Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Terrifying "Hellraiser: Origins" Pitch Reimagines Horror Franchise

Director Mike Le Han and production designer Paul Gerrard produced an impressive teaser video intended to accompany a pitch for a "Hellraiser" reboot.

Full article here.

That looks okay, but only in the sense that it's no worse than any of the other non-Barker instalments in the series. And then it spoke and apparently Pinhead now has one of the most inapropriately funny voices ever. It's like they tried to go for outright parody.

I just wish somebody remembered the Cenobytes aren't supposed to be demons from hell at all...
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I just wish somebody remembered the Cenobytes aren't supposed to be demons from hell at all...
    Right, they are former humans who embrace Hell so much they 'graduate' into being Cenobites/demons. I just wonder if Barker is going to stick with how he changed things via the comics. There he stated that it was his intention all along that the heroine Kirstie became a 'compassionate' Pinhead herself, as a counter balance to the regular Pinhead as a form of hellish Yin-Yang. In the comics the Kirstie Pinhead only goes after those deserving to be damned, while the regular Pinhead goes after anyone he can get his hands on via the puzzle boxes.

And the concept of this slightly tweaked Barker Hell is that those who are suffering are simply people who want too much sensation, that they want to go physically beyond what man was designed for. And on top of that, from the few issues I read, our Earth is as close to Heaven as it gets. Your family and just your human existence are supposed to be seen as divine. So cable bills, back acne, and family Thanksgivings are as good as it gets for a Barker universe, lol.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 12-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Heaven and Hell are a matter of perspective.

Oh well, it's got to be better than the last one. They've set the bar so low with the last movie that the new one had better come with an apology letter. I wonder if they'll get Barker on here somehow.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Heaven and Hell are a matter of perspective.

Oh well, it's got to be better than the last one. They've set the bar so low with the last movie that the new one had better come with an apology letter. I wonder if they'll get Barker on here somehow.
    Barker's been trying to get a remake/reboot off the ground for years now.

Here's something he said about it not long ago.

HOT FROM HELL! My friends,I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity-honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film-was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch.

What can I tell you about it?

Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley,and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed, I will open a Lemarchand Configuration, dip my quill in its contents and start writing. I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here ,because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent ,me.

My very best wishes to you all,my friends. Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Right, they are former humans who embrace Hell so much they 'graduate' into being Cenobites/demons.
    Hell had no place in their mythology originally. They were neutral hedonists. The moment they became demons from hell was the moment they became cartoonish, generic bad guys.

Originally, what humans call heaven and hell was just one place and what you called it depended on your point of view.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Angels to some, Demons to others.

At least in the book there was the theory that other boxes lead to other paradises, it's just a matter of what you're looking for. Frank totally totally deserved the Lament Configuration. The Cenobitres were definitely demons from Hell, but they were a different kind of demon or a different kind of Hell. Which is what writers forget when they're randomly adding Pinhead to completely unrelated stories just to say they made a Hellraiser movie and keep the rights. Everyone involved in copyright law also deserves the Lament Configuration.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

As long as its Bradley and him going ......

It will be alright.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Bradley is getting on a bit by now.

Bradley last appearance as pinhead in 2005

I hope they don't do a reboot im so sick of reboots.
    Albert Oh choptop you're the kooky side of murder.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    At this point it'd be preferable to a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    They already replaced Bradley! I can accept them replacing the standing actor in a remake, but not that.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Director Mike Le Han and production designer Paul Gerrard produced an impressive teaser video intended to accompany a pitch for a "Hellraiser" reboot.

Full article here.
    I'll throw my hat in the ring and say: Horrifying in that it's not the uneasy creep I get from Barker's Hellraiser, which is still unsettling and evil in spots.

I'm glad Clive is working on the script - I wish he'd direct again too. I am eagerly awaiting the return of Pinhead in print.

Doug Bradley was the bee's knees in the original film. I love his performance.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Bradley is getting on a bit by now.

Bradley last appearance as pinhead in 2005
    And that was the only good part of that movie (subtitled Hellworld), and also the only part that actually felt like a Hellraiser movie.

Oddly, the cash grab to hold onto the rights from a few years ago wasn't that bad. Wasn't that great, but it was watchable.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 12-21-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

Wasn't Clive going to do a story pitting Pinhead against Harry D'Amour, which would have ended with Pinhead finally being destroyed once and for all? I guess Clive didn't want to destroy his most successful intellectual property.