Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 822
  1. #211
    Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djm72 View Post
    What I loved about that scene, was it showed the cops involved in the fight. I thought that was a great touch. They weren't running away and leaving it to the super-heroes to do it. They were on the front lines, weapons drawn, joined in the fight. Really, really nice touch.
    I agree, that was an awesome part of the movie. I also really appreciated that a big part of the climax of the movie was the Avengers helping with the rescue, and not just focusing on Loki. Great stuff all around.

  2. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    it's all a matter of preference , that scene you want of Loki/Hulk , for me , it wouldn't have worked and frankly i think it would have derail the whole scene and became way too gimmicky.
    What we saw of Loki/Hulk was just right , short and sweet. There was still a huge battle going on outside the building.
    No, I think the opposite, the scene was 'gimmicky' the way it was, and I explined why. I don't understand why your argument about 'a large battle still going on outside' would be relevant if an extended dramatic scene actually worked better, if it had been great in that form, you would not have been complining about it being too long, in fact, a battle still going on outside would explain why no-one else interrupted Hulk and Loki.

  3. #213
    Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    it's all a matter of preference , that scene you want of Loki/Hulk , for me , it wouldn't have worked and frankly i think it would have derail the whole scene and became way too gimmicky.
    What we saw of Loki/Hulk was just right , short and sweet. There was still a huge battle going on outside the building.
    I agree. I think the 'get in/get the laugh/get out'-ness of the scene is what makes it work. There is tons of drama going on.

    When Hulk punches Thor, I remember cracking up, then thinking for like, a split-second, 'was that too silly?'. Then I looked over and saw my wife nearly in tears, laughing so hard, and I remembered, these movies are supposed to be enjoyed. Then my wife went and surprised me afterwards by saying, "That part when Hulk punched Thor, it was hilarious. And it shows that he's still having trouble being completely in control. That he's trying to keep his anger in check." And I loved my wife even more at that point :)

  4. #214
    Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by listenuscrewheads View Post
    No, I think the opposite, the scene was 'gimmicky' the way it was, and I explined why. I don't understand why your argument about 'a large battle still going on outside' would be relevant if an extended dramatic scene actually worked better, if it had been great in that form, you would not have been complining about it being too long, in fact, a battle still going on outside would explain why no-one else interrupted Hulk and Loki.
    I'm with marshal99, but this is the way movies go sometimes. What works for one, doesn't always work for the other. As long as it's not ruining the movie for you, it's all good.

  5. #215
    Elder Member marshal99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by listenuscrewheads View Post
    No, I think the opposite, the scene was 'gimmicky' the way it was, and I explined why. I don't understand why your argument about 'a large battle still going on outside' would be relevant if an extended dramatic scene actually worked better, if it had been great in that form, you would not have been complining about it being too long, in fact, a battle still going on outside would explain why no-one else interrupted Hulk and Loki.
    Like i said , it's a matter of preference. I like it the way it was portrayed just fine , your nitpicking over minor issues are just that , nitpicking. Loki should be more powerful , hulk should talk more , cap should yell "avengers assemble" yada yada yada , it's what fanboys do. It's comics , what do you expect ? Nobody is ever going to agree 100% with everything.

  6. #216

    Default

    Oh c'mon guys, the Hulk vs. Loki scene was golden.

    A big fight with Loki using all his tricks and Hulk struggling to keep up would have been drawn out and ruin the pacing of the larger battle within the movie.

    Loki talking to Hulk makes sense if you realize that things aren't going quite the way Loki planned. He was frustrated, he wanted to rule the earth, and he was convinced that all humans were beneath him. In his frustration, he tried to re-boost his own ego and reassert himself as a god, as the one who would rule, as being above humanity, and he probably thought he would be able to do so with the Hulk because the Hulk is especially dumb.

    He wasn't thinking about fighting or escaping the Hulk, he was tired of that crap. He's a god, this stupid fighting is beneath him, the Hulk is beneath him, and he, as earth's future king, wasn't going to take any more crap, just because. He wasn't going to use his tricks and fight any more because he shouldn't have to, he's a god godammit, now KNEEL!

