Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Oh, good, we can talk about it properly now.

I'd give it a 7/10. I've talked about why elsewhere but I was thinking about the ending recently and realised something quite disappointing; out of all the Avengers, Thor is the only one whose story advanced in this film. For Iron Man 3, Captain America 2 and a new Hulk solo movie (if they make one), The Avengers movie could be completely ignored. Stark Tower doesn't necessarily need to play into the third Iron Man film and a second Captain America film will still most likely deal with him trying to readjust to modern life. That isn't necessarily a bad thing for those movies but for The Avengers? It only adds to the feeling that this is more like a forgettable one-shot comic book rather than a team book with important developments. It's a disposable fast-food version of a superhero film.
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    It reminds me a lot of the Expendables. Lots of action stars (or comic stars) all together in a big loud mindlessly fun movie. Sadly, the wit that Joss Whedon is known for, the wit that RDJ is known to deliver to Oscar-nominated levels, just wasn't quite there. That actually hurts when you factor in the rewatchability value. Maybe I went in expecting too much from the hype. Left a little disappointed, but still glad I got to see it early. 3 out of 5 stars.
    Whedon's wit wasn't there? What film did you watch? I as with a friend that was very, very skeptical about this film (generally doesn't enjoy comic book films), and said it was fantastic. She can't decide whether to give it a 9/10 or 10/10. As someone that has watched *everything* Joss Whedon except for pretty much Cabin in the Woods and Dollhouse, this film shined as one of Joss Whedon's greatest accomplishments. He pulled of something amazing, and had all of his wit in in. Avengers is one of my favorite comics (specifically New Avengers), to the point I shelled out the forty bucks for the big ass Avengers poster. I went in with huge expectations and was blown away. I expected my friend (who is also a film major) to give it a 6 or 7, but as I said, she can't decide on a 9 or 10. This isn't to say that your opinion doesn't matter and that you must agree with a 9 or 10 rating. However, to state that Whedon's wit and humor wasn't in the film is just plain wrong.
    smaismrmilmepoetaleumibunenugttauiras

I loved it, thought it was awesome. But as with Dark Knight, I think some of the 2nd Coming overreaction will quiet down in a few months. Hopefully without the backlash.

Maria Hill didn't add or detract from the movie in anyway. She was just there...well, her ass looked good in those pants, I'll give her that. But you could have given all her lines and actions to random crew members and/or Black Widow, and nothing would change about the movie.

I will say that I was shocked at how good Scarlett Johannson was. Seeing her in Iron Man and a few other things had me wondering if her serious actress rep was a bunch of hype, and she was really getting praised for being merely-OK while also being astonishingly hot. But she was really good her, and nearly stole the movie. I actually want a Black Widow film now to seriously watch it, not just for ogling highlights.

There was a lot more, and a lot better, action than I ever expected from Joss Whedon. I didn't think he had it in him. The opening scene with Loki and the base was a little pedestrian. And something about Loki riding in the back of a truck in a car chase just felt off. But everything else was great, although the helicarrier sequence could probably have been trimmed a bit for pacing.

There's not much new to say about all the good things about the movie. So I'll highlight some what I felt were some imperfections, none were a big deal, but most Avengers, like most films still had a little room for improvement.

It's a shame a that Ed Norton is such a diva. Because while Ruffalo was OK, I thought Norton's Banner was much better. Ruffalo did nail the scene he had that mattered most, though: spoilers:
    "I'm always angry."
    end of spoilers I did not like the changes to Hulk's face.

They probably could have reduced the number of times Loki gets smacked around before the end.

I wish I'd saved it, but I remember a good while back calling it that spoilers:
    Coulson would die in Avengers. He's the only character who'd be expendable-enough yet would also have the audience care.
    end of spoilers

We saw some of Tony's personal life. Thor got an update about Jane Foster. I wish she'd gotten something with Cap dealing with his past. Maybe a visit to Peggy Carter's grave, or just a picture or obituary clipping in his locker.

