Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Whedon feels the same way, so I'm hoping we two new female characters in the sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post
    Ms. Marvel for the hero, and hopefully Gamora for the villain? Though Gamora isn't REALLY a heavy-hitter, she just works with Thanos and all.
    2 for me should be Wasp and Scarlet Witch(which also mean having Quick Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I think Loki's motivation was explained a couple of times in the movie , he was meant to rule and he was supposed to be king. He couldn't have asgard so he settled for earth which is why he made the deal with "the other" so that he gets to subjugate the earth with an alien army and he will give them the cosmic cube or tessaract in return.
    O.K. That makes sense. But why did he allow himself to be captured by the Avengers?

He wanted to get near Hulk. That was what we learned from Black Widows scene with him.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    He wanted to get near Hulk. That was what we learned from Black Widows scene with him.
    O.K. I gathered that much. But why does he want to get near Hulk?

I think it's implied that the Hulk is the only one who can take out the rest of the Avengers, is that right? And he uses Hawkeye's assault to trigger the event?

Why bother to get captured at all then? Why not just have Hawkeye and his troops attack the helicarrier?
    Last edited by smhoulihan; 05-07-2012 at 03:30 AM.

I think Loki was there to serve as a distraction , he was the decoy while his lead scientist was assembling the device to open the portal to let the invasion force in. If they are too busy with Loki , they can't go after the guy.
    Loki was obviously confident of his own ability to escape whatever trap they had with the help of his mind controlled lackies and not only that , he can also mess up the plans of the heroes by unleashing the hulk.
    Last edited by marshal99; 05-07-2012 at 04:16 AM.

BANNED

Yea, not only did Loki want to get to Hulk and stir some shit up with the Avengers, but him being caught was a Red Herring. The Avengers think "ok we've got him" but at the same time his plan is continuing to come into place.

Quote Originally Posted by smhoulihan View Post
    O.K. I gathered that much. But why does he want to get near Hulk?

I think it's implied that the Hulk is the only one who can take out the rest of the Avengers, is that right? And he uses Hawkeye's assault to trigger the event?

Why bother to get captured at all then? Why not just have Hawkeye and his troops attack the helicarrier?
    I would say having The Hulk causing a ton of carnage at the same time is a good tactical move, though.

I enjoyed the movie a lot and it was a lot better then I expected it to be. To me though calling it the Avengers seems a bit misleading and I saw it more as an Ultimates movie as the story resembled the Ultimates more then the Avengers.

Ultimate Nick Fury
    The government being behind SHIELD and the Avenger Initiative
    The council
    The Avengers being made for the purpose to combat an evil that may arise
    Hawkeye's costume
    To a lesser degree Cap's costume
    The Avengers not getting along at first
    Fighting the Hulk before the Chitauri
    The Chitauri invasion
    Loki's hair
    The government not trusting the Avengers and wanting to control and/or monitor them
    Cap, Hawkeye, and Black Widow all being founding members
    and lastly the lack of "Avengers Assemble"

I really loved how Cap was portrayed in both this and his own movie think Evans pulled of the character great and is a better Cap then Human Torch. The thing I hated the most was how the Chitauri's look was changed and tha Loki was there leader. I honestly though Loki wasn't needed in the movie and the Chitauri would have been fine as the only villains, but over all loved the movie.

ps another terrible thing was while waiting in line this one girl asked who was in the movie and when this other guy was answering he referred to Hawkeye as Green Arrow lol.

I think Loki was there to serve as a distraction , he was the decoy while his lead scientist was assembling the device to open the portal to let the invasion force in. If they are too busy with Loki , they can't go after the guy. Iron man realise this too late when he figured out that Stark towers is where the device is going to be used. Loki was obviously confident of his own ability to escape whatever trap they had with the help of his mind controlled lackies.
    If this is the case, then it does make a certain kind of sense. But I wish the movie had been more explicit in illustrating this. Maybe a few lines of dialogue after the fact.

And you say Loki is supposed to be a distraction, but how much of a distraction is he really when he's captured on the helicarrier? The only two people he talks to directly are Fury and Black Widow, and Fury is dismissive of Loki while Black Widow is outright playing him.

And yet, as soon as Loki is brought aboard the helicarrier, the Avengers are suspicious of each other and at each others throats.

It is implied that the Loki's staff is having a subversive effect on the Avengers. But if that's the case, why does Loki allow himself to be caught? Why doesn't he just leave the staff in Germany and let the Avengers bring it back to the helicarrier where it can tear them apart?

It's all kind of murky.

If this is the case, then it does make a certain kind of sense. But I wish the movie had been more explicit in illustrating this. Maybe a few lines of dialogue after the fact.

And you say Loki is supposed to be a distraction, but how much of a distraction is he really when he's captured on the helicarrier? The only two people he talks to directly are Fury and Black Widow, and Fury is dismissive of Loki while Black Widow is outright playing him.

And yet, as soon as Loki is brought aboard the helicarrier, the Avengers are suspicious of each other and at each others throats.

It is implied that the Loki's staff is having a subversive effect on the Avengers. But if that's the case, why does Loki allow himself to be caught? Why doesn't he just leave the staff in Germany and let the Avengers bring it back to the helicarrier where it can tear them apart?

It's all kind of murky.
    I imagine Loki has to be close to the staff for him to exert his negative influence. Loki is not one to sit back , he has to be there to gloat and see his handiwork. As stark said in the movie , he's a diva , he wants his audience , he wants everyone to see.

Remember when Loki was gloating to the injured coulson on the ground after he thought he had the advantage.
    "Your heroes are scattered , your floating fortress falls from the sky , where is my disadvantage ?".

Loki was a very cocky overconfident guy , he didn't believe that anyone could stop him at all which is why he was unperturbed by iron man's appearance when he landed at stark towers after the whole loki escape from the helicarrier.

I imagine Loki has to be close to the staff for him to exert his negative influence. Loki is not one to sit back , he has to be there to gloat and see his handiwork. As stark said in the movie , he's a diva , he wants his audience , he wants everyone to see.

Remember when Loki was gloating to the injured coulson on the ground after he thought he had the advantage.
    "Your heroes are scattered , your floating fortress falls from the sky , where is my disadvantage ?".

Loki was a very cocky overconfident guy , he didn't believe that anyone could stop him at all which is why he was unperturbed by iron man's appearance when he landed at stark towers after the whole loki escape from the helicarrier.
    I appreciate you taking the time to explain it, and it does make sense; but, I'm sorry, there's just too much guesswork involved for me to fully buy into it.

We have to make too many leaps of faith regarding Loki's motivation, when it should be made abundantly clear in the film itself.

If Loki has to be close to the staff to exert his negative influence, then Whedon should give Loki some expository dialogue where he says something like: "You know, I need to be close to my staff to exert my negative influence."

It's clear that Whedon went to great pains to reveal the character of The Avengers through their dialogue, I just wish he'd taken a little more time to make the actual plot of the movie more comprehensible.

Loki's motivation was clear to me anyway.

O.K. That makes sense. But why did he allow himself to be captured by the Avengers?
    His staff was feeding their anger in that scene where they all argued, and Banner picked it up...his plan was to get Banner to turn and wreck the ship, wreck any chance of the heroes working together, etc....which just about worked (and worked well enough for him to escape). During that scene, they even zoomed in on the staff at one point, showing it glowing/working it's mojo.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Loved this movie! Epic. I will definitely be seeing it again (and probably again after that!).

BANNED

The Avengers is the superhero movie I have waited my entire life to see.