at Thor and Thor loves Earth/swore to protect it.

I loved the Hulk in this movie, but I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another Hulk movie. TIH was good, way better to me than '03 Hulk (Granted, I was ten when it came out, and my first experience with it came from the crappy tie-in), but it didn't have me geeked out to see The Leader of all people (Granted, Iron Man proved that you can improve villains through movies, but they also went out and got Mickey Fuck Roarke to make Whiplash credible) take on this physical behemoth.

Having him be the big comic relief works for me because I'm not o'erly concerned with the Hulk as a character, Ruffalo made Banner interesting, and the cast sold the fear of the Hulk perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Yeah...and that he chose Earth because he was pissed at Thor and Thor loves Earth/swore to protect it.
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty obvious from the first dialog Thor and Loki had.

Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post
    I loved the Hulk in this movie, but I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another Hulk movie. TIH was good, way better to me than '03 Hulk (Granted, I was ten when it came out, and my first experience with it came from the crappy tie-in), but it didn't have me geeked out to see The Leader of all people (Granted, Iron Man proved that you can improve villains through movies, but they also went out and got Mickey Fuck Roarke to make Whiplash credible) take on this physical behemoth.

Having him be the big comic relief works for me because I'm not o'erly concerned with the Hulk as a character, Ruffalo made Banner interesting, and the cast sold the fear of the Hulk perfectly.
    I'd be interested to see what they might explore with a Hulk movie with Ruffalo (who said in an interview I read that when you sign on with these movies, you sign a contact to make like 10 movies). So that provides some continuity with the actor. And I'd especially be interested if Whedon was to write or at least consult on it. I think the pairing of Whedon and Ruffalo knocked the Hulk/Banner out of the park.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

The round prison that Loki is held in the Helicarrier was that a reference to the Round Room he was held in in the first issue of Avengers?
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post

I think doing another Hulk movie would be pretty difficult without an extremely strong supporting cast. Ruffalo's Banner is good, but a movie about Ruffalo on his own most of the time isn't going to be all that interesting, at least not in my opinion.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Best comic movie ever. Comic movie nirvana.

Name your superlative. Add Avengers to it.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I'd be interested to see what they might explore with a Hulk movie with Ruffalo (who said in an interview I read that when you sign on with these movies, you sign a contact to make like 10 movies). So that provides some continuity with the actor. And I'd especially be interested if Whedon was to write or at least consult on it. I think the pairing of Whedon and Ruffalo knocked the Hulk/Banner out of the park.
    The thing about those deals is that it counts as a movie even if they're only on-screen for two seconds. Fury at the end of Iron Man 1, for example, counted as a movie. It's very possible to see Ruffalo and not Hulk in IM 3.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I think doing another Hulk movie would be pretty difficult without an extremely strong supporting cast. Ruffalo's Banner is good, but a movie about Ruffalo on his own most of the time isn't going to be all that interesting, at least not in my opinion.
    I'd agree with you, I didn't mind any of the time spent on Ruffalo during this movie, but that's because, as you mentioned, he was being played off of an extremely good cast.

I've always felt that when he Hulks out, it should feel like a horror movie, this giant monster that's totally unstoppable coming at you full-force all the time.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

One thing not much discussed yet in this thread: there seems to be a bromance being set up between Stark and Banner. The two seem to have a good rapport and mutual respect for each other that I didn't see as much between the other characters. When Iron Man seemed to be down for the count near the end of the film, Hulk seemed to be the one most concerned/upset by it. It looks like Dr. Banner just might take up Stark's offer to work for Stark Enterprises. It's likely because as the only two scientific geniuses in the group, they "get" each other more than the others do. They also both know a little something about struggling with personal demons.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

There are knits to pick - The plot is fairly thin. Old fashioned or not, Cap's uniform looks ridiculous. The final battle does drag on and looks like the end of Transformers 3. The alien villains are generic. Etc, etc

But overall, none of that diminished the rush I got when the Hulk side punched Thor or affected my excitement in the moments before uru metal met vibranium for the first time. The film develops fantastic relationships and character dynamics by drawing from the best elements of 50 years of Avengers books. I saw Hitch's aesthetic, Shooter's and Thoma's cosmicness, Stan Lee's patriotism and sentimentality, Millar's Civil War paranoia, and countless other influences. So, though by no means a perfect film, Avengers delivered a much more enjoyable experience than I had expected.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Old fashioned or not, Cap's uniform looks ridiculous.
    I was actually surprised by the extent to which the Captain America costume actually worked for me, but compared to the 1970s and 1990s attempts, I guess anything was going to be an improvement.

Actually, on second thought, the 1990s B-movie suit is a decent straight adaptation of the classic comics costume. Don't know if it would have worked for the current AVENGERS film, though.

faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

I do like the Captain America movie costume better than the Avengers one, but all in all, the movie kicked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Actually, on second thought, the 1990s B-movie suit is a decent straight adaptation of the classic comics costume. Don't know if it would have worked for the current AVENGERS film, though.

Hey - I kept thinking about the eyes and helmet of this costume through out the new film. Thinking about it, I think that context will be really important in the way I view this costume going forward. The symbolism of the costume was played to great effect in the Cap movie. Maybe in the sequel the costume itself will be a device through which Steve works out his feeling like an anachronism.

Really liked the Stark/Banner bromance. It makes sense to team them up and put a focus on their scientific acumen in a cinematic MU that is bereft of Reed Richards.

I'd really like to see Banner in IM3 as a way to see Ruffalo in the role again... and maybe some Hulkbuster armor.

Elder Member

I generally preferred the WWII Cap costume (with the exception of the fake abs; those always look silly). But other than the mask, there was nothing really wrong with the Avengers costume. They should have used something more like a military/aviator's helmet, like they did for the Cap movie version. The only reason for him to wear a head covering is for protection; he has no need for a mask per se, as his identity isn't actually a secret.