Who was Loki's handler, the one he spoke to early on? A new character? I had a feeling the unseen emperor-figure would turn out to be spoilers:
    Thanos. It was that or Dormammu, and I just couldn't imagine they would bother with him as a big reveal.
    end of spoilers

I think we should have seen a bigger gun, of some sort, from the aliens. Flying bikes are cool but they're not exactly super weapons, and they can die to pistol fire. Not sure how they were actually going to take over the world with that, unless it was through sheer overwhelming numbers. Also, I would have liked the Helicarrier to do something besides get attacked. It should have been involved in the final battle, at least by sending in fighter jets. The only military involvement I saw was a few light vehicles and soldiers.

Wouldn't it make sense to for Tony to let go of the nuke just before the portal? Or right after crossing? That scene played a little too artificial, trying to force a possible self-sacrifice moment.

I didn't like the falling metal box trap. I never took it seriously as a lethal threat to Loki or Thor. And why did Thor didn't keep striking the window after he cracked it. It seemed like there was a long while to act before Loki got to push the control. And given that Hulk fell off a plane, it probably wouldn't have worked on him either. Perhaps if it also filled with poison gas and was rigged to explode.

When he was having his "knee before Loki" speech, I immediately though "some old man will stand up to him." And, of course, that's what happened. A little too obvious there, Whedon was.

When arguing with Tony, why doesn't anyone point out that he's still making incredibly deadly weapons himself? He's just putting them on his suit.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

so i saw this and i have to give it a c+ at most. the movie reminded me of a brian bendis book with better dialogue. they had special moments but the film to me felt disjointed. also i found ruffalo's hulk to be awful. i would not go see a hulk movie starring him at all. also why did they need to change hulks origin for the movie verse. i dont see why they couldnt have said he was in a bomb accident like in comics. iron man had the best lines of the film. Chris Evans was good but im not sure how they can come up with a sequel using his character. this felt like a one time thing. it will be hard to put the team back together for a sequel. the individual movies i felt were better than avengers.
    Last edited by drwho; 05-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cononach
    I take the reveal of the villain as nothing short of a sucker punch at DC.. making their obvious choice of a JLA villain, should they ever pull off their own movie, as looking like a rip of of this guy..
    That will be a problem for DC, but I doubt it was the reason they picked you-know-who. He's the biggest Marvel villain. Or at least, the biggest who is not caught up with another studio's movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools
    I think Cap's big moment was more subtle: when he just up and takes charge and starts giving orders to the cops, and the cops are like "Why should we listen to you?", and then Cap takes down about five aliens single-handedly in thirty seconds, and the cops just falls in line.
    I loved that because it shows why people are willing to follow Captain America into battle, and why he's a natural leder: he knows what he's doing and he walks it how he talks it.
    I think Cap organizing the team's battle plan before that was more important.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho
    lso why did they need to change hulks origin for the movie verse. i dont see why they couldnt have said he was in a bomb accident like in comics.
    Because it would take one hell of a contrivance for a man to actually get hit by his own atomic bomb test.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Stéph.M View Post
    For the first half of the movie, I was thinking this. Sure, I was really enjoying it, watching the heroes kick each other's asses about, and struggling with containing Loki, but I was worried that it wouldn't quite meet my expectations (Which were rediculously high, as were everyone elses). But it wasnt until the Invasion, when the 'Avengers Assemble' (and Bruce reveals *redacted*) That I really got excited. It was entertaining, funny, and exciting as hell. The fights were all amazing, and Widow's character work was great.
    By the time the panoramic shot of the team in a defensive circle hit, I was beaming like a madman. It. Was. F-ing. Fantastic!
    Also. spoilers:
    THANOS!
    end of spoilers (My friends had no idea who he was, but I was ecstatic at seeing him, even though I'd already seen the clip online)
    I think the Banner quote is pretty spoilery.

As far as Cap's moments, I dug'em except that I don't think his Super-Soldier status is as prominent as it ought to be. The Widow and maybe Hawkeye seemed about as capable. That made them look great and Cap seem ...just as great.
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Great movie. My theatre only had 4 people in the 12 noon 3D show, but suited me fine.

Lots of good comments above. My two cents
    1) Robert Downey Jr. stole the show (well after Whedon) as in Iron Man I and I HATE Iron Man as a comic character
    2) ACANTI done hella right!
    3) Hulk's beatdown of Loki

Quote Originally Posted by werehawk View Post
    Great movie. My theatre only had 4 people in the 12 noon 3D show, but suited me fine.

Lots of good comments above. My two cents
    1) Robert Downey Jr. stole the show (well after Whedon) as in Iron Man I and I HATE Iron Man as a comic character
    2) ACANTI done hella right!
    3) Hulk's beatdown of Loki
    If this indicates that we're past the point of worrying about spoilers... who or what is "ACANTI."
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

It slowed down and got wordy a couple times, but I loved it. Especially because...

Whedon wrote trading cards into a main thread of the script!!! Not comic books, but trading cards!!!

Seriously, he did:

http://squadcards.com/2012/05/05/cap...vengers-movie/

Superhero trading cards have always been our favorite hobby, and now it is immortal.
    "Because Squirrel Girl is too pure to fall prey to a zombie virus."
    - Rurik

The Executioners Axe.
    I am far beyond mutants as mutants are beyond you - Apocalypse

Loved every second of it. IMO Hulk stole the movie with his scenes. I was extremely surprised by Ruffalo's performance, especially his scenes in the helicarrier where he was showing his physical awkwardness around others. I actually think I ended up liking his performance more than Norton's.

Plus the comedy elements in the movie were actually funny and not overly cheesy i.e. Stark playing "Shoot to thrill", the Galaga SHIELD Agent, and especially Hulks punch on Thor

Cap giveing orders to the police officer reminded me of Captain Hindsight in Southpark :) while RDJ was excellent, the Hulk stole the movie, when he hulks out the second time i almost jumped with joy, and the bit with Loki , i love Thors adopted line, great delivery with it, and i totaly called who the guy in the credits would be after the opening with Loki, i turned to my friends and told them who would be revealed they stared at me blankly as they are not comic book fans, i felt the fim had alot of visual flaws but it was still an awesome movie, and an excellent job done by all to pull this epic movie off

Absolutley loved it! Had some slow moments that were a little boring (middle part aboard the hellicarrier) and I thought Loki sucks as a villian. RDJ and the Hulk definatley steal the show. Basically every one of RDJ lines were golden. I thought the funny one liners were well placed and came off good. I went with a buddy of mine and his sons who are all "DC Comics" fans and the mid credit scene they are all like is thatDarkseid? Plus there must of been some "comic book geeks" there. There were like 4 dudes jumping up and down and cheering at the mid credits scene.

Favorite scenes:

1. RDJ scenes with Pepper at the beginning (and Peppers short jean shorts)
    2. Captain America casually slipping Fury the $10
    3. Hulk punching Thor
    4. Hulk Beatdown of Loki
    5. RDJ lines at the end "please tell me nobody kissed me", "let's take tommorrow off"
    Last edited by Chachi; 05-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Not to mention:
    - Cap being all excited over understanding the Wizard Of Oz reference.
    - the SHIELD agent playing Galaga
    - Cap casually handing Fury his ten dollars
    - Coulsen's trading cards
    - Pepper in general

This film was hilarious.
    SPOILERS

I'm trying to remember all of Iron Man's nicknames for everyone. There were several for a few characters, and I don't remember them all, but they were great

Thor was "nice swing, Point Break." And his Shakepeare in the park taunt and "wearing your mother's robes comment were great...

Loki was Reindeer Games, Rock of Ages... had a "glowstick of destiny."

There were more, but I can't think of them. This movie was pretty hilarious.

i watched this movie with a tear in my eye, this is the epitome of everything that i love about comics and super heroes, the child in me took one large breathe and didnt exhale till the credits. what a ride.