    Edit: Not to mention, Loki told Hulk to stop, and he actually stopped. Why get him going again?
    Last edited by Number_5; 05-06-2012 at 08:07 AM.

  7. #217
    Gone
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Outside looking in
    Posts
    14,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Oh c'mon guys, the Hulk vs. Loki scene was golden.

    A big fight with Loki using all his tricks and Hulk struggling to keep up would have been drawn out and ruin the pacing of the larger battle within the movie.

    Loki talking to Hulk makes sense if you realize that things aren't going quite the way Loki planned. He was frustrated, he wanted to rule the earth, and he was convinced that all humans were beneath him. In his frustration, he tried to re-boost his own ego and reassert himself as a god, as the one who would rule, as being above humanity, and he probably thought he would be able to do so with the Hulk because the Hulk is especially dumb.

    He wasn't thinking about fighting or escaping the Hulk, he was tired of that crap. He's a god, this stupid fighting is beneath him, the Hulk is beneath him, and he, as earth's future king, wasn't going to take any more crap, just because. He wasn't going to use his tricks and fight any more because he shouldn't have to, he's a god godammit, now KNEEL!

    Edit: Not to mention, Loki told Hulk to stop, and he actually stopped. Why get him going again?
    IMHO, that scene actually mirrors the Hulk comics where he has fought smarter enemies who think themselves superior to him for decades.

  8. #218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regnak
    Consider that Loki had already been beaten up by Thor, had the arrow blow up in his face and got hit by Hulk once before starting his speech. He may have been too shaken up to concentrate right then and making a speech to catch his breath/think up an escape plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Oh c'mon guys, the Hulk vs. Loki scene was golden.

    A big fight with Loki using all his tricks and Hulk struggling to keep up would have been drawn out and ruin the pacing of the larger battle within the movie.

    Loki talking to Hulk makes sense if you realize that things aren't going quite the way Loki planned. He was frustrated, he wanted to rule the earth, and he was convinced that all humans were beneath him. In his frustration, he tried to re-boost his own ego and reassert himself as a god, as the one who would rule, as being above humanity, and he probably thought he would be able to do so with the Hulk because the Hulk is especially dumb.

    He wasn't thinking about fighting or escaping the Hulk, he was tired of that crap. He's a god, this stupid fighting is beneath him, the Hulk is beneath him, and he, as earth's future king, wasn't going to take any more crap, just because. He wasn't going to use his tricks and fight any more because he shouldn't have to, he's a god godammit, now KNEEL!

    Edit: Not to mention, Loki told Hulk to stop, and he actually stopped. Why get him going again?
    I'm sorry, but I don't really buy either of those explanations, Loki is not dumb enough to think he could silver tongue a mindless monster, and I don't think he was injured badly, in a way that would have prevented him from casting spells.
    I also don't think that an extended scene between Loki and the hulk would have ruined the film's pacing, it could have been a very dramatic confrontation, before going into the funny, would have made more sense, and didn't have to be that long. It would have been a good scene for more hulk characterisation as well, seeing how he reacted to magic tricks, before going in for the slamming.

  9. #219
    Uncanny Avengers Mod Washout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    39,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrosckowff View Post
    That was meant for


    Before I get started, I liked the movie, but I wouldn't give it any higher than a low B, and that might change after I see it again.

    The first half was really boring and dragged on. I didn't feel like anything was happening. Also the dialog was way to "Whedony." I got tired of Tony's witty retorts fast, and when Thor did it, it was painful. Cap's lines were pretty great. The movie emotionally resonated with me, though, and the second half was phenomenal. If it weren't for the boring first half and Whedon trying to hard, it would have been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaHood View Post
    I see your not a Joss Whedon fan . In that case you will never like it anymore then you do now . Too bad , cause it's better then what your giving it .
    I love Buffy and Angel. I'm just not blinded by my interest in them. The dialog was awkward at times, but that doesn't mean I thought the move sucked. It isn't going to win any oscars, but once Thor came in, it was a solid movie. The gathering of everyone is boring as he'll though.
    XPOTM:September 2010

  10. #220
    What the...?
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,360

    Default

    The movie had it's flaws but the Hulk/Loki scene was far from being one of them. The alternate version protested would take too long to get to the punch line. And character and story wise it makes sense. Hulk out matched Thor physically and there's no reason he couldn't out match Loki. Even as smart as Loki is he was pretty much caught off guard by the Hulk.

    And I'm glad we avoided another fake Loki trick in that scene.
    Last edited by GRANT!; 05-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.

  11. #221
    That one guy. Serik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where the Highway Ends and the Desert Breaks
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    It seemed like Thor's and Loki's "power levels" were somewhat ambiguous in the film, e.g., when Loki says something like "the humans think of us an immortal; shale we find out?" before dropping Thor from the Helicarrier. Plus Fury says the cage was built for something "much stronger" than Loki, but he could've been bluffing more than providing an honest assessment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    What that scene shows is that Cap, no matter the odds, even if he knows he can't win, will keep fighting the good fight. It was a display of his character more than his physical prowess.
    "Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences." - Robert Louis Stevenson

  12. #222
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Avengers has just made 200 million dollars opening weekend. Ridiculous.

  13. #223
    What the...?
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    . The gathering of everyone is boring as he'll though.
    I'd agree that was the shakiest part of the movie. Lot of the mythology, exposition and the Loki plotting stuff slowed the movie down. There's a few bright spots but the movie doesn't pick up until the big three meetup.

    Then again I prefer that over the other movies where the first act is the best part and the conclusion just falls apart.

  14. #224
    Senior Member 40yearoldnovafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    29 Palms
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Yes he was depowered. But still, he was whupping Cap's ass like he was his step son.
    Why are you so convinced that Loki was de-powered? Cap, my favorite Avenger in the comic, could not handle Loki. Loki, who is not an Asgardian, cannot be de-powered. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember a time where I have seen Loki standing toe to toe with anyone, and I have been reading comics since the early 1970s (ok, maybe I'm so old that I have forgotten).

    In a matter of fact, they made Loki too strong, in my opinion. Loki does not fight Thor hand to hand like this - he would get it handed to him. Why do you think he resorts to magic (as one of us pointed out). But I actually loved seeing this physically stronger Loki. It showed that we mere Earthlings are fleas, even when compared to a runt of a frost giant like Loki.

    Loki was awesome. But in no way did they suggest he was de-powered. What Joss Whedon showed is that Hulk is not to be messed with.

  15. #225
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 40yearoldnovafan View Post
    Why are you so convinced that Loki was de-powered? Cap, my favorite Avenger in the comic, could not handle Loki. Loki, who is not an Asgardian, cannot be de-powered. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember a time where I have seen Loki standing toe to toe with anyone, and I have been reading comics since the early 1970s (ok, maybe I'm so old that I have forgotten).

    In a matter of fact, they made Loki too strong, in my opinion. Loki does not fight Thor hand to hand like this - he would get it handed to him. Why do you think he resorts to magic (as one of us pointed out). But I actually loved seeing this physically stronger Loki. It showed that we mere Earthlings are fleas, even when compared to a runt of a frost giant like Loki.

    Loki was awesome. But in no way did they suggest he was de-powered. What Joss Whedon showed is that Hulk is not to be messed with.
    You're preaching to the choir here man. I think he was brilliantly portrayed. But from what i've seen, both Thor and Loki are slightly underpowered. But it doesn't bother me.

    You can't have Thor completely annihilate Iron Man like he did when he came back in JMS' run. So they made the fight more even, but still showed that Thor was easily too much for Stark.

    It's films. They'll always be slightly depowered.

    When Thanos shows up with the IG don't expect to see him clicking his fingers and killing half the universes population.